Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are there any portable GPS that works ?
Jonathon555

RE: Are there any portable GPS that works ?

(23-04-2012 02:30pm)evQ Wrote:  I don't have heated wind screen, but it does get a blue/violet tint when looked at from an angle after being under the sun/heat ( making me think it is solar attenuating ).
I am trying to get more info on GPS
i ) High negative dbM gps is better but not have luck in figuring out who makes gps
ii) GPS chipset with Sirf star iv, and better yet v, if there are any would be good again don't know who makes them
If I 'close' the panaromic roof and hold the gps on the window it can locate the satellite, but as as I move it to the middle console or dashboard the signal disappears slowly. (and once signals get lost it is unable to pick up signal while I am driving)

I've been using a non-garmin GPS, maybe I'll get a garmin and see how it performs.
Running wires and external antenna seems extremely undesirable, to the point that I would rather not drive than doing this to a 50K vehicle.
Thanks for the inputs...

Its the U.S spec glass that sapping the signal. The suggestion by Tim is the answer or swap the windscreen for a Euro one

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
23-04-2012 05:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bo_vien

Interesting. I have the heated windshield, but the GPS on my HTC Thunderbolt works fine.

1999 Toyota Camry LE - Woodland Green Prl, 14" steel rims, power windows and driver seat, broken cassette player Surprised
2012 Fuji White Tongue Out
24-04-2012 09:34am
evQ

(23-04-2012 05:36pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  Its the U.S spec glass that sapping the signal. The suggestion by Tim is the answer or swap the windscreen for a Euro one

Swapping sounds expensive. As for various phones or gps enabled pda seems a little less too desirable as I don't have any and prefer not to get a phone and pay monthly phone line service for gps & suspicious about long term reliability of substituting a pda as a gps. I'm still trying to find a high sensitive GPS and hopefully someone will make one soon.

I am going to buy the most expensive garmin out there to see how it performs....Confused ( unless anyone has already tried that and failed )
24-04-2012 02:13pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Have you tried an iPad? I use one with it's GPS(A) and UK Governement land maps in my Defender, there are numerous routing apps available for use with the 3G/WiFi versions and you can buy pay as you go SIMs so don't need to take out a contract with any service provider. My Defender doesn't have a heated front screen but it does have a full aluminium roof

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-04-2012 02:44pm
evQ

(24-04-2012 02:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Have you tried an iPad? I use one with it's GPS(A) and UK Governement land maps in my Defender, there are numerous routing apps available for use with the 3G/WiFi versions and you can buy pay as you go SIMs so don't need to take out a contract with any service provider. My Defender doesn't have a heated front screen but it does have a full aluminium roof
I don't think I can mount a 10" device on the dashboard or anywhere else while driving. Smile
24-04-2012 05:48pm
Starflyer

(23-04-2012 02:30pm)evQ Wrote:  I've been using a non-garmin GPS, maybe I'll get a garmin and see how it performs.
Running wires and external antenna seems extremely undesirable, to the point that I would rather not drive than doing this to a 50K vehicle.

I have 2 Garmins and neither one works. I do have the heated windshield. I've tested my Garmins and both work inside the vehicle if placed by the rear quarter side window. I'm going to either get a Garmin external antenna or one of these shown in the following link...

http://www.amazon.com/SBG-190-Re-radiati...B001UI4Z2A

I'm going to try to mount either of these device inside by the rear quarter window (I have the 4 door). Probably anywhere along the rear window in the coupe would do the trick. When I get the results, I'll post them here. I intend to run the wiring out of sight up to the dashboard area.

Note: None of the recent Garmins have a external antenna option. My Garmin Nuvi 760 does have the option.

IMHO Range Rover should make the electrically heated windshield a SEPARATE option, declaring that if ordered, it will make a portable GPS inoperative due to blocked GPS signals through the windshield.

In my entire "driving" life (over 55 years on the road), I've NEVER had a vehicle with an electrically heated windshield and I've been just fine with blowing hot air to defog. So, I think I can get along just fine without the electrically heated windshield. Now if this windshield ONLY blocked GPS signal when it was on, I could even live with that, but it's totally BS that it blocks GPS signals EVEN when it's off.

And then there's the matter of my EzPass. Guess what? I have to go to the external license plate EzPass because of this frigging windshield. I doubt ANY US manufacturer would make a car with this screwup.

I still love my Evoque so it's not a deal breaker. And I should note that my Evoque does have factory GPS, but for quick operation I vastly prefer my Garmin.

(22-04-2012 07:33pm)paul_s Wrote:  I have used my Garmin a few times without any problems.

You must not have the electrically heated windshield. On the off chance that you do, what model Garmin is it?
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 06:13pm by Starflyer.)
24-04-2012 06:09pm
turbotaz

I just got my Evoque, and was really anxious about using my trusty Garmin in it. Happy to report that a cheapo $5 mount from my last car fits amazingly well on the Evoque as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0474031544
11-09-2012 09:34pm
speary

from what i understand, its not the heated windscreen that blocks the signal, but the solar attenuating glass.
My wifes Focus has the heated windscreen and her iPhone with Tom Tom works fine on the dash

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-09-2012 08:41am