Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque fire
jjgray

RE: Evoque fire

(26-03-2013 02:52pm)donot521 Wrote:  One more issue to worry about? Geez i so want to get rid of it

well it's rather disturbing, but like the man says, it does seem rare and I am hoping for a speedy resolution and (convincing!) reassurance from the dealer later this week. Also if you Google you can find fire incidents or fire-hazard recalls on many makes and models - including a Honda model in North America.

I will let you know what happens. Main concern is to make sure the cause is fixed and any smoke- or fire-damaged parts.

Meanwhile, if you get any oily or smokey smells from your car, I'd have them checked out! And carry a powder type fire extinguisher (good advice for all cars).
(This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 06:28pm by jjgray.)
26-03-2013 06:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

Oh dear.....Mine is a Pure Tech manual & 3 weeks old. As much as I love it very much if it caught fire I would probably watch it as I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise. I would phone 999 though.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 12:47am by The Valeter.)
27-03-2013 12:45am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

(26-03-2013 06:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  140,000 Evoques built and two reported fires, I don't think it's a valid reason to want out of one.

I really do hope that LR are taking these fires seriously and do a full investigation. We deserve to know what is causing a potentially life threatening problem. I appreciate that 2 reported in 140000 cars is not a lot but in case of a fire 1 is too many especially if its your car

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
01-04-2013 10:37am
jjgray

Hi all

Update is that they say the diesel "spill-off pipe" must have been leaking, and dripped onto the hot exhaust.
Waiting for a replacement part for now. They also say there's no damage caused to other components. Would like to see that for myself.

Bought 4 little fire extinguishers at B&Q today - one for each car, one for the house and one to replace the one my neighbour used on my Evoque. bizarrely B&Q had the identical extinguisher on shelves marked "for car" and "for kitchen" but the price ticket on the "for car" shelf was £3 higher than the "for kitchen" one! These were £11.98 each which is as good a price as I have seen.
02-04-2013 12:44am
mark_n

I once went to test drive a Ferrari only to be told by the ashen faced sales manager that the previous customer had spun it in the wet, gone off backwards into a telegraph pole and had died in the ensuing inferno. The accompanying salesman had managed to escape and the guy's wife was on her way to the dealership to collect her 7 year old son who was waiting for dad to come back from the test drive. Not good.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
04-04-2013 05:06am
Sarcastrix

Could have been worse:

[Image: AFS2012072810.jpg]
(02-04-2013 12:44am)jjgray Wrote:  Bought 4 little fire extinguishers at B&Q today - one for each car, one for the house and one to replace the one my neighbour used on my Evoque.

Hope you never need them again & the car is as good as new (even tho' it is)!

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 11:28am by Sarcastrix.)
04-04-2013 11:01am
jjgray

Latest is that they don't seem to be able to get that pipe from anywhere. I have been loaned a Freelander but basically I do not have the car I bought.

It is coming to the point where I will have not had my car for longer than I had it. I have asked for a meeting with sales and service teams on Thursday. Will report back.

In the meantime there is another thread called "Fuel Smell" which I think is for people with the same problem, but whose cars just haven't gone on fire yet Neutral

j
08-04-2013 02:14pm
WB
WB

(08-04-2013 02:14pm)jjgray Wrote:  Latest is that they don't seem to be able to get that pipe from anywhere. I have been loaned a Freelander but basically I do not have the car I bought.

It is coming to the point where I will have not had my car for longer than I had it. I have asked for a meeting with sales and service teams on Thursday. Will report back.

In the meantime there is another thread called "Fuel Smell" which I think is for people with the same problem, but whose cars just haven't gone on fire yet Neutral

j

Typical inefficient dealerships - they need to escalate the issue to LR customer services. There is no reason they can't get the part from the factory if necessary. You should contact Liam from LRCS on here if you haven't already.

Also don't let them fob you off with the freelander. You paid for an Evoque so if they can't give you an Evoque loaner then they should lend you something better. I bet the sales manager or Dealer Principal aren't driving freelanders so perhaps suggest that you do a swap with one of them.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2013 03:33pm by WB.)
08-04-2013 03:28pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

^+1, get in contact with Liam@LandRover asap, it's one reason why he's here on the forums

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-04-2013 04:31pm
jjgray

Good points. It's a customer relations disaster as far as I am concerned. But if "Liam@landrover" is so great and on the forum, why is he not in touch with me?
08-04-2013 11:12pm