Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque fire
jitenc

RE: Evoque fire

(08-04-2013 11:12pm)jjgray Wrote:  Good points. It's a customer relations disaster as far as I am concerned. But if "Liam@landrover" is so great and on the forum, why is he not in touch with me?

liam@landrover is a Genie... You need to rub the lamp... Wishes do not appear from nowhere... Just get intouch with him! Smile

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
09-04-2013 04:41am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjgray

Thanks for the tip. I have PMd Liam BUT I have to say...

The posh new car I paid for went on fire and you say I need to rub a lamp?! If Liam is a genie then maybe it's LR that rubbed his lamp first, and their wish was "groom us a loyal fan base who have time and money to burn and don't know or care that there are cars in the world that you just buy and they just work for years and they don't go on fire or gas the occupants." I'll bet you anything that there's a lot more than a handful of Evoque owners who've smelt a whiff of diesel or smoke coming through the vents now and then, and it just hasn't turned into anything serious for them yet.

I was informed that LR HQ were fully aware of the incident with my car from Day 1, not only the dealer. I have tried to be patient only because the last thing I want is a botched or sham repair. Also, my life doesn't include time for hassle over faulty cars. I had use of my wife's Honda last week & simply left the Freelander on the driveway.

I do not want to reject the car but if they can't deliver the car i paid for in a safe and reliable condition, then what's my option?

Will keep you posted.
09-04-2013 07:16am
Straydox

Having been down this road recently myself (not a fire but persistent rattles), I'd respectfully suggest that you reject the car - make it known, in writing, that you don't believe the vehicle is of merchantable quality and you wish to reject it.

LR are capable of assembling a quality vehcile as many owners here will testify to. LR also build cars that no respectable premium manufacturer should ever let leave the factory - if you think you have one then hand it back. Be firm and polite throughout and don't take no for an answer.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
09-04-2013 11:32am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Surely your insurance will also cover the replacement of the car - and if you have any finance on the car then you should also involve the finance company as they may own the car. Having your finance company and insurer on your side is a big lever to help you. I appreciate your frustration with LR and the dealership, but I'm sure it is your insurance company you should be dealing with and then let them get everything back from LR

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 12:47pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-04-2013 12:46pm
jjgray

(09-04-2013 11:32am)Straydox Wrote:  ... LR also build cars that no respectable premium manufacturer should ever let leave the factory - if you think you have one then hand it back. Be firm and polite throughout and don't take no for an answer.

Thanks Straydox. Reading between the lines of what I have been told, I suspect that in the meantime certain parts have been redesigned and/or sourced from alternative suppliers, so a new build might be a better bet.

Of course, following the book/film "The World According to Garp", I could take the view that my original one is the better bet, because now it's been "pre-disastered" Smile

Another reason for not rushing, it's only just occurred to me to make sure all air intake filters (cabin, engine etc) are changed, if I do take it back. All that smoke can't be good for them. Nice talking to you.
(09-04-2013 12:46pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Surely your insurance will also cover the replacement of the car - and if you have any finance on the car then you should also involve the finance company as they may own the car. Having your finance company and insurer on your side is a big lever to help you. I appreciate your frustration with LR and the dealership, but I'm sure it is your insurance company you should be dealing with and then let them get everything back from LR

Hadn't thought about troubling my insurer at all. The car's not written off like the one in Sarcastrix's picture. Besides, my insurance is for things that would otherwise cost me, and this is not going to cost me a penny! LRA, warranties, contracts and consumer rights will do for now. My excess is large but my premium is tiny (about £200 fully comp!) and I would like to keep it that way.

Finance company is a good shout: I didn't need to take out finance for the car but I will have used a credit card to pay the deposit, with just this sort of eventuality in mind... Wink

But these things are only fall-backs if we can't resolve it directly. I've only just made my formal written complaint to the dealer and the fabled genie Liam is on the case today and has promised to call me back later.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

John
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 02:01pm by jjgray.)
09-04-2013 01:08pm
jjgray

No sign of part yet, but I have now got an Evoque as courtesy car.
11-04-2013 10:12pm
Kojak

This pains me... but I feel that having found them, I need to share.

Hopefully these and the previously reported cases are relatively isolated in the scheme of things but I hope LR are taking note and everyone should be aware it obviously can happen.

Don't shoot the postman....I love my evoque.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 08:19pm by Kojak.)
14-04-2013 08:19pm
Trapdoor

Are they petrol or diesel though ... ? The fires do seem to be pretty fierce which I'd be surprised for a diesel vehicle as diesel doesn't readily 'burn' - unless there is something else going on there, such as a metal fire?

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
14-04-2013 08:49pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Both USA and Dubai are petrol only markets for LR

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-04-2013 10:00pm
jjgray

Latest ETA for my spill-off pipe is 30 April. Lliam@LandRover is trying to find one sooner.

J
14-04-2013 10:57pm