Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Handling Found Wanting
Fireysam

RE: Handling Found Wanting

(11-03-2012 11:57am)defender_uk Wrote:  ...and actually Mark, I thoroughly object to that first sentence. Arrogant, rude and down-right patronising.

Have to agree Mark...very presumptious, and at the very least, patronising. So just to balance it out...heres my patronising response to you

Every major critic and commentator tends to disagree with you including a few happy people on here, with rave reviews, high sales and numerous awards (although they maybe actually take the car for what it is)...but your right Mark, maybe all these people are wrong and your right .....LR have obviously missed a trick by not employing you to show them the error of their ways ....Tell me this , given all this evidence to the contrary...Have you ever considered in your case it may just be that you're not a particularly good driver?

Delivered ...Prestige SD4 Barolo Black, Style 6 sparkle Silver Alloys ....oh yes
11-03-2012 01:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

No, I haven't ever considered that possibility, actually. Hey, all I'm suggesting is that the Dynamic ADS setting provides a more sporting, flatter cornering drive than it does now.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
11-03-2012 01:14pm
oop north

Interesting stuff - some of what Mark says is lost in the coloured (ie, non-neutral) language he used. There is a possibility that driving tuition could help (I know my driving skills certainly could do with improvement - having had a caterham superlight didn't make me a good driver, ditto 911).

Perhaps if mark wasn't so rude to people who think differently from him they wouldn't be rude straight back Smile Your last post was far better!

And that the car has won lots of awards is irrelevant, ditto that lots of people think it is great - no problem with Mark wanting something different. I do wonder why people have to get so upset when others have different opinions, though?

Anyway, I had a discovery which, when it was working, I loved because it "encouraged" me to relax and waft everywhere. Haven't driven an Evoque yet but I am hoping it won't be too sporty cos that then makes me drive faster and not relax
11-03-2012 01:45pm
Fireysam

(11-03-2012 01:45pm)oop north Wrote:  Interesting stuff - some of what Mark says is lost in the coloured (ie, non-neutral) language he used. There is a possibility that driving tuition could help (I know my driving skills certainly could do with improvement - having had a caterham superlight didn't make me a good driver, ditto 911).

Perhaps if mark wasn't so rude to people who think differently from him they wouldn't be rude straight back Smile Your last post was far better!

And that the car has won lots of awards is irrelevant, ditto that lots of people think it is great - no problem with Mark wanting something different. I do wonder why people have to get so upset when others have different opinions, though?

Anyway, I had a discovery which, when it was working, I loved because it "encouraged" me to relax and waft everywhere. Haven't driven an Evoque yet but I am hoping it won't be too sporty cos that then makes me drive faster and not relax

You hit the nail on the head when you said if mark wasn't so rude .... I have no axe to grind either way and have a delivery date next month and don't own one as yet...simple fact is Mark's point was lost when he made assumptions about every one else on here .... How can you expect people to engage in a debate when you blow it in the first few lines of your post?

I'm not in the business of being patronising but I'm also not a fan of people assuming I'm some superficial happy clapper .....why don't we try again without the generalised comments ??

Delivered ...Prestige SD4 Barolo Black, Style 6 sparkle Silver Alloys ....oh yes
11-03-2012 02:05pm
mark_n

If you look at the list of suggested improvements being compiled, it concentrates on the minutiae of the central console operation which is what makes me think most owners think the handling is fine. Of course I don't expect it to rival a focussed sports car but I'd like to see it do better.

Mark

11-03-2012 02:34pm
lngrn36

(11-03-2012 02:34pm)mark_n Wrote:  If you look at the list of suggested improvements being compiled, it concentrates on the minutiae of the central console operation which is what makes me think most owners think the handling is fine. Of course I don't expect it to rival a focussed sports car but I'd like to see it do better.

Actually I enjoyed your first review and this update. I think generally people that have bought the Evoque were not looking for a sports car. I posted when mine was new that to me it felt like a sports cars to me, and was summarily whacked for that comment.
What I should have said is that it handles closer to a sports car than my Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, Regular Cab F-150 that was changed with many performance parts.
Like many here I bought it for it looks and it's off-road ability. I'm happy.
However, I do have a question. Which wheels and tires did you use to conduct your test?

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
11-03-2012 03:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ezandania

Handling Found Wanting

You could try lowering it a bit Mark...try some lowering springs (H&R?), and maybe a wider set of wheels/stickier tyres combo. Evoque uses 245/45-20 right...while toprange Touregs, X5M etc use at least 265/285 series tyres with 9" or 10" wide wheels.
Remember the Evoque was packaged as a luxury vehicle..and the Dynamic pack is made for those who wanted more 'road presence'. I think what we have is the 'balanced setup'. If you need a more aggressive/edgier setup, its the aftermarket route or wait around for the Sports.

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
11-03-2012 03:36pm
mark_n

I'm using the 20" Type 6 with the Continentals as supplies as standard.

Mark

11-03-2012 03:56pm
Token

I think the handling is great, not a patch on the 911 GT2 I had but I didn't expect it to be.

I wanted something in between a Range Rover and a sports coupe (not a super car such as the 911 Turbo) and the Evoque is bang on. Very comfortable luxury ride (but not quite the level of a Range Rover) in normal mode, and a sporty ride/feel in Dynamic mode (but not quite the level of a 3-series m-coupe).

I think it finds a remarkable balance and I'm impressed with it. But if Mark has an engineering background and thinks it is possible to maintain the balance but make it better in one or both aspects then great...let's hope that happens. I don't have the knowledge to know if it's possible. I would say that we should of course not forget that this car has been compromised in many areas to maintain the design, a decision that can't be argued with but will frustrate some I'm sure.

As for people being offended by Marks attitude to those more worried about stuff inside the car...to be honest, most of us are that way inclined and I refuse to be ashamed of it or be offended by Marks observation, it is of course true! In the same way, I'm sure Mark wouldnt be offended if I suggested he is a car geek and probably the sort of person to lay the table for breakfast the night before! We are all different and that's a good thing!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
11-03-2012 04:45pm
J77

The one thing I do enjoy about Marks posts is theres always a good debate.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
11-03-2012 04:57pm