babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Site News & Chat (/Forum-Site-News-Chat)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (/Forum-Off-Topic)
+---- Forum: Everything Else (/Forum-Everything-Else)
+---- Thread: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals (/Thread-CarsGuide-Auto-is-killing-manuals)

Pages: 1 2

CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - Kermit - 09-06-2011 05:03am

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-news/auto_is_killing_manuals

Quote:Compared with Britain, where just one new vehicle in five is an auto, 71 per cent of Australian buyers opted for one last year -- up from 61 per cent a decade ago.

Am I crazy if I go for a manual RRE (I've never owned an auto)?

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - vinda - 24-06-2011 12:51am

Go for auto. Unless Mark ups are outragious

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - Kermit - 25-06-2011 01:49am

(24-06-2011 12:51am)vinda Wrote:  Go for auto. Unless Mark ups are outragious

$2.5k extra Down Under. If it was the 8 speed auto I'd be alot more excited. SWMBO perfers a manual. We'll test drive both.

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - berlin2011 - 25-06-2011 02:41pm

No Choice on that one in South Africa - Only Prestige and Dynamic and only Auto

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - gead - 04-09-2011 04:32am

My evoque will be an auto, but when the second car comes along, it will be a manual

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - XFullFatTim - 04-09-2011 10:41am

Unless it's a car with a puny little 1ltr engine I wouldn't have another manual gearboxes car again, today's autos all have a manual override/tipronic/paddle shift/DSG anyway - one I wouldn't recommend though is the Honda system on the early current model of Jazz. My father has one and it isn't really an auto, it's an automated manual and it is awful and very confusing to drive as it decides when it wants to be manual or automatic. Thank goodness Honda took note in the huge drop in sales of auto Jazzes, listened to complaints from owners who threatened to walk away from the brand and re-introduced a "conventional" CVT auto for the oldies who seem to make up 90% of Jazz sales.

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - gead - 04-09-2011 12:01pm

My current car is a dsg r36 passat, and it's an amazing combination of engine and gearbox. No doubt its probably quicker than an equivalent manual, but for driving enjoyment (not the daily grind), I think a manual transmission is unbeatable. I drove my mates Rs Clio 200 the other day, and the simple act of slotting your own gears was so rewarding....much more so than pulling a paddle...

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - boxersergio - 04-09-2011 04:19pm

Somebody once wrote in a car magazine that driving a manual is like making passionate love, it involves engagement and a workout. Driving an auto was almost like artificial insemination. I agree.

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - bell-auto-services - 04-09-2011 05:19pm

I used to be a manual fanatic type person and would not entertain autos, since then i have had an RRS which are only auto and loved it, i then had a D4 auto for 2 years and loved it.

Pete

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals - DynamicRRV - 04-09-2011 05:47pm

Auto!