Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Awesome snow performance
Acwats

Awesome snow performance

Travelled back to Shropshire from stoke today (after watching Sunderland win again). The car was brilliant, I've never owned 4wd before but the Evoque was great. M54 and a5 both blocked so I used the back b roads. Felt a bit guilty passing people who were stuck but I didn't have time to push them all. Mine is on Pirelli Scorpion verde all season m+s tyres. Love it, if I'd have gone in the 5er I'd still be in stoke

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
04-02-2012 11:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LDT

RE: Awesome snow performance

Thumbs Up..

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
05-02-2012 12:54am
vinda

Thumbs up. We were cruising in ours too. Came across a lot of cars struggling
05-02-2012 01:35am
mark_n

There's a hill outside my home, so looking forward to being the first up it in a few minutes.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-02-2012 08:09am
jitenc

Here comes the day I was waiting for. No more:
1) abandoning Cars on the side roads,
2) no more embarrassment of getting stuck in the snow spinning around in my ex-BMW, while passers-by taking movies of me to be later posted on YouTube.....
Well, I feel privileged to own a Baby RR yesterday returning home at midnight after 1 hours drive on the North Circular. Saw a lot of front wheelers stuck in the snow and lots of abandoned cars on the road. The Speaders were out but did not think it did much good.
First time owing a 4x4, so wasn't sure if the Hill Descent Control is a good option to use when going down the hill, while in the Snow Special Program gear? Any tips....

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
05-02-2012 09:52am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Why don't you think HDC is useful in snow? It is supposed to prevent your wheels from locking up on slippery surfaces, a bit like ABS. If the snow is deep enough for you to loose traction then you should disable the DSC as that will cut the engine power and stop you from being able to use the tyre sidewalls from getting grip by swinging the steering wheel from lock to lock. DSC thinks you are going to crash the car when you start doing that sort of stuff, but actually in sand, mud and deep snow (sort 0.5m deep not 5cm deep!) you sometimes need to twirl the wheel a lot. DSC also will not let you apply lots of power which sometimes you need to prevent bogging down.
What I would recommend is that you only disable HDC when you are travelling "normally" in snow and as soon as you get to an incline or decline then re-engage it, left on all the time it can eat up sets of brake pads very very quickly.
By the way, here in supposedly snowy Central Scotland it is +5 and there isn't a sign of snow anywhere except the very tops of the highest mountains, I'll be outside tidying up the garden this afternoon! It must be a tough life living in the SE with such horrific extremes of weather, one minute droughts and seering sunshine the next, 2cms of snow bringing the place to a grinding halt........................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:04am by XFullFatTim.)
05-02-2012 10:00am
ED209

I feel really sorry for you, being a sunderland fan.
05-02-2012 10:03am
jitenc

(05-02-2012 10:00am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Why don't you think HDC is useful in snow? It is supposed to prevent your wheels from locking up on slippery surfaces, a bit like ABS. If the snow is deep enough for you to loose traction then you should disable the DSC as that will cut the engine power and stop you from being able to use the tyre sidewalls from getting grip by swinging the steering wheel from lock to lock. DSC thinks you are going to crash the car when you start doing that sort of stuff, but actually in sand, mud and deep snow (sort 0.5m deep not 5cm deep!) you sometimes need to twirl the wheel a lot. DSC also will not let you apply lots of power which sometimes you need to prevent bogging down.
What I would recommend is that you only disable HDC when you are travelling "normally" in snow and as soon as you get to an incline or decline then re-engage it, left on all the time it can eat up sets of brake pads very very quickly.
By the way, here in supposedly snowy Central Scotland it is +5 and there isn't a sign of snow anywhere except the very tops of the highest mountains, I'll be outside tidying up the garden this afternoon! It must be a tough life living in the SE with such horrific extremes of weather, one minute droughts and seering sunshine the next, 2cms of snow bringing the place to a grinding halt........................
Thanks Tim for the tip...is the cruise control program, an effective mechanism to use if the HDC is engaged going downhill or uphill on the snow gear? Also, is the HDC effective when the road is icy?

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
05-02-2012 10:12am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The cruise buttons will adjust the speed at which your HDC cuts in and allows the car to run at when it is engaged. Early version of HDC were not adjustable and cut in at 5mph, it's amazing how fast 5mph feels when you are going downhill slightly out of control! Then when it engaged it felt like somebody had thrown an anchor out the back of the car - it was very sudden. Now it is controllable and much more progressive in fading in and out. If HDC is engaged cruise control is disengaged as HDC is a kind of "off road" cruise control for going up and down hills in total control. HDC was originally designed for use on steep slopes that were covered with wet grass, a surface off road that is as treacherous as ice is on road.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:30am by XFullFatTim.)
05-02-2012 10:29am
Evo-king

Do you know reading some of these posts, I think it should be mandatory for RR owners to go on a LR Experience before they take delivery of their Baby RR's.

Driving in these conditions would be a breeze then. The only thing a LR Experience cannot prepare you for are the other idiots on the road.

Ed209 any comments.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
05-02-2012 10:43am