Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How Often Do You Check Fluid Levels?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: How Often Do You Check Fluid Levels?

The wheel nut thing.................. I had a very embarrassing night drive off road in my Defender last year, new Zu alloys with MTRs fitted drove all day Friday, all day Saturday covering about 110 miles of on and off rad in Argyll. Driving down a very rough and tricky section of terrain I had to stop, then I hear on the CB that somebody as just had a nice alloy wheel roll passed their car.............. Somebody needs to check they haven't lost one........... With which my Defender settled down on it rear near axle in the mud. All 5 wheel nuts had worked undone with te vibration. I had my wheel and no punctures to the tyre but had lost 5 special wheel nuts along the track. Just as well LR use 5 nuts on each hub as somebody else jacked the car up with a Hi Lift farm jack and I put the wheel on while somebody else with a cordless torque drill and wheel nut fitting removed one nut from the 3 remain wheels and one from the spare on the back door and I was able to very carefully drive 90 miles home without a flat bed truck to assist. So yes now I check wheel nuts religiously when I do the other weekly checks - I even invested in a torque wrench and a suitably powerful battery powered drill with torque setting and a wheel nut fitting as well as a Hi-Lift jack. Strange, I've never found a loose wheel but since! It was a good job it all happened at 5mph off road and not at 60mph on the road!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2012 02:41pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-07-2012 02:38pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChuckieB

RE: How Often Do You Check Fluid Levels?

Probably needs four or five attempts to be comfortable what the level is!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
15-07-2012 02:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply