Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many miles out of a full tank
vinda

RE: How many miles out of a full tank

Does that mean do not run the sd4 to when the screen says 0 miles left in the tank. What's the minimum I should drive it before refilling
10-10-2011 11:07am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spiderman

(10-10-2011 11:07am)vinda Wrote:  Does that mean do not run the sd4 to when the screen says 0 miles left in the tank. What's the minimum I should drive it before refilling

1/4 tank or thereabouts....Very Happy

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
10-10-2011 11:53am
gead

(10-10-2011 11:53am)Spiderman Wrote:  
(10-10-2011 11:07am)vinda Wrote:  Does that mean do not run the sd4 to when the screen says 0 miles left in the tank. What's the minimum I should drive it before refilling

Seriously? I always ran my tank to the point when the yellow light would come on.... Is this a diesel specific thing? This will be my first diesel car....

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
10-10-2011 11:56am
gomark

(10-10-2011 11:56am)gead Wrote:  
(10-10-2011 11:53am)Spiderman Wrote:  

Seriously? I always ran my tank to the point when the yellow light would come on.... Is this a diesel specific thing? This will be my first diesel car....

Have often run my BMW 635d to say 20 odd miles left on the range and refilled. Never had any problems. Nor have i ever heard of any.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 12:07pm by gomark.)
10-10-2011 12:06pm
Spiderman

You can run it until almost empty if you want, however, any impurities that are sitting at the bottom of your tanks may get sucked through your fuel systems if it gets too low, then again I do not have any 24/7 Fuel Stations nearby so I always like to keep it topped up to ensure I can make any journey!

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
10-10-2011 12:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

In most RR's you can run until the computer says 0 (you have a lot of faith in trip computers though!) after that there is still a reserve in the tank to protect the HP fuel system of something like 5ltrs. It also mean that should be so stupid as to run that low you also will not need to get LRA out to reprise the fuel system. Basically you cannot run the tank to vapour/ dry. The car's satnav will warn you when you need to fuel up too as it will automatically switch the screen to show all the filling stations in your area.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 01:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-10-2011 01:20pm
Evoqess

(10-10-2011 11:02am)DynamicRRV Wrote:  When you take into account the price difference for Diesel v Petrol and the MPG of both they are very much the same in the real world. Hardly any difference at all price wise.

So this blows my mind! In Canada the few VW TDI products (Jetta, Golf) have proud owners declaring they can get 900km or more per tank - but driving open road without a traffic light in sight. So for urban dwellers who do short trips with frequent stops, the diesel = petrol for fueling costs? Wow. Shocked
Then I don't know why so many people on this forum chose the diesel - in real world urban driving are diesel adopters ill informed? Although the chug-a-lug engine sound is something I find pleasing - do you do a lot of open road driving?

There might be some huge lessons on this forum!
1. In urban conditions running a diesel = petrol
2. The BMW X series is not crap in the snow if you fit winter tires Laughing

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
10-10-2011 06:58pm
ytshome

I don't think that any of the current batch of auto Evoques will be the last word in fuel efficiency. I think that JLR recognise this and that's why they are building a new engine plant. Personally I never believe what manufacturers say about fuel efficiency as the figure seem to bare little relation to the real world but the auto express (CarMag) test of an SI4, where it averaged 16MPG meant that it was a bit too thirsty to be a contender for me and I quite like the lazy way lots of torque bundles you along. YT

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
10-10-2011 07:16pm
PhilSkill

(10-10-2011 07:16pm)ytshome Wrote:  I don't think that any of the current batch of auto Evoques will be the last word in fuel efficiency. I think that JLR recognise this and that's why they are building a new engine plant. Personally I never believe what manufacturers say about fuel efficiency as the figure seem to bare little relation to the real world but the auto express (CarMag) test of an SI4, where it averaged 16MPG meant that it was a bit too thirsty to be a contender for me and I quite like the lazy way lots of torque bundles you along. YT

I read recently in What Car (so it must be true Wink ) that if you do less than 12000 miles a year the additional cost of fuel, servicing and exhaust particulate filter maintenance etc on a diesel then you are no real better off than ownng a petrol.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-10-2011 09:37pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The type of driving I do (and my annual figure is less than 10k miles) I wouldn't dream of pounding from one end of the UK to the other in a petrol engined car, BUT if my 10k were 75% or more in town then I wouldn't consider the diesel. As it is I live 16 miles out of town, 5 miles from the next village with a bank/GP/Post Office and make 5-6 trips south each year in the car (because despite everything you read the peanut airlines are still more expensive than driving south after you take into account ALL the costs on top of the flights like airport parking at Glasgow it's now £23 a day, Tube into London etc) it makes more sense to have the diesel, which will also appeal to more people in this area when it come to time to sell the car

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-10-2011 09:44pm