Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Illegally spaced number plate
ED209

RE: Illegally spaced number plate

(11-07-2012 08:45am)speary Wrote:  I believe that the DVLA will shortly be relaxing the rules on number/letter spacing on UK number plates to allow us to make words etc. Part of the reasoning is that the DVLA will generate more revenue as they can sell more private plates that make words

A bad move in my opion, just means the idiots will take the mick even more. Some of the plates people think they can get away with at the min bear no resemblance at all to what they are actually meant to say, this will only get worse.

It will also cause issues for ANPR cameras, after all if the camera doesnt read your plate when your car is reported stolen because its chavved up it might prevent your stolen car getting recovered. It will also make it harder for witnesses to get correct reg numbers of cars involved in fail to stop accidents.

To be honest I think it should be classed as a mod by insurance companies and should increase/invalidate your insurance. A persons vanity should not take priority over the prevention of crime/terrorism, the recovery of stolen property or the apprehension of offenders.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
11-07-2012 10:49am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Urban Splash

Interesting debate.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of private plates. In my mind they are primarily used by range rover sport drivers to disguise the age of their car....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
11-07-2012 11:14am
Nowaytk

To be honest I think it should be classed as a mod by insurance companies and should increase/invalidate your insurance. A persons vanity should not take priority over the prevention of crime/terrorism, the recovery of stolen property or the apprehension of offenders.
[/quote]

+1

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
11-07-2012 11:24am
Token

I got pulled for having an incorrectly spaced plate a few years ago...the PC who pulled me was a mature chap who spoke to me like I was his son (in a nice way rather than in a condescending way)...he asked me to get it changed as soon as I could and told me to be on my way. I asked whether or not he was going to give me a producer to which he replied 'I'm sure you won't let me down, I trust you'...foolish perhaps, but actually made me feel bad (it would have been like letting my dad down!) so I changed it within 24hrs and have never had an incorrectly spaced plate since!

I do now have a personalised plate again which spells my company name...not vanity, but good advertising. And it certainly doesn't make my car look newer, as I needed a double LL so it looks like an 11 plate rather than a 61 that it should be!

Personalised plates certainly divide opinion...let's face it, they are well known as Vanity plates...and I am torn on them. I used to think they were cool (hence why I had a plate incorrectly spaced to spell my name) but then when I changed it (thanks to dad PC) I thought they were really crap and lame...now I figure that whilst it is all about vanity, so are many things...that's why we have bigger wheels that make the car more uncomfortable, that's why we select a colour at a cost when white would be free, etc etc. Ultimately, if I could afford a Phantom with VR1 as a number plate I would...and I suspect most people would if they are honest (albeit, most would probably change the initials!!)

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
11-07-2012 12:12pm
cjfp

I have no issue with (reasonable) misspace if the font is legal

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-07-2012 12:18pm
DiscoDad

My view on personalised plates are that they should be legally spaced with legal lettering, no black screws in odd places etc. as they look Censored!
I have 2 cherished numbers for my cars and people who know me will instantly know what they mean. Others may be able to guess if they noticed that it was not a correct age plate for the car.
More subtle I think.

Ordered 3-4-2012 - Build date 27-6-2012 - Delivery expected 9-7-2012 - Actual delivery 29-6-2012
SD4 Auto Dynamic, Orkney Grey with black pano roof, style 7 wheels, lux pack, verve interior, ebony headlining, privacy glass, adaptive xenons, heated steering wheel, load retension system.
11-07-2012 03:03pm
Pricy147

If the plate is good enough - it doesnt need illegal spacing. I have a variant of 'snooker' - and there is no mistaking it - the amount of looks, emergency stops, etc you get from cars trying to see who is driving is hilarious Very Happy

I have had one guy stooping down taking snaps of the back of my TT with the plate on. He was mesmorised lol

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 04:54pm by Pricy147.)
11-07-2012 04:53pm
The Valeter

I see some cars with illegal plates & wonder how they get away with it.
On a similar note I thought immigrants that decided to settle here with their car had to register it with UK plates after 6 months - there are two Polish cars near me that still wear their plates after being here at least 2 years.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
11-07-2012 05:35pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

(11-07-2012 10:49am)ED209 Wrote:  A bad move in my opion, just means the idiots will take the mick even more. Some of the plates people think they can get away with at the min bear no resemblance at all to what they are actually meant to say, this will only get worse.

It will also cause issues for ANPR cameras, after all if the camera doesnt read your plate when your car is reported stolen because its chavved up it might prevent your stolen car getting recovered. It will also make it harder for witnesses to get correct reg numbers of cars involved in fail to stop accidents.

It will only be the spacing that is allowed to change. All other regulations will still apply.
I have a private plate but wont be changing the spacing as i dont see the point, plus I will have to buy new plates.
The main reason for DVLA allowing this is to make money with no regard for your comments above

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
11-07-2012 05:37pm
BobM

A little word of warning about mis-spacing/mis-representing/wrong size, font etc. Get caught once you will probably get the chance to have it rectified if its not too outrageous. Get caught again and you run the risk of having your plate recalled by DVLA with no refund and the possibility of your car being issued with a non transferable number or worse a Q plate - as well as the fine that will undoubtedly go with it.

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
11-07-2012 07:47pm