Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone else getting rust? (Underbody)
Pedalpower

RE: Anyone else getting rust? (Underbody)

(23-02-2012 12:32pm)Big G Wrote:  Slightly off topic, but my brother owned a Hillman Imp - the engine brackets rusted so badly that one day out on a drive his engine dropped from the rear onto the roadRolling with Laughter ! Thats what I call rust

hahah, I thought the mounts on those were made of paper so a splash of water was usually enough to activate a engine drop Smile Laughing
23-02-2012 01:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

(23-02-2012 10:55am)fam1x Wrote:  wow that is surprising news, didn’t think car's rust no more don’t all car makers offer like 10 years anti corrosion and rust free warrantee some even more something silly like 30 years by Mercedes.

Don't talk to me about rust not happening on modern cars... Or so called 12 year bodywork warranties...

Your rust (on an internal wheel arch panel) is appearing on the Surface so it's not covered... What rust doesn't appear on the surface and how is it external on an internal panel... Bast...s Banging Head

Mazda know how to destroy a good customer... and any chance of ever getting more sales or recommendations.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-02-2012 03:09pm
lngrn36

I looked at mine last night same rust area. I live in TX. No snow, no salt on roads. It was has been pointed out, shipped over. Other than that no salt afterwards.
How concerned am I?
Zero

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
23-02-2012 04:47pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

All exhausts rust unless stainless steel, Those brackets usually fail first because they rust off of the exhaust and take quite a bit of movement stress, Driveshafts generally aren't painted as they need to be balanced.

Not seeing a problem there.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-02-2012 08:37pm
J77

All my land rovers have had similar rust and have never fallin to bits. It's superficial nothing to get concerned over.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
23-02-2012 08:53pm
lngrn36

Just to be clear the Mercs use a coating to prevent rust and paint the axles. They do have fasteners and other bits that rust. Looks like LR could have done the same but opted to save money.
The BMW's have rust on the structural frame, fasteners and other bits.
I wish we didn't have rust on the exhaust, but I will eventually get a cat-back and this should resolve at least one area!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Climate package
Satellite Radio
24-02-2012 12:24am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Delta

(24-02-2012 12:24am)lngrn36 Wrote:  Just to be clear the Mercs use a coating to prevent rust and paint the axles. They do have fasteners and other bits that rust. Looks like LR could have done the same but opted to save money.
The BMW's have rust on the structural frame, fasteners and other bits.
I wish we didn't have rust on the exhaust, but I will eventually get a cat-back and this should resolve at least one area!

I understand it is all superficial rust and there is not much of a concern for a bracket or other bits. But the point is superficial or not, why did the front bits in the underbody seem like it's coated with something because it's fine. No superficial rust whatsoever.

I will eventually get a cutbacks exhaust and hopefully by then there will be a chip to increase performance.

Took it to the dealer and they said there should be a coating on those parts to prevent any rust. They took steel brush to it and then coated it with something. Forgot what it is they coated it with but it looks a ton better. Will take pics after the snow storm tonight and I get a good wash on it.
24-02-2012 02:04am
lngrn36

(24-02-2012 02:04am)Delta Wrote:  I understand it is all superficial rust and there is not much of a concern for a bracket or other bits. But the point is superficial or not, why did the front bits in the underbody seem like it's coated with something because it's fine. No superficial rust whatsoever.

I will eventually get a cutbacks exhaust and hopefully by then there will be a chip to increase performance.

I can hardly wait for some tunes on the SI4!
I did mention later that LR should have spent a few dollars more for some coatings. This will scare some people that don't have a mechanical aptitude for understanding such things as corrosion.
For instance. If LR coats those bits we're discussing, we wouldn't have this thread!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Climate package
Satellite Radio
24-02-2012 12:32pm
Delta

(24-02-2012 12:32pm)lngrn36 Wrote:  I can hardly wait for some tunes on the SI4!
I did mention later that LR should have spent a few dollars more for some coatings. This will scare some people that don't have a mechanical aptitude for understanding such things as corrosion.
For instance. If LR coats those bits we're discussing, we wouldn't have this thread!

Yeah it's only a matter of time before someone comes out with a Kit for us North Americans.

And better wheel options too.
24-02-2012 03:08pm
fam1x

I have checked my car and it's got rust in the exact same places. Will post pictures later as not sure how you can upload pictures from Iphone.

My car is less that 2 months old. Not sure how it got that much rust in such a short time. Sent pictures to LR customer service see what they have to say.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
26-02-2012 06:33pm