Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Coupe Rear Seats
paulus599

RE: Coupe Rear Seats

(26-07-2011 03:24pm)brommy Wrote:  I'm interested why anyone would wish to reduce the number of seats in a car as wide as an Evoque. Even if someone can never imagine carrying 4 passengers, I believe the restriction of just 3 passenger seats could affect resale value, especially in a 4/5 door car. Are the two seats supposed to be so much more comfortable than the two outer seats of a 3 seat bench? It's not that anyone thinks 2 seats look better, surely? Even if they did, it wouldn't be a high priority, would it? Confused

My answer would be yes, it is a high priority to me. I can never envisage when I would want to carry more than 3 passengers, which is why I have ordered the coupe , plus I actually do think it looks better. As for resale value, then I'm sure that 99% of buyers who are looking for a coupe will have the same mind set, so not a consideration for me.
I'm sure you are correct though in that if it was an option on the 5 door, it would seriously limit the size of the resale market.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
26-07-2011 03:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

(26-07-2011 03:24pm)brommy Wrote:  
(25-07-2011 11:07pm)vision*R Wrote:  If only they would make the 2 seat option available on the 5-door...

I'm interested why anyone would wish to reduce the number of seats in a car as wide as an Evoque. Even if someone can never imagine carrying 4 passengers, I believe the restriction of just 3 passenger seats could affect resale value, especially in a 4/5 door car. Are the two seats supposed to be so much more comfortable than the two outer seats of a 3 seat bench? It's not that anyone thinks 2 seats look better, surely? Even if they did, it wouldn't be a high priority, would it? Confused

I have a 5 door Freelander for carrying 5 persons / luggage etc. My Coupe Evoque will be used where there is 4 or less and I think the 2 rear seats will be more comfortable then the bench and I like the fact that it will be different. Also, it really pushed I'm sure you could put a third person in the back, it not a gaping space between the seats (ok, there may not be a third seat belt, unsure on this part)

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
26-07-2011 04:45pm
brommy

(26-07-2011 03:43pm)paulus599 Wrote:  
(26-07-2011 03:24pm)brommy Wrote:  I'm interested why anyone would wish to reduce the number of seats in a car as wide as an Evoque. Even if someone can never imagine carrying 4 passengers, I believe the restriction of just 3 passenger seats could affect resale value, especially in a 4/5 door car. Are the two seats supposed to be so much more comfortable than the two outer seats of a 3 seat bench? It's not that anyone thinks 2 seats look better, surely? Even if they did, it wouldn't be a high priority, would it? Confused

My answer would be yes, it is a high priority to me. I can never envisage when I would want to carry more than 3 passengers, which is why I have ordered the coupe , plus I actually do think it looks better. As for resale value, then I'm sure that 99% of buyers who are looking for a coupe will have the same mind set, so not a consideration for me.
I'm sure you are correct though in that if it was an option on the 5 door, it would seriously limit the size of the resale market.

Not sure about 99%, may be 50-50? For example, I know of a few people who considered a 2 or 4 door A5 only to be put off by its 2 seat rear. I've also read a few comments from people with kids that are ordering the Evoque Coupe (hence the current fuss over the speed of the front seat movement). I imagine the same will happen for the second hand market, (yes, no where near as many with kids as the 5 door) . Having 1 or 2 kids really pushes the need to be able to carry 4 passengers. It obviously won't affect you during your ownership but could be a consideration for those looking to buy when you sell on.

I do like the look of the coupe but with 2 children and carrying an additional friend of mine or theirs or family member a few times every month, it makes my decision a 'no-brainer'.

IF people are concerned about resale (I am, some genuinely may not be), the bottom line is how many people will be looking for a 2 seat rear compared to those (with or without kids), who prefer being able to carry the odd addition guest?
26-07-2011 04:53pm
Charlie
No Longer Registered

If you go for the 2 rear seats you dont get

'rear seat centre armrest with two cup holders'

Not sure if that's important for those not speccing the bench seat
26-07-2011 07:29pm
cjfp

(26-07-2011 07:29pm)Charlie Wrote:  If you go for the 2 rear seats you dont get

'rear seat centre armrest with two cup holders'

Not sure if that's important for those not speccing the bench seat

what, you think I'm gonna let the little b@stardette drink in my nice new car! Shocked

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2011 08:12pm by cjfp.)
26-07-2011 08:11pm
mark_n

According to information I have, the bench set is standard on the 5 door, a no-cost option on the 3 door which has 2 individual seats as standard. 2 individual seats is not available at all on the 5 door. For the 3 door, it makes more sense to have two individual rear seats and enhances the coupe feel. I think the centre headrest option on the coupe is a no-no because it will obstruct the already limited rear vision.
27-07-2011 01:25am
cjfp

Mark_n - that's the point I'm making. What u say WAS correct and what we all believed. However, go take a look on the LR website at both the 'Explore' section and the 'Build' section and it appears that, for the Coupe, the bench is now standard and u have to opt for the 2 seats if that's what u want on the final Options build tab - admittedly the interior pictures on the Coupe build facility do still show the 2 seats.

If u've ordered already and are expecting 2 seats then I would check with your dealer before your pride and joy arrives with the now standard bench because a single box wasn't ticked! Or u can sit back and ignore and hope that your car arrives how u want it.

(This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 05:56am by cjfp.)
27-07-2011 05:53am
Charlie
No Longer Registered

(27-07-2011 05:53am)cjfp Wrote:  Or u can sit back and ignore and hope that your car arrives how u want it.

Looking like you've got a couple of giant marshmallows in the back!

(without drinks of course)
27-07-2011 08:15am
mark_n

(27-07-2011 05:53am)cjfp Wrote:  Mark_n - that's the point I'm making. What u say WAS correct and what we all believed. However, go take a look on the LR website at both the 'Explore' section and the 'Build' section and it appears that, for the Coupe, the bench is now standard and u have to opt for the 2 seats if that's what u want on the final Options build tab - admittedly the interior pictures on the Coupe build facility do still show the 2 seats.

If u've ordered already and are expecting 2 seats then I would check with your dealer before your pride and joy arrives with the now standard bench because a single box wasn't ticked! Or u can sit back and ignore and hope that your car arrives how u want it.

Thanks for the heads up, will contact the dealer.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
27-07-2011 08:32am
paulus599

(26-07-2011 04:53pm)brommy Wrote:  IF people are concerned about resale (I am, some genuinely may not be), the bottom line is how many people will be looking for a 2 seat rear compared to those (with or without kids), who prefer being able to carry the odd addition guest?

That's the point though isn't it? being able to carry the odd additional guest is possible wether you have 2 or 3 rear seats. In my case the car will almost always have only one or two people in it, so even with 'only' 2 seats in the back I could still carry the odd additional guests (not that I know that many odd people Smile )

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
27-07-2011 08:58am