Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque fire
speary

RE: Evoque fire

As diesel needs a flame to ignite it could it be something else that initially catches fire, eg electrical wiring and then that burns through a fuel line thus igniting the diesel ?
Just a thought
LR really need to be investigating this, lets hope they are. Liam ?

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
15-04-2013 08:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Diesel doesn't need a flame to ignite, it needs a source of heat and oxygen............. Diesel engines don't have spark plugs so how else would they cause the explosion needed to make the fuel burn without them - they use compression of the fuel in the cylinder to heat it.

There have been quite a few diesel engined cars that have gone up in flames due to leakage from the HP side of the common rail diesel fuel delivery line spraying diesel onto the hot turbo under engine load. The owner of the local LR non-franchise service outlet had his 2 day old Disco3 burn up on the motorway 5 miles from his house as he went off on holiday and LR eventually traced the cause back to a tiny leak on the fuel line spraying onto the turbo.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 10:00am by XFullFatTim.)
15-04-2013 09:57am
CRC@LandRover

(15-04-2013 08:17am)speary Wrote:  As diesel needs a flame to ignite it could it be something else that initially catches fire, eg electrical wiring and then that burns through a fuel line thus igniting the diesel ?
Just a thought
LR really need to be investigating this, lets hope they are. Liam ?

Hi speary,

I can confirm that LR are taking these cases seriously and are looking into the concern. As soon as I get an update I will update the thread accordingly.

Kind regards,
Liam

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
15-04-2013 04:16pm
jjgray

As Tim says - if diesel didn't burn it wouldn't be much good as a fuel! I think it is less flammable and less explosive than petrol that's all.

John
15-04-2013 11:26pm
speary

(15-04-2013 09:57am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Diesel doesn't need a flame to ignite, it needs a source of heat and oxygen............. Diesel engines don't have spark plugs so how else would they cause the explosion needed to make the fuel burn without them - they use compression of the fuel in the cylinder to heat it.

There have been quite a few diesel engined cars that have gone up in flames due to leakage from the HP side of the common rail diesel fuel delivery line spraying diesel onto the hot turbo under engine load. The owner of the local LR non-franchise service outlet had his 2 day old Disco3 burn up on the motorway 5 miles from his house as he went off on holiday and LR eventually traced the cause back to a tiny leak on the fuel line spraying onto the turbo.

In general if you put a flame near a pool of diesel it will not ignite as petrol would. Obvioulsy if you apply enough heat, either by putting it on someting extremely hot (turbo casing) or compressing it, it will ignite. Hence the compression ignition engine.
Just saying that it is much more difficult to ignite diesel than petrol so less likely to cause an engine fire if it leaks

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
16-04-2013 08:21am
Straydox

The reason diesel burns as fuel in the engine is that the fuel injector pump raises the line pressure to probably around 2000 Bar and then passes it through a fuel injector that atomises the fuel into a very fine mist. Many finely atomised materials will burn easily - flour for example.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
16-04-2013 09:35am
Trapdoor

(16-04-2013 09:35am)Straydox Wrote:  Many finely atomised materials will burn easily - flour for example.

Indeed ... an associate of mine ran a Derwent 8 gas turbine (jet engine) on sawdust. A tad smokey but it ran and self-sustained OK. Not the easiest 'fuel' to cart around though.

So presumably we are of the belief then that the diesel fires are due to the HP side failing? I suppose then that by the time the fire is noticed, killing the power it's too late as too much other stuff has started to burn.

Hope JLR determine the cause and fix it pronto - or that it's just a very narrow range of VIN's affected by faulty parts.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
16-04-2013 09:42am
jitenc

Thought I get info on diesel straight from the web... V. Interesting....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
17-04-2013 01:05am
jjgray

Hi interested parties - just to update you.

After a worldwide search operation (only Liam knows), a new spill-off pipe was found and delivered to the dealer earlier than expected. The car was repaired and has been running fine*.

Thanks to Liam and Taggarts for their efforts. I am a bit miffied that the engine compartment doesn't look pristine any more, and there was certainly a residual smell for a few days, when the engine heated up. However, all does seem to be running smoothly now.

I got the software update for ECO stop-start done at the same time. I didn't see anythign on Topix advising personnel to look out for cars reporting fuel smells, though.

Interestingly, I am getting easily over 36mpg on my daily commute, nearly 37mpg. I was getting around 33 before. Perhaps the leaky fuel pipe is the difference, or maybe my driving style has gone "pipe and slippers" after changing frmo my previous nippier runabout!

*Though I do carry a small fire extinguisher in the car, now!
08-05-2013 01:24pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Good to hear it is all fixed and running well, hope you now have many event free miles

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-05-2013 01:34pm