babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Will I need winter tyres???????? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Will I need winter tyres???????? (/Thread-Will-I-need-winter-tyres)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - pureevoque - 29-11-2011 10:02pm

Yes they will

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - ytshome - 29-11-2011 10:07pm

(29-11-2011 09:56pm)ceebee Wrote:  Some great advice, thanks guys.

I may think about buying a set of smaller wheels with winters on then swapping would be a lot easier. Did I read somewhere on this forum that freelander 2 wheels will go straight onto an Evoque?

Hi again, Yes they will. I chose a set of new 18's and had the winters fitted by the dealer. Worked out decent value too. If you look at a thread called "snow", I've included a picture in that thread. Just rember to adjust the size of the tyres ie I put 235 60 18s on instead of the original 235 55 19 and they seem to work very well.

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - PhilSkill - 29-11-2011 11:11pm

I recommend you fit all 4, if you change 2 you need to be sure they come up very similar size, otherwise you'll add extra stress to the front to rear diff. Easiest way to have 4 spare wheels with winters then you can change them when you need to.

It also depends what you intend to be driving on as to if you need them at all, but will be better for the cold months.

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - XFullFatTim - 30-11-2011 11:29am

Regarding changing only 2 wheels to winter tyres - with the 4WD system of RRE you could do severe drive train damage running different tread patterns with differnt grip characteristics on the two axles. There could also be insurance/warranty and legal implications of running different tyres on the front and rear axles, unless your Evoque is the 2WD version of course then it wouldn't matter, also I don't think any 2WD Evoques have escaped from Halewood into public ownership yet have they?

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - Wicksy - 30-11-2011 11:35am

I can't believe people are contemplating wasting their cash on winter tyres on a Range Rover - last year the roads were horrendous and my Lexus 400h with normal tyres never stuttered once - I fully expect the same performance from my Evoque

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - paulus599 - 30-11-2011 11:38am

It's always recommended that you fit all 4 wheels with winter tyres, regardless of wether the car is 2 or 4 wheel drive. This will be because it's not only about traction, but also about braking performance, i.e. if you only fit them to the front wheels and you need to brake reasonably hard, then you'll find the rear end quickly overtaking the front! Shocked

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - martinPL - 30-11-2011 07:38pm

It's simple. You either get all season and have average but adequate performance in summer and winter or you get summer perf tires for summer and winter tires for winter. More expensive setup, more work as you need to rotate the wheels between the seasons but I enjoy the extra performance from each set. 20" wheels supposedly come with summer tires - driving on these in winter conditions is simply insane no matter if you have AWD. Not necessarily the best comparo but check these two videos (gives you an idea):
- http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=23
-

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - oop north - 30-11-2011 08:26pm

(30-11-2011 11:35am)Wicksy Wrote:  I can't believe people are contemplating wasting their cash on winter tyres on a Range Rover - last year the roads were horrendous and my Lexus 400h with normal tyres never stuttered once - I fully expect the same performance from my Evoque

Your Evoque should be much better with the normal tyres than the 400h was (assuming it had summer tyres)
(29-11-2011 11:11pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I recommend you fit all 4, if you change 2 you need to be sure they come up very similar size, otherwise you'll add extra stress to the front to rear diff. Easiest way to have 4 spare wheels with winters then you can change them when you need to.

It also depends what you intend to be driving on as to if you need them at all, but will be better for the cold months.

You could well void your insurance by only fitting two winter tyres...

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - martinPL - 30-11-2011 08:51pm

I don't get it. Spending +/- $50K on the car and trying to use only 2 winter tires ??? 4 wheel drive vehicles are to get a grip on any of the 4 wheels. Using only 2 winter tires is like walking in one sandal and one wellington Smile

RE: Will I need winter tyres???????? - ytshome - 30-11-2011 10:04pm

I contacted my insurance company as soon as I did the switch and they explained that a huge number had done similarly. They were happy, so long as genuine parts and decent tyres were used.