Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will I need winter tyres????????
ceebee

I am after some advice.

What are peoples opinions on whether the Evoque would benefit from winter tyres?

I fitted them on the front of my Kuga last year and they were fantastic, so i am wondering if I should do the same on the Evoque? Looking around I can possibly get a pair for £400 and putting them on as soon as any bad weather hits.

With the Evoque being constant 4WD I wasn't sure if I would be better off with a pair on the front, or on the back, or bite the bullet and get all 4?

As I intend on having the car for maybe 4 years it may be worth the initial outlay now and I would expect them to last for as long as I have the car as I get them off as soon as the weather improves?

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
29-11-2011 07:53pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: Will I need winter tyres????????

Winter Tyres are optimised to perform best below 7 degrees C. Should the temperature go down to 7 deg or lower then your Evoque will benefit from having winter tyres fitted.

In my opinion you would need to fit winter tyres to all four wheels and if you were on the Continent of Europe you would find it is mandatory to fit them to all four wheels rather than just 2.
29-11-2011 08:04pm
joe00_1

hi picking my evoque up tomorrow, but i was talking to guy who is powder coating my wheels. He said he was looking for winter tyres because his 20 inch tyres fitted were no good for winter but my 19inch were dual purpose, he had been quoted £270 a tyre so your £400 for 2 tyres sounds ok
29-11-2011 08:07pm
griff

I have been advised by my dealer and the guys at RR Experience that the Evoque does not need winter tyres unless you expect extraordinary conditions. My evoque is fitted with the standard Pirelli M+S scorpion tyres.

I have also been told that you should fit four winter tyres. Two is more dangerous in emergency braking as the tyres at the back are less efficient.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
29-11-2011 08:10pm
ytshome

I've fitted them to mine and on all four. Its my understanding that the ones fitted to Evoque give a fair degree of capability in most situations. however, my view on this was that its not just about the snow and ice but cold slippery conditions where winters have a considerable advantage below 7 degrees C as has already been mentioned.

We have a horse and attended the stables daily where the car parks can be rough, very rutted and damaging to tyres and alloys in wintry conditions, so I thought that a spare set of alloys with winters will at least save my Summer tyres and alloys, which I reckon will mean that I should get a few years out of each set.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
29-11-2011 08:57pm
IKM

I know I live in NE Scotland but even with 17" m&s on the Freelander as standard we wouldn't be without winter or cold weather tyres once the temperature starts dropping below 7 degrees. Same story in Norway with my Xtrail which had 16" m&s as standard and 4 wheel lock (it wasn't a legal requirement for winter tyres, but if you had an accident without winter tyres you were viewed as negligent until proven otherwise).

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
29-11-2011 09:05pm
oop north

My Subaru with standard Yokohama geolanders coped extremely well in last year's snow, although would no doubt be even better on winter tyres
29-11-2011 09:08pm
Evoqess

I know it's a bit of a conundrum in places with milder winters (like Vancouver) but I have them mounted.
Consider the following.......
It's hovering around 1 degree outside. The sun hasn't come up yet. I'm driving along beside a local daycare and an excited four year old breaks from her mum's grasp and runs in front of me.
I wear winters because I want to make sure I'll have the best chance to pull up in time! Even if my salesperson said I wouldn't need winter tire on the Evoque. Tire manufacturers provide us with excellent products and recommendations and have done the research. My salesperson has probably never driven the demo Evoque in poorer conditions either.
I actually chose 19" alloys vs 20" and applied the money saved to my winter setup. Works for me Smile

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
29-11-2011 09:38pm
Evo-king

(29-11-2011 08:57pm)ytshome Wrote:  I've fitted them to mine and on all four. Its my understanding that the ones fitted to Evoque give a fair degree of capability in most situations. however, my view on this was that its not just about the snow and ice but cold slippery conditions where winters have a considerable advantage below 7 degrees C as has already been mentioned.

We have a horse and attended the stables daily where the car parks can be rough, very rutted and damaging to tyres and alloys in wintry conditions, so I thought that a spare set of alloys with winters will at least save my Summer tyres and alloys, which I reckon will mean that I should get a few years out of each set.

ytshome.

I think if you're going to get winters then that is the best way, get them fitted to another set of wheel/alloys.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
29-11-2011 09:40pm
ceebee

Some great advice, thanks guys.

I may think about buying a set of smaller wheels with winters on then swapping would be a lot easier. Did I read somewhere on this forum that freelander 2 wheels will go straight onto an Evoque?

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
29-11-2011 09:56pm