Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flat Battery - Again
RacingSnake

RE: Flat Battery - Again

(04-11-2012 05:50pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  Interesting - I would be interested in seeing the contents of this one. Shocked
reply from the dealer: "This is to do with cars that show the “Low Battery” and/or go flat with no obvious cause.

Not a huge amount of detail about it."

Which doesn't really tell me any more about it... so I pushed back for more detail: "I think it is to do with cars that go flat repeatedly over a short time period; even with normal/high mileage use. Rather than a slow deterioration of the battery over an extended period of time with lower mileage use.

But this would be more an area that the service department would be qualified to explain/discuss."

So, none the wiser, as this is what I experienced... despite "this never happening before" Rolling Eyes

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
06-11-2012 12:14pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Here is what the TSB says
Quote: Reference : SSM60197

Models : Range Rover Evoque / L538

Title : Flat Battery (Low charge rate, Low battery displayed)

Category : Electrical

Last Modified : 22-Oct-2012 00:00:00

Symptom : 203000 Basic Electrical

Issue: Engineering are currently investigating reports of batteries losing
charge causing a non start (Flat Battery) where there are no obvious root causes.

Cause: Cause yet to be determined.

Action: Where possible engineering would like to see a vehicle with this
condition, Please submit an Epqr with Quiescent drain figures and charge voltages, please do not disconnect the battery or carry out battery replacement routine as this will remove all the data we need to view.
Please call XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX on 0151 XXX XXXX prior to undertaking any intrusive investigation, If possible a visit will be arranged to view the issue first hand

Twice this morning I have had this Low Battery box show in the 8" screen for a millisecond after pressing the starter button.
I remember on both Freelander2 and RRS there was a similar problem and it was eventually found to be a problem with the earthing strap between the gearbox and chassis/ body coming loose.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 02:05pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-11-2012 02:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tyke2

I got th ecar back. They have plugged in the computer nd it says there are no faults. So that great then. It will never be dead when I try to start it will it....
Oh and now the DAB has packed in.

Vw Campervan Hire - http://www.happydayscampers.co.uk
11-11-2012 11:52am
stef.c

Funny - I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge but I have had this issue resolved.

I had the same problem a lot of people seem to be having. The 'low battery warning' constantly when switching on the engine, the '3 minute warning' when using the radio when engine switched off etc. Was helpfully told by the dealership that this was all totally normal until one day - the battery went totally dead and the car wouldn't start.

Had LR assist round trying to sort it, jump leads etc. looking at the alternator but it was inconclusive. Ended up going to LR dealership for a few days where they eventually concluded, after ruling out nearly everything else, that it was simply a software update! Apparently a fault of the software was causing the entertainment system to drain the battery EVEN when the engine was off and nothing was being used. Caused a slow lingering death for the battery.

Have no reason to think they were lying as it seems totally fine now. If you're having similar problems I would make your dealership aware of this fix.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
11-11-2012 09:25pm
tyke2

Stef

Thanks for that. I dont suppose you know what the software update was?

Regards

(11-11-2012 09:25pm)stef.c Wrote:  Funny - I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge but I have had this issue resolved.

I had the same problem a lot of people seem to be having. The 'low battery warning' constantly when switching on the engine, the '3 minute warning' when using the radio when engine switched off etc. Was helpfully told by the dealership that this was all totally normal until one day - the battery went totally dead and the car wouldn't start.

Had LR assist round trying to sort it, jump leads etc. looking at the alternator but it was inconclusive. Ended up going to LR dealership for a few days where they eventually concluded, after ruling out nearly everything else, that it was simply a software update! Apparently a fault of the software was causing the entertainment system to drain the battery EVEN when the engine was off and nothing was being used. Caused a slow lingering death for the battery.

Have no reason to think they were lying as it seems totally fine now. If you're having similar problems I would make your dealership aware of this fix.

12-11-2012 10:29am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Tyke look at post 12 of this thread, the TSB is posted in full

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-11-2012 10:32am
tyke2

Tim

I have seen the TSB and it makes no mention of a software update. In fact it reads as though landrover are aware of an issue but have not actualy seen a car with the fault active.
It would have been nice if the dealer had read the TSB, (I told them about it) or perhaps updated the software as a precaution. They seem to think its ok to tell a customer with a dead £40k car that the computer says theres nothing wrong though.

12-11-2012 11:02am
stef.c

(12-11-2012 10:29am)tyke2 Wrote:  Stef

Thanks for that. I dont suppose you know what the software update was?

Regards

I am afraid I don't have any more specific info than it was a general 'software update'. I do start to have doubts about the truth of this now though simply because of the fact that no one else has mentioned it. Surely it would be common knowledge by now particularly in the dealerships if it was as simple as that? There is a chance I suppose that they were trying to cover up some defect to save face. It is worth mentioning though I think.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 06:33pm by stef.c.)
12-11-2012 06:31pm
Alex

Funny my car was doing this every day for about a week or so just two weeks ago when turning the engine on - message about battery. But the fault has disappeared and the message no longer appears on the screen when starting the engine.

We use our Evoque every day so no reason for the low battery message. Our car is due its first service shortly so I will mention this to the dealer.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
22-11-2012 07:25pm
RacingSnake

(12-11-2012 06:31pm)stef.c Wrote:  I do start to have doubts about the truth of this now though simply because of the fact that no one else has mentioned it.
I mentioned it here:
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Dead-batt...1#pid70441
if that's the same thing.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
23-11-2012 09:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply