Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone else getting rust? (Underbody)
Pedalpower

RE: Anyone else getting rust? (Underbody)

two of those pics are from a exhaust bracket, are people really worried about that ??, i can't say that would bother me, the other is a drive shaft, that will never rust through and the other surface rust on what looks like a washer on the swing arm. If i had seen this i would not be remotely concerned, rust on the body, now thats different..... are people going to start worrying if surface rust appears on the brake discs after cleaning ? haha. Smile No point in under sealing a exhaust either, it will only burn off.
23-02-2012 08:01am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
caroline11000

Well that doesn't look good, I will have a look at mine now!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
23-02-2012 10:18am
Firenze

(23-02-2012 08:01am)Pedalpower Wrote:  two of those pics are from a exhaust bracket, are people really worried about that ??, i can't say that would bother me, the other is a drive shaft, that will never rust through and the other surface rust on what looks like a washer on the swing arm. If i had seen this i would not be remotely concerned, rust on the body, now thats different..... are people going to start worrying if surface rust appears on the brake discs after cleaning ? haha. Smile No point in under sealing a exhaust either, it will only burn off.

I agree, although you would think the drive shafts would have a bit of paint on them but they will never rust through.

I used to have an off road buggy that I would spray underneath with WD40 after washing and it still looked like new at a year old, but it wasn't used as much as a car

So can anyone recommend a treatment for underneath? or is it just not worth bothering about

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
23-02-2012 10:41am
fam1x

wow that is surprising news, didn’t think car's rust no more don’t all car makers offer like 10 years anti corrosion and rust free warrantee some even more something silly like 30 years by Mercedes.

Will have to get under my car and have a look as I’ve had it a little long than Delta and we’ve had snow in London. I can just see the headlines from LR UK we had the wrong type of snow which is affecting the Evoque’s.... 

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
23-02-2012 10:55am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The corrosion looks unsightly but isn't on any safety critical parts or thinly constructed bits. I think if you looked on any new car from any maker you would find some gingered bits of metal work somewhere. If it worries you then a light wire brushing of the rust and a quick lick of Hammerite or waxoyl will keep it looking nice and shiny.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-02-2012 11:02am
Firenze

(23-02-2012 10:55am)fam1x Wrote:  wow that is surprising news, didn’t think car's rust no more don’t all car makers offer like 10 years anti corrosion and rust free warrantee some even more something silly like 30 years by Mercedes.

30 years by Mercedes - thats a laugh Laughing I know someone who had a 2002 SL which had rust on the wheel arches and they wouldn't even pay a bit towards the repair, saying that wheel arches can get hit by stones - unreal, the last car I had with rusty wheel arches was in the early 90's

Even though its in the manual that they cover for 30 years they still get out of it, just search rust on the Mercedes forum

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
23-02-2012 11:05am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Many makers will not honour the anti rust warranty if you have not used a main dealer service bay. They claim that non-franchise service outlets don't follow the correct procedure for inspecting the vehicle thus invalidating the warranty. Look at the UK roads today and how many really rusty cars do you see? There are a lot fewer now since the Lancia Beta fiasco than there used to be. You don't even see cars with Ziebart or Dynitrol Anti rust treatment stickers on the back like you used to.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-02-2012 11:13am
Firenze

(23-02-2012 11:13am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Many makers will not honour the anti rust warranty if you have not used a main dealer service bay. They claim that non-franchise service outlets don't follow the correct procedure for inspecting the vehicle thus invalidating the warranty. Look at the UK roads today and how many really rusty cars do you see? There are a lot fewer now since the Lancia Beta fiasco than there used to be. You don't even see cars with Ziebart or Dynitrol Anti rust treatment stickers on the back like you used to.

My friends SL had a full Mercedes service history and even had a service a few months before he found the rust, as part of the service they had even filled in a form saying no rust found anywhere which he showed me

(This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 11:47am by Firenze.)
23-02-2012 11:46am
Pedalpower

I am sure any sort of rust warranty would only cover the body/Chassis, i can't believe it covers every not and bolt !, what about if you get surface rust on brake disks, or as in this case exhaust brackets, are they going to replace the parts !. The bodies and chassis are going to be galvanized, this is where the warranty applies. Can say i have even looked under my car ! Smile
23-02-2012 12:22pm
Big G

(23-02-2012 12:22pm)Pedalpower Wrote:  I am sure any sort of rust warranty would only cover the body/Chassis, i can't believe it covers every not and bolt !, what about if you get surface rust on brake disks, or as in this case exhaust brackets, are they going to replace the parts !. The bodies and chassis are going to be galvanized, this is where the warranty applies. Can say i have even looked under my car ! Smile

Slightly off topic, but my brother owned a Hillman Imp - the engine brackets rusted so badly that one day out on a drive his engine dropped from the rear onto the roadRolling with Laughter ! Thats what I call rust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
23-02-2012 12:32pm