Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Fuel economy , finally a big improvement
Jonathon555

RE: Fuel economy , finally a big improvement

I have noticed that the air intake tube is very very small for any engine. When you unplug it from the wing the cross sectional area left is tiny.

[Image: 60827271.jpg]

Going in to the air filter
[Image: a0f77403.jpg]

The filter neck feed even narrower as it sits inside the other one
[Image: 4c29c09d.jpg]

I am thinking of fitting a free flow air filter to see if it helps the economy as that air feed looks tiny for a 2.2 capacity

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
11-08-2012 09:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Took mine to Devon last week, SD4 Manual, M5 very busy all the way, had to detour off motorway around Bristol lots of roundabouts, and wasnt driving slowly and got nearly 39mpg.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-08-2012 11:28pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Jonathon, unfortunately 99% of owners will never try it but one good reason for having a smaller intake is because of the location LR gave it to a) reduce chances of water intake when deep wading and b) to reduce the amount of sand/ dust drawn in when driving in places LR imagines people might want to take their Evoque - it wears the LR Oval after all so customers expect it to do what Land Rovers are well known for. I'm sure that the engineers will have wanted a larger intake but then it would have had to have been at the front of the engine which would have made the engine more at risk of hydraulicing by water intake. One thing for sure, while it may not be the largest around, the intake will be big enough for the job.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 09:12am by XFullFatTim.)
12-08-2012 09:10am
vinda

Has anyone else used this item. Really interested but just wondered if it affects warranty. If removed will dealer be able to trace the info from inboard computer.
12-08-2012 11:27am
Kentboy

(10-08-2012 08:18pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  The Economy module £149.99 from a local company.

Can the moderators confirm that we are allowed to name products on this forum, i have no affiliation with the manufacturer of the product.

If the moderators say its ok , then i will post the details.

I don't quite understand why when the vehicle costs £45,000 LR don't include an extra part that costs just £150 and gives an extra MPG that would surely attract significant additional sales, or would it detrimentaly effect the vehicles performance?

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
12-08-2012 03:24pm
Jonathon555

The car is developed to be sold all over the world and run on grades of fuel that are not as good as ours.

So the engine has to make allowances for that. If it was just setup for one country such as ours to run on our fuel, i am sure the car would be more economical and powerful. That is how companies like Bell auto services can remap them to take advantage of what the engine can do.

But it appears some manufacturers do offer these type of boxes as add on e.g mercedes through there accessories catalogue

I am sure if enough customers moan about the dismal standard economy compared to official figures maybe landrover will to.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
12-08-2012 03:42pm
Kentboy

(12-08-2012 03:42pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  The car is developed to be sold all over the world and run on grades of fuel that are not as good as ours.

So the engine has to make allowances for that. If it was just setup for one country such as ours to run on our fuel, i am sure the car would be more economical and powerful. That is how companies like Bell auto services can remap them to take advantage of what the engine can do.

But it appears some manufacturers do offer these type of boxes as add on e.g mercedes through there accessories catalogue

I am sure if enough customers moan about the dismal standard economy compared to official figures maybe landrover

Interesting Jonathon, I thought fuel was much more universal in quality. I have learned something!

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 04:14pm by Kentboy.)
12-08-2012 04:02pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Poor diesel quality is a problem outside Europe Kentboy, even in the USofA they cannot make diesel of good enough quality for many European Diesel engines to run on and "city" ultra low sulphur diesel is almost unheard of outside of Europep and Australia/NZ. Whenever LR sends new models out to drive across Europe/Russia to the far east they are always V8 petrol engined versions as they are less problematical with poor quality diesel fuel. I was offered an office job in the US just after taking delivery of a BMW engined FFRR TD6 after a lot of communications with LR they advised to leave it in the UK as no LR mechanics in the USA would know how to service the car!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-08-2012 04:30pm
Bodlyfunctions

(10-08-2012 08:55pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  I have no affiliation at all with this company .

I popped down to there garage the other day after seeing an advert on the net. I have used lots of economy / tuning boxes from a variety of companies on all of my diesel cars.

I phoned them first to ask a few questiJons first , they answered them to my satisfaction so i decided to call round.

The box they supplied me took 2 mins to fIt , cr tech 2 multimap which has been preset for economy rather than power. It still gives a good torque boost and makes the car effortless on the motorway.

I knew that from experience the cars mpg readout would be fooled by fitting one of these modules. Because of the way they work. I ran a similar box on my last audi with dpf for 92,000 miles with no issues at all.

So i used the milage readout and a calculator to see if it really did anything

Well after 441 miles being the max milage from 55 ltrs as standard , i had a bench mark.

I fitted the box the last tank did 510 miles out of 54.78 ltrs
The computer recconex 45 mpg , caculator says 42.26

The box is made by http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/

Its a 2 minute job to fit and is fully adjustable for economy or power

If you look on ebay there are many similar boxes

Really interested in this, especially as you have already seen the results.
Does anyone know if it effects warranties etc?
12-08-2012 08:00pm
Jonathon555

I have a lot of experience of using these units (different manufacturers) for the last 10 years of motoring.

Probably covering 300,000 + miles in the process in 3 different manufacturers cars without any issues

I will Normally remove the unit before any warranty work or service as these do not leave any imprint on the ecu or car.

There is a company called Tunit which offer a warranty to cover your engine for any done directly by fitting their unit ( i do not beleive they have ever had a claim.) Mercedes offer this style of module direct from their dealers.

However if my car was doing somewhere near the 49.6 mpg Landrover quotes i would have no need for one of these units , but it does not its so far short its a joke no matter how gentle it gets driven.

But its is ones personal choice, these units just work by adding fuels to ghe diesel rail. A full remap gets better results but you have to break into the ecu and change the chip.

So i opt for an economy module that can be fitted and removed in 2 mins

12-08-2012 08:21pm