Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How secure is the Evoque and........
Craig_d1

RE: How secure is the Evoque and........

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/...theft-risk

interesting as shows the scale of the problem for Land Rover. 294 Evoques and Sports stolen in first 6 months of the year, next car is the BMW X5 with 63 stolen. I'd like to know full fiugures for all cars though
27-10-2014 07:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One thing Land Rover could start off doing is take every Range Rover back and relocate the OBD Port to somewhere where it will be very very obvious that somebody is meddling with it to restore customer confidence in Land Rovers "impregnable" existing systems, like they could put it right at the back of the engine bay where you have to a)open and then b) remove the bonnet to gain access................. I would be interested to know if having the Incontrol Secure which is the only manuafcturer install Thatcham6 system makes it any more difficult to pinch the car. My ancient discloc has been removed from the loft and dusted off ready for my trip to the Range Rover theft capital of the UK this week. The only way to beat these thieves is to make it really obvious that they are breaking into the car to steal it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-10-2014 09:02pm
Donny Dog

Maybe I should get one of these kits the thieves are buying on line so I can start my car when It tells me the" key is not recognised"!
27-10-2014 09:48pm
t16mbo

Not got my evoque yet so where is obd located
on my Rs it's located in a blind spot of alarmSad
Wire a dummy port in Smile)
One of the best things thieves hate is a disclok
Most of the Rs took didn't have.
27-10-2014 10:52pm
iwf

Mmmmm

Beginning to wonder if the Evoque is the wrong car for me. So far my insurer says I can have insurance, even though it's going to be parked in the street, but I wonder how long for.

Surely LR are going to have to respond....
28-10-2014 12:52am
t16mbo

Ford won't respond.
BMW did
28-10-2014 08:08am
mighTTy-RRE

Having worked for a major Japanese brand, lets put some perspective on this.

3 or 4 years ago we were having problems with the cost of fixing their (high end) vehicles when all keys were lost. The cost to us was horrendous, new ECU(s) keys and programming requiring information from Japan for the unique coding. Cost to us was several thousands.

Then we became aware of products available which would circumvent all this aggravation which we purchased for a very small sum direct from China and hey presto the cost to us was now reduced to 2 new keys.

The Japanese manufacturer said this was not possible.
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 08:12am by mighTTy-RRE.)
28-10-2014 08:11am
iwf

Personally I don't care what it costs the manufacturer to make their cars secure.

If in making their servicing port, the OPD , so accessible they've made the thing insecure then they ought to put it right.

Anyone aware of any after sales products, apart from a physical steering wheel lock (which I will purchase) which might help. That said, if I can't get reasonbly priced insurance, it'll be the final nail in the coffin for my Evoque purchase.
28-10-2014 08:22am
mighTTy-RRE

The perspective I was trying to get across is the Japanese manufacturer believes their security is high (and probably still do).

The reality is a cheap Chinese box of electronics circumvents this security with ease.

This is not just a JLR problem it is industry wide.
28-10-2014 08:33am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(27-10-2014 10:52pm)t16mbo Wrote:  Not got my evoque yet so where is obd located
on my Rs it's located in a blind spot of alarmSad
Wire a dummy port in Smile)
One of the best things thieves hate is a disclok
Most of the Rs took didn't have.

Theives hate anything that is going to slow down their activities, is really obivious or is going to shed light on their activities - hence the recommendation to park in well lighted places with lots of people around. Why do you think multistorey carparks suddenly went from being dull and dingy to being painted white with good lighting - too many cars were beibg stolen from then. In the old days thieves needed a tool kit to steel a car, today all they need is a box of tricks the size of a cigarette packet.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 08:54am by XFullFatTim.)
28-10-2014 08:53am