Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2 replacement gearboxes on Evoque in first year
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: 2 replacement gearboxes on Evoque in first year

It is interesting that there are people needing to have replacement gearboxes on what are in effect new cars, up to this week there had been no reports from forum members that anyone had had to have a complete replacement gearbox. I have heard of Jeep owners with the same gearbox having them replaced but this is first time I've heard of Evoque owners suffering the same fate. I wonder how long it will be before Evoque goes back to the 6 or an 8 speed unit as used in the Disco4,RRS and FFRR if there are so many issues with the 9 speed unit? Since the latest software update to mine I have noticed no difference, it still revs to 3500/4000 rpms on pull away and still doesn't have the silky smooth almost imperceptable gear changes that the car was delivered with. Seems to me with 20/20 hindsight that when things are working fine they are best left alone and not finger-poked with.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-03-2015 11:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jcarrot

(14-03-2015 11:17am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It is interesting that there are people needing to have replacement gearboxes on what are in effect new cars, up to this week there had been no reports from forum members that anyone had had to have a complete replacement gearbox. I have heard of Jeep owners with the same gearbox having them replaced but this is first time I've heard of Evoque owners suffering the same fate. I wonder how long it will be before Evoque goes back to the 6 or an 8 speed unit as used in the Disco4,RRS and FFRR if there are so many issues with the 9 speed unit? Since the latest software update to mine I have noticed no difference, it still revs to 3500/4000 rpms on pull away and still doesn't have the silky smooth almost imperceptable gear changes that the car was delivered with. Seems to me with 20/20 hindsight that when things are working fine they are best left alone and not finger-poked with.

I had reported on this forum my 2014 MY 9 speed had a complete replacement within 2 months of delivery, the replacement has been fine and most up changes occur at or around 2,000 revs, any more revs and you can feel the changes and you tend to be going faster than the traffic in front of you.
With the adaptive gearbox I believe that it resets after each time the car is reset from updates etc. but this has had very little effect on how it changes.
I have commented elsewhere that since the last update I have found no benefit in Sport Mode as a heavier right foot in Drive has the same effect.
Sport Mode is, however, very good for rapid progress on twisty B roads with its eagerness to change down on corners saving on brake wear.
15-03-2015 11:11am
HannahB

I'm quite surprised that there has only been one other replacement gearbox on this forum, I thought there had been loads? I picked mine back up yesterday with its third gearbox and it's very obvious that there are still problems with it. It hesitates between gears and when pulling away from a crawl, I asked my stepdad to drive it and he said the same. Not sure whether to report it to Land Rover Assistance or wait for it to actually break again?
15-03-2015 12:16pm
Stadt Panzer

2 replacement gearboxes on Evoque in first year

Report it. Sounds more like a software problem.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
15-03-2015 01:37pm
Kojak

Have you contacted a land rover rep on either of the 2 forums for some guidance?

I cannot believe you have got the car back and can detect issues that your dealer workshop have failed to recognise.
Surely they road tested before informing you the car was OK and ready to collect?
I also cannot see that 3 out of 3 gearbox are not up to it.

When you put these things together and you are still not satisfied, their competence has to be called into question.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
15-03-2015 01:41pm
HannahB

Yes am in communication with the dealer, LR customer service and LR financial services as I have now rejected the car and they are investigating my complaint. From a complaint standpoint I'm quite far into the process, I guess I came on this forum looking for advice from lots of other people that had experienced similar issues to mine but it doesn't seem as though they are that many people that have had a similar experience to me!
15-03-2015 07:35pm
Evo-king

Hannah.

On both forums we have had owners who have had gearbox problems with the new 9 speed auto, but from memory all have been software related.

With the recent updates most owners have commented that the car feels better.

I hope you get yours sorted.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
15-03-2015 10:26pm
HannahB

Hi everyone, for anyone that is interested in the outcome of my triple gearbox saga you'll all be pleased to hear after 16 months of ownership, 28000 miles and 3 gearboxes the poor old Evoque was collected on Friday and refund received today! Amazing looking car, shame about the gearbox! Waiting for my Audi Q3 arriving on 1st September - wish me luck!
(This post was last modified: 27-07-2015 07:50pm by HannahB.)
27-07-2015 07:49pm
walterwindbag

(27-07-2015 07:49pm)HannahB Wrote:  Hi everyone, for anyone that is interested in the outcome of my triple gearbox saga you'll all be pleased to hear after 16 months of ownership, 28000 miles and 3 gearboxes the poor old Evoque was collected on Friday and refund received today! Amazing looking car, shame about the gearbox! Waiting for my Audi Q3 arriving on 1st September - wish me luck!

Hannah Hi, best of luck with your new Q3, I'm sure the Audi mechanicals will be up to your expectations - although as we all know (especially you) that all makes can have issues. I think the Q3 is probably a good first reserve for an Evoque, pity they are so fugly in comparison Smile

Did you end up with 3 faulty gearboxes in your Ewok, one after the other? What are the chances of that? Sad

All the best
Walt

On order for Nov: SE Tech Coupe, 180bhp, 9 speed auto, pano roof, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rear camera, 5 year service pack, Active Driveline, Aintree Green, Almond/Espresso.
28-07-2015 09:14am