babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Where do you put the key in the car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think there was something along these line before.

All the Evoques has a stop start button to start the car, what happens if your battery runs out on the keyfob and you dont replace it how do you start the car as the doesnt find the key.

Is there an old fashion manual way to put the key and turn it to start the car. Just for information as don't recall seeing a place for the key.

Thanks
Fam
You get out the 2nd fob and use that.....................
Plus the display panel warns you that the smart key battery is low, happened to both of mine in recent weeks.
Also the only reason for the emergency key is to open the hidden lock so you can get at the bonnet release to open that to charge the main battery.
From the manual ...
KEYLESS START BACKUP
If the vehicle has been unlocked using the emergency key blade or the Smart Key is not detected by the vehicle, it will be necessary to use the keyless start backup to disarm the alarm and start the engine.
The keyless start backup can only be used when the message Smart Key Not Found Refer to Handbook is displayed in the message centre.
Position the Smart Key against the underside of the steering column cover with the buttons facing downwards.
With the brake (Auto) or clutch (Man) pedal depressed, press and release the START/STOP button to start the engine.
When the engine starts, you no longer need to hold the Smart Key beneath the steering column.
Sorry to be dumb. Does that procedure work even if the key battery is flat?
Maybe uses induction to juice an NFC chip like with paywave on your debit card?
Induction charging keys have been used in Land Rovers and Range Rovers since the Disco 3 appeared in 2001 - Freelander2 had a slightly different system when it came out with a fob more like the Aston Martin chunk of crystal that slotted into a fitting in the dash and that recharged the fob battery, The L322 and RRS both had the flick-knife type BMW fob like Disco3 and they also charged by induction throuh the keyhole - never used to get these problems with them though as they fitted into a convention keybarrel. I think it is only since 2010 that these "smart" keys have been used by LR
The lithium cr2032 battery should last at least 2 years with normal use. Mine is 22 months old and still ok (that should put the kiss of death on it now) BMW and Audi have used this type of battery operated key for years
(29-01-2014 04:40pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]You get out the 2nd fob and use that.....................

I could Tim if I was home just think what if I'm hiking in the hills in scotland get back to the car and discover the battery has run out Smile

Second Key is back home miles away. I was thinking maybe call the person at home get them to press the unlock next to the phone and my magic it will open the door and start the engine for me. But not tested that theory yet seeing you dont need the key present once the engine is on.

Now I'm lost lost induction charging and crystals think I need to test these theories out. My cars 2 years old I might have an old dead battery in my camera bag.

Just chatting to colleague think easier option would be to just have a spare cr2032 battery in the boot or glove box. because you can always get into the car when the fob fails.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's