Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How often do you wash your Evoque?
Alex

How often do you wash your Evoque?

Since I collected my car mid December I have been hand washing my car at least every week.

I have been doing a lot of motorway driving and guess as its winter plus owning a white Evoque it gets dirty very quickly (annoyingly tiny yellow spots appear which is always difficult to remove). In fact it's amazing just how much dirt appears on a white car, despite it looking nice when clean wondering if I should have chosen a different colour.

However I read somewhere in winter you should wash your car every week due to the buid up of salts from the road etc on the paintwork.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
15-02-2012 09:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sethor

RE: How often do you wash your Evoque?

Use a clay bar to remove the yellow spots, much better than trying to scrub off with a sponge.

Washing weekly is a good idea if there is salts on the road, make sure you give the undercarrage a good rinse as well.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
15-02-2012 09:54pm
WB
WB

I wouldnt recommend using clay on a regular basis as no matter how hard you try you will Marr your paint. So unless you are planning to polish after each clay you'll degrade your paint. I'd suggest a tar / iron remover if you are seeing spots that don't come off with normal washing
15-02-2012 10:52pm
dandavis1

Weekly also, but have been wondering if it's too much. Worried that I'm slowly damaging the paintwork rather than protecting it.

Also, it's not good for my nerves as washing it so often means I know every inch of the car very well and immediately notice the slightest mark or scratch of which, after 5000 miles, there are quite a few!
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 12:34am by dandavis1.)
16-02-2012 12:33am
sethor

(15-02-2012 10:52pm)WB Wrote:  I wouldnt recommend using clay on a regular basis as no matter how hard you try you will Marr your paint. So unless you are planning to polish after each clay you'll degrade your paint. I'd suggest a tar / iron remover if you are seeing spots that don't come off with normal washing

I've have used clay bars once every few months on my cars for years never had an issue. You can marr the paintwork with incorrect use mainly too much pressure or/& not enough lubricant.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
16-02-2012 02:58am
Barneyridge

My cars are usually washed once a week. Maybe a light polish (Meguiars Tech wax) every 2 months. That keeps all previous car clean, without going over the top with top shelf products and crazy amounts of time.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
16-02-2012 03:11am
chiggy

Had mine for a week... washed it once... so in conclusion.. weekly so far.

However I don't plan on washing it every week unless its ridiculously dirty.

I do plan on washing the brake dust off the wheels every Sunday and cleaning the windows.

Will do a massive clean-up once a month...

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
16-02-2012 03:21am
Alex

(16-02-2012 12:33am)dandavis1 Wrote:  Weekly also, but have been wondering if it's too much. Worried that I'm slowly damaging the paintwork rather than protecting it.

Also, it's not good for my nerves as washing it so often means I know every inch of the car very well and immediately notice the slightest mark or scratch of which, after 5000 miles, there are quite a few!

So true, washing the Evoque used to be somewhat therapeutic but now I'm full of anxiety on what new marks/scratches may appear (guess it can't be showroom condition for ever).

Out of curiosty my Fuji White scratches/chips reveal a black base coat or not sure of its the primer. On my last car that was black scratches revealed a white base coat, so I thought when choosing a white car scratches would be less noticeable. For those that have darker colours is the base coat white, grey?

Also I assume while washing a car weekly and using correct products would not damage the paint work?

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
16-02-2012 08:10am
chiggy

I'm only going to be using special products once a month during my "major wash" i.e. car shampoo and polish etc.

Otherwise its just going to be hosing it down to get all the dirt build-up etc off and just using a sponge/squidgy to get most of the dirt off with water only and then dry.

no watches or anything sharp of course on me...

extremely therapeutic so far washing it though... love it.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
16-02-2012 08:22am
lngrn36

(16-02-2012 08:10am)Alex Wrote:  So true, washing the Evoque used to be somewhat therapeutic but now I'm full of anxiety on what new marks/scratches may appear (guess it can't be showroom condition for ever).

Out of curiosty my Fuji White scratches/chips reveal a black base coat or not sure of its the primer. On my last car that was black scratches revealed a white base coat, so I thought when choosing a white car scratches would be less noticeable. For those that have darker colours is the base coat white, grey?

Also I assume while washing a car weekly and using correct products would not damage the paint work?

Yes. At least on the area around the tag on the rear. I have to inspect it closely, but it is a little thin in that area. I was thinking like you when I bought the black. Primer would be black, so no problem. Wrong!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
16-02-2012 09:59am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply