Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Coupe Rear Seats
brommy

RE: Coupe Rear Seats

(27-07-2011 08:58am)paulus599 Wrote:  
(26-07-2011 04:53pm)brommy Wrote:  IF people are concerned about resale (I am, some genuinely may not be), the bottom line is how many people will be looking for a 2 seat rear compared to those (with or without kids), who prefer being able to carry the odd addition guest?

That's the point though isn't it? being able to carry the odd additional guest is possible wether you have 2 or 3 rear seats. In my case the car will almost always have only one or two people in it, so even with 'only' 2 seats in the back I could still carry the odd additional guests (not that I know that many odd people Smile )

As per my Audi A5 reference earlier, I still think many (not all) second hand buyers will look around an Evoque Coupe on a garage forecourt and say "Oh, it's missing a rear seat and there's no armrest either". If there are too many of these types, it will affect resale value. If there aren't, it won't. For the Coupe at least, I agree it is debaitable.Smile

Anyway, this has drifted from my original question to vision*R who wanted 2 rear seats in a 5 door. Each to their own, but as an easy access, family suitable 5 door car, resale value is likely to take a hit.
(This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 10:15am by brommy.)
27-07-2011 10:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oop north

I would not be able to consider buying a car with just two rear seats. It is interesting (well I think it is) that there has been a rethink on several cars originally launched with two rear seats that are not getting three (iirc Audi a7, vw passat cc). So there is undoubtedly a selling restriction. Who knows if that will have a material effect on residuals though
27-07-2011 10:28am
brommy

(27-07-2011 10:28am)oop north Wrote:  I would not be able to consider buying a car with just two rear seats. It is interesting (well I think it is) that there has been a rethink on several cars originally launched with two rear seats that are not getting three (iirc Audi a7, vw passat cc). So there is undoubtedly a selling restriction. Who knows if that will have a material effect on residuals though

Having visited a large Audi dealer last month I can confirm that all new A7s will now have 3 rear seats as standard (previously 2 rear seats). Entirely down to demand. The salesman also said that Audi were looking to add a third rear seat as standard to the A5 (again due to customer requests), but this was proving difficult (width issue).
27-07-2011 10:55am
paulus599

(27-07-2011 10:14am)brommy Wrote:  As per my Audi A5 reference earlier, I still think many (not all) second hand buyers will look around an Evoque Coupe on a garage forecourt and say "Oh, it's missing a rear seat and there's no armrest either". If there are too many of these types, it will affect resale value. If there aren't, it won't. For the Coupe at least, I agree it is debaitable.Smile

Anyway, this has drifted from my original question to vision*R who wanted 2 rear seats in a 5 door. Each to their own, but as an easy access, family suitable 5 door car, resale value is likely to take a hit.

OK, I'm going to continue the debate then Very Happy
What you say just doesn't compute to me. Anyone who is looking at a second hand Evoque Coupe will surely be people who never carry more than 3 passengers, otherwise why would they even be considering that type of car. Obviously though the case for the A5 (sportback not coupe), A7 and Passat is different, being 4/5 door cars people buying them no doubt expect 3 rear seats (and an arm rest Confused)

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
27-07-2011 05:55pm
vision*R

(26-07-2011 03:24pm)brommy Wrote:  I'm interested why anyone would wish to reduce the number of seats in a car as wide as an Evoque. Even if someone can never imagine carrying 4 passengers, I believe the restriction of just 3 passenger seats could affect resale value, especially in a 4/5 door car. Are the two seats supposed to be so much more comfortable than the two outer seats of a 3 seat bench? It's not that anyone thinks 2 seats look better, surely? Even if they did, it wouldn't be a high priority, would it? Confused

Yes I do think the separate seats look much better. The imitate the shell-like form which is why I love the front seats so much. Surely it's not a high priority, I just don't understand why the technical possibility exists and LR decides to make it impossible. Personally I'd like a car with the spoilers of the Dynamic, the leather of the Prestige, 2 seats in a 5-door, bonnet intakes on a 5-door. All of this exists, just not on the same car. I would prefer total freedom instead of all these pre-defined sets of combinations.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 06:20pm by vision*R.)
27-07-2011 06:14pm
Charlie
No Longer Registered

(27-07-2011 05:55pm)paulus599 Wrote:  OK, I'm going to continue the debate then Very Happy

Right - outside!

The guy from LR I spoke to said when the LRX was first designed (many years ago) they decided the coupe was going to be a 4 seater and he was one of designers that disagreed. Whilst it's easy to say you'll never carry no more than 3 passengers, having the option not to (safely with a seat belt) is crazy. This is not a 2 seater sports car. Looks like LR have realised their mistake and are correcting it. I totally agree you are limiting the resale value with 2 seats.

And 99% - hmmm!
27-07-2011 06:23pm
Blackseries

(27-07-2011 06:14pm)vision*R Wrote:  Personally I'd like a car with the spoilers of the Dynamic, the leather of the Prestige, 2 seats in a 5-door, bonnet intakes on a 5-door. All of this exists, just not on the same car. I would prefer total freedom instead of all these pre-defined sets of combinations.

+1

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
27-07-2011 07:24pm
paulus599

(27-07-2011 06:23pm)Charlie Wrote:  Right - outside!

The guy from LR I spoke to said when the LRX was first designed (many years ago) they decided the coupe was going to be a 4 seater and he was one of designers that disagreed. Whilst it's easy to say you'll never carry no more than 3 passengers, having the option not to (safely with a seat belt) is crazy. This is not a 2 seater sports car. Looks like LR have realised their mistake and are correcting it. I totally agree you are limiting the resale value with 2 seats.

And 99% - hmmm!

Ner Ner

If that's the case then obviously the original designers had it right, it's just that the design was diluted to try and cater for all tastes/needs. No it's not a 2 seater sports car, in my case it's a 4 seater coupe, as such that is the maximum number of people it will ever carry and I am perfectly happy with that.
I also can't see how LR are correcting anything. All they have done is make it so you tick the box for 2 seats rather than the bench seat, the choice is still there and it's still down to personal preference and how you see the car being used.

OK, 99% is probably a little high, but that was the result of the poll I carried out in our house. Very Happy

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
27-07-2011 09:38pm
brommy

(27-07-2011 05:55pm)paulus599 Wrote:  
(27-07-2011 10:14am)brommy Wrote:  As per my Audi A5 reference earlier, I still think many (not all) second hand buyers will look around an Evoque Coupe on a garage forecourt and say "Oh, it's missing a rear seat and there's no armrest either". If there are too many of these types, it will affect resale value. If there aren't, it won't. For the Coupe at least, I agree it is debaitable.Smile

OK, I'm going to continue the debate then Very Happy
What you say just doesn't compute to me. Anyone who is looking at a second hand Evoque Coupe will surely be people who never carry more than 3 passengers, otherwise why would they even be considering that type of car. Obviously though the case for the A5 (sportback not coupe), A7 and Passat is different, being 4/5 door cars people buying them no doubt expect 3 rear seats (and an arm rest Confused)

In the short time I've been on this forum, I've already read posts from people with kids or people that say they regularly carry back seat passengers who are still choosing the Coupe; strange but true. Despite being a 3 door, they will be looking to avoid the restriction of just 2 rear seats.

You look puzzled (Confused) by the relative importance of a rear armrest. Obviously not a top priority but I do believe it adds to the comfort of 2 rear passengers. My rear armrest is used frequently when I carry adult friends. I find it strange that when the Evoque loses a rear seat it also loses the armrest function; just when there is a gaping space left for it!

It would be interesting to understand LR's decision to make the 3 seats standard, with the 2 seats as an option (currently no charge). Unless there is someone important at LR who is constantly pushing for the Evoque to remain as true to the LRX as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 seat rear is phased out in future years.
27-07-2011 10:15pm
paulus599

(27-07-2011 10:15pm)brommy Wrote:  In the short time I've been on this forum, I've already read posts from people with kids or people that say they regularly carry back seat passengers who are still choosing the Coupe; strange but true. Despite being a 3 door, they will be looking to avoid the restriction of just 2 rear seats.

You look puzzled (Confused) by the relative importance of a rear armrest. Obviously not a top priority but I do believe it adds to the comfort of 2 rear passengers. My rear armrest is used frequently when I carry adult friends. I find it strange that when the Evoque loses a rear seat it also loses the armrest function; just when there is a gaping space left for it!

It would be interesting to understand LR's decision to make the 3 seats standard, with the 2 seats as an option (currently no charge). Unless there is someone important at LR who is constantly pushing for the Evoque to remain as true to the LRX as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 seat rear is phased out in future years.

So what we are saying is, that like most things in life, it's down to personal preference and how we will use the car. To me that's great not strange, otherwise we would all be ordering exactly the same cars - how boring would that be?

27-07-2011 10:34pm