Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque's New Big Brother
WB
WB

RE: Evoque's New Big Brother

If you look at Audi all the cars have the same design cues but they are cohesive and work in their own right.

The trouble here is that this new RRS looks like a bad graft job as if they've raided the parts bins and made a Frankenstein.

The Evoque looks like it was drawn by an artist... on a blank canvas. This looks like the results of consensus design and customer feedback and to quote Steve Jobs " Customers don't know what they want."

I'm very disappointed and combined with what will inevitably be an astronomical price tag I think this may be a mis-step.
(This post was last modified: 15-03-2013 10:51am by WB.)
15-03-2013 10:48am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
invoke

(13-03-2013 09:09pm)IKM Wrote:  ....To me an outgoing RRS at a discounted price may be a more attractive proposition, nothwithstanding depreciation hit later on.

1+

After looking at this I'am also considering to get the out going one (RRS in black)... It will definitely be among "classic cars" category, which will never go old. The new space buggy 70s styling, not so LR, IMO. I'm sure in real life it be same disappointing for most !!
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 01:16am by invoke.)
15-03-2013 03:15pm
WB
WB

I'm surprised LR haven't asked for the photos to be removed yet... or maybe they're using this to gather early feedback.

I realise there are a lot of fans of the current RRS out there but have to say looking at one closely on the way home yesterday it really looked to me to be showing its age.
15-03-2013 04:26pm
scalle

if i had the cash, i'd change to the new RRS .
Just to have more space in the trunk.
Maybe ask the dealer for a nice trade price?

interior pictures yet?

RRE TD4 Prestige 4WD AUT, santorini black, element interior, tech pack, cold climate pack, pano roof, privacy glass, brushed alu, auto high beam assist, airco vents rear, auto dim mirror, camera, home link, 20" style 7, 18" spare, debugged, roof rails,replaced side vents, grille in glossy black and center cap wheels with RR, black lettering
Also stunning Fiat 500 Cabrio GUCCI edition, black/gold metallic, and red Fiat Panda 1992 selecta (var. transmission).
(This post was last modified: 15-03-2013 04:59pm by scalle.)
15-03-2013 04:58pm
stephenc

I think it looks great, I was never a fan of the old shape, this sits perfectly between the Evoque and FF for my taste, might seriously look at this in a couple of years when my lease renews.

Ordered 25/6/12, Delivery: 06/03/13
Prestige SD4 in Orkney Grey with Element Interior + Ebony Rooflining, Santorini Roof, 20" Style 6 and a few toys.
(This post was last modified: 15-03-2013 05:08pm by stephenc.)
15-03-2013 05:07pm
J77

Perhaps if I saw it in the flesh and a better colour combo, it may sway my judgment.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
15-03-2013 05:46pm
Token

Hey guys, hope you're all well. I've not posted on here since selling my Evoque and getting a Sport...it's good to be back!!

I only sold the Evoque due to lack of boot space...I loved the car but simply not big enough for dogs etc. I'd previously owned an FFRR which I also loved...but it was too big for a couple of local car parks. I also ave a Defender, so fair to say that I'm a big LR advocate.

I have had the Sport (2011/12) since November and I'm really pleased with it...in reality it's a compromise car, not quite as sporty as the RRE and not quite as luxurious as the FFRR...but it is a very good compromise. I have had 20 cars in 20 years and every different sort you can imagine, and with the Sport I finally found the right balance of comfort, luxury, size, capability, brand and image...but, despite the interior facelift, it doesn't feel as refined as the RRE or other new cars...it is showing its age as you would expect.

So...I had decided that when the new model came out, I would take the plunge and then finally would have a car that I knew would be the right car for me for a few years.

I assumed that the new RRS would be a sporty Vogue rather than a grown up Evoque...especially as there had been rumours of a 'stretched' Evoque being added to the RRE range. Alas this is not the case and I'm gutted!

I loved the Evoque and the Storm Trooper shape is brilliant, but based on the photo posted, the shape doesn't work on a bigger car. Frankly, it looks like a soft-roader which is bad, very bad! I wanted it to look at home on a field, or at the rugby, or on a shoot...in reality it will look good on the streets of New York, where it s being launched because that's the biggest market for the Sport...and sadly, that sums it up.

March 26th is the continuation of the development of a Superbrand...development that started with the Evoque. Success is a sure thing, they know what they are doing and must be congratulated for business acumen.

But, on March 26th, something more significant is going to happen...it is the beginning of the end of a brand I love, a history that I have been proud to be a part of, the erosion of a British soul, and the degradation of a legend of the countryside.

There will be many fans and many of you will disagree with my comments...I fully appreciate that and completely understand, I can see the attraction...it's just not for me. Maybe I am being too purist and can now be considered an old bore that can't move with the times...but I am genuinely upset by what they've done.

I have lived in the UAE and there is no doubt that the changes in Dubai over the past 30 years have significantly improved things for the majority and its wealth has increased enormously...but most would agree that it has sold it's soul...and for that, it is poorer...and sadly, once a soul has gone, it can never return.

Right, I'm now off for a drive in the Defender before writing to the council to see if they can make the local car parks bigger!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
19-03-2013 12:26am
Jai

Evoque's New Big Brother

Faker... How did It get in the hands of a punter wearing an apron in a dingy old warehouse where there is an old jeep in for repair and an engine crane??
19-03-2013 03:38am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Token good to see you back - you are so right. LR doesn't make them like they used to but I also blame their headlong rush to satisfy Russian and Chinese customers by producing vehicles that are more suited to a Cadillac dealership than a Land Rover dealership with their tons of bling. I also blame the headlong rush to reduce weight for the lack of "carved from stone" feeling. LR isn't the only company with problems on that front but most of the competition seems to have found better ways to make their cars feel less flimsy than LR in their attempts to shed weight. I will be looking closely at the new RRS, I have had a deposit on one for 2 years but like you am unsure that the Evoque-ish shape works well scaled up. Strangely I have not been contacted at all by the dealership that holds my deposit and wasn't aware that March 26 is the launch day

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 08:13am by XFullFatTim.)
19-03-2013 08:05am
Token

Good to hear from you Tim...

If you do a google search for the new Sport launch, you can sign up to get online access to the live launch in New York on the 26th, there are also some teaser videos on there (featuring the car pictured in this thread).

I agree with your comments entirely...I'm hoping that in a different colour, and without the contrast roof, it may work.

Fingers crossed!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
19-03-2013 08:34am