Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are there any portable GPS that works ?
evQ

Are there any portable GPS that works ?

Are there any make model of GPS that works for those who do not have navigation as an option.
There are literally no signal inside and was wondering if anybody had any luck with any model or brand of GPS that works.
22-04-2012 06:21am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jonathon555

RE: Are there any portable GPS that works ?

(22-04-2012 06:21am)evQ Wrote:  Are there any make model of GPS that works for those who do not have navigation as an option.
There are literally no signal inside and was wondering if anybody had any luck with any model or brand of GPS that works.

Do you have a heated front screen ?

Or heart reflective one

These can sometimes block GPS signals

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
22-04-2012 10:20am
evQ

(22-04-2012 10:20am)Jonathon555 Wrote:  Do you have a heated front screen ?
Or heart reflective one
These can sometimes block GPS signals

I do not have heated front screen and don't what a heat reflective one is but unlikely unless it's standard. Anyways are there any specific brand of GPS that works in getting signals ?
Anyone?
22-04-2012 02:18pm
ED209

I used my htc desire phone in the car as a nav the other day, worked fine!

Lucky seeing as i was only using it becqause i got lost.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
22-04-2012 02:48pm
Jonathon555

This thread may help you.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Solar-Att...nteference

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 03:36pm by Jonathon555.)
22-04-2012 03:22pm
paul_s

I have used my Garmin a few times without any problems.
22-04-2012 07:33pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

EvoQ, if you do not have the heated screen then you should not have any problems using any portable.
My parents used to have problems using a Garmin hand held in an RV they owned, they got round the signal shadows due to the living quarters by using a GPS enabled PDA with a remote antenna on a sucker fitting on the roof light or rear window of the van, connected by bluetooth to the PDA - the PDA was an HP IPaq, the remote GPS antenna was purchased online and GPS routing software was from navMan.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 08:24pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-04-2012 08:23pm
speary

iPhone 4 with Tom Tom works great

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
23-04-2012 01:05pm
evQ

I don't have heated wind screen, but it does get a blue/violet tint when looked at from an angle after being under the sun/heat ( making me think it is solar attenuating ).
I am trying to get more info on GPS
i ) High negative dbM gps is better but not have luck in figuring out who makes gps
ii) GPS chipset with Sirf star iv, and better yet v, if there are any would be good again don't know who makes them
If I 'close' the panaromic roof and hold the gps on the window it can locate the satellite, but as as I move it to the middle console or dashboard the signal disappears slowly. (and once signals get lost it is unable to pick up signal while I am driving)

I've been using a non-garmin GPS, maybe I'll get a garmin and see how it performs.
Running wires and external antenna seems extremely undesirable, to the point that I would rather not drive than doing this to a 50K vehicle.
Thanks for the inputs...
23-04-2012 02:30pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I thought you wouldn't want wires which was why I suggested a battery powered bluetooth connected antenna that can stick to the inside of the panoroof or the rear window

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 04:43pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-04-2012 04:43pm