Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How secure is the Evoque and........
iwf

RE: How secure is the Evoque and........

There's clearly a vulnerability whenever software is involved.

I think the old adage runs along the lines of there being more people trying to hack into software than there are people trying to keep them out.

If indeed the software port is easily accessible, which is, of course good for servicing then the least they could do is put it somewhere secure, preferably behind something lockable, with a high current involved.

I've mailed Pete, so lets see how they respond.
28-10-2014 10:32am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Amadeus

The relocation of the OBD sounds like a good idea. Who'd have thought we would come full circle back to the "crook lock" as they are called in Australia - though we are not exactly a short ferry ride back to mainland Europe for these types of thieves!

eD4 Pure Fuji Coupe | Tech Pack | Pano Roof | Cirrus Leather | Powerfold Mirrors | Xenons | 19" Style 3s | arr 5Apr13
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 02:37pm by Amadeus.)
28-10-2014 02:37pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Fortunately for us in the UK the rest of Europe drives on the wrong side of the road to make RHD Evoques really popular, unfortunately for us we have lots of ready customers in the former Empire and colonies........... 100's of stolen cars get "smuggled" out of Felixstowe and Southampton in containers to places like Pakistan, India and Malaysia where a new Evoque is subject to phenomenal import tax on new cars............. making used ones a lot more attractive

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-10-2014 05:49pm
flibberflops

I think most of you in this thread are being a tiny bit unfair. As we know, Landrover have already reacted to this new threat by creating the 9 speed Evoque... a car which even the owners struggle to drive off down the road.
28-10-2014 07:26pm
iwf

I hear from my dealer that LR are to make a statement on Watchdog on Thursday.

Can't wait
28-10-2014 07:29pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(28-10-2014 07:26pm)flibberflops Wrote:  I think most of you in this thread are being a tiny bit unfair. As we know, Landrover have already reacted to this new threat by creating the 9 speed Evoque... a car which even the owners struggle to drive off down the road.

That is patently untrue, I've just driven 500 miles over the last 2 days in mine, at average speed of 66mph and mpg of 43.8 and I was in crawling traffic on the M6 round Brum and over a long distance on the M40. So if I can do it so can the lowlifes. Now have 5000 miles on the odo and the car gets better and better, apart from the vibrating panel over the Whitefire transmitter, which on the mostly smooth motorways has been silent on this drive!
Fuel gauge on arrival at destination shows I've also used 2/3rds of a tank of juice too, cannot complain on that front but I'll see how much it takes to fill the tank to see what the true mpg is

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-10-2014 08:01pm
CRC@LandRover

Hi All,

I can certainly appreciate the concern that this has caused and felt a response was required on this.

Land Rover is aware of a rise in the number of thefts of Land Rover products. The current Land Rover line-up continues to meet the insurance industry requirements as tested and agreed with the relevant insurance bodies, nevertheless the company has taken this issue very seriously and our engineering teams have been working in collaboration with insurance bodies and police forces to fully understand the attack risks facing Land Rover models. It is however important to remember that this is an industry-wide issue and not specific to Land Rover vehicles only.

We have released a number of security updates in the last 12 months and have further updates due this year. We are continually updating and improving our security systems to ensure we stay ahead of the criminals and the industry-wide problem which the motor industry in general is tackling on a daily basis.

Many thanks,
Pete

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
29-10-2014 10:47am
Sarcastrix

(29-10-2014 10:47am)Pete@LandRover Wrote:  We have released a number of security updates in the last 12 months and have further updates due this year.

How does one get these updates? I haven't had any comms from LR inviting me for free security updates nor read anything about them on this forum.

Anyone here been offered a security update?

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
29-10-2014 12:29pm
CRC@LandRover

Hi,

Any available software updates are carried out as standard course during visits to your Land Rover approved retailer.

Many thanks,
Pete

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
29-10-2014 12:48pm
Tony

Mine is just back again after spending another week at the dealers having the gearbox software updated. No mention was made of any security systems updates being installed, or being available soon or in the future.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 01:26pm by Tony.)
29-10-2014 01:25pm