Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many miles out of a full tank
PhilSkill

RE: How many miles out of a full tank

Yes, most of mine is 50+ mph or Motorway these days so diesel suits now, and generally diesel drives much easier with the low down torque, certainly lots of short journeys is worst case for diesel though.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-10-2011 10:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Evoques auto box is also an adaptive one that learns your driving style (like all the LR autos). If I drive into Stirling it is almost a dead flat and straight road with one hamlet to pass through and one roundabout to negotiate. With the toque of the engine I can force it into 6th gear by using the flappy paddles at 50mph and then cruise at 60. After 3-4 times a week doing the trip the 'box now shifts up of it's own accord into 6th at 50mph. The car doesn't have the tidal wave of torque that my TDv8 RRS and FFRR had but it will still leap away in kick down or if I use the paddles to downshift when I want to overtake slow traffic or tractors towing beasty wagons full of sheep and cows to market. If I really want to play than I just snick the selector into S, but I also have to engage brain and remember to manually shift with the paddles. The diesel is cruising at 1600rpm at 60 in 6th, it's engine is hardly working, but just imagine what the same engine in the new XF with the 8 speed auto is like....... 60 at 1300 Rpm, right on the peak torque, and only tyre noise for company!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 11:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-10-2011 11:39pm
mywillia

(10-10-2011 09:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  (because despite everything you read the peanut airlines are still more expensive than driving south after you take into account ALL the costs on top of the flights)

And the fact that when you take into account getting to the airport early +1 hr, delays from the "Fly Maybe" airline and then the commute at the other end, in my case it's actually quicker to drive 275miles than to fly or catch the train. Flight works out at 5.5 hrs door to door if it's on time, the train is 6 hrs. I can cruise at 70 at 7:00pm at night and do the journey in a little over 4 hrs door to door. Combined with the fact that I can do the whole journey for £50 of diesel (that my work reimburses) in comfort and my own space.

Delivered:-
Firenze Red Dynamic SD4 Coupe Manual with Lux pack
Verve Leather
20" Shadow Chrome Alloys
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
11-10-2011 01:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've abandoned all the "cheap" airlines - BA has actually worked out cheaper the last 4 times I have flown to London and I now fly to London City which is so much more convenient to LHR or Luton for the City - 20 minutes max from Tower Gateway or Bank to LCY beats an hour out to LHR or 1.5hours out to Luton too

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-10-2011 09:14pm
hybris

320d is very hard to compete with in terms of fuel economy. Not fair to compare to an SUV as its one of the most efficient diesel engines in the market. Wink The 320d with good winter tires should be ok in winter conditions as long as you drive safely. Rear wheel drive and winter conditions needs a special kind of driving. (small wheel turns, high gears, careful on the accelerator, plan for braking etc) The good thing is that you drive carefully. Many people in 4*4 don't understand that there are laws of physics even for them... Well they understand but a bit to late. Wink

I currently have a BMW X5 3.0d (E70) and really hope the Evoque will have a better fuel economy. If not it would be a disaster as the X5 is way larger and heavier car. But from what I can read it should not be an issue. The evoque is "ok" but I don't expect it to be nearly as good fuel economy as the X1 2.0d or X3 2.0d.

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
12-10-2011 06:27am