Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where do you put the key in the car?
fam1x

I think there was something along these line before.

All the Evoques has a stop start button to start the car, what happens if your battery runs out on the keyfob and you dont replace it how do you start the car as the doesnt find the key.

Is there an old fashion manual way to put the key and turn it to start the car. Just for information as don't recall seeing a place for the key.

Thanks
Fam

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
29-01-2014 04:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Where do you put the key in the car?

You get out the 2nd fob and use that.....................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-01-2014 04:40pm
Evo-king

Plus the display panel warns you that the smart key battery is low, happened to both of mine in recent weeks.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
29-01-2014 04:53pm
XFullFatTim

Also the only reason for the emergency key is to open the hidden lock so you can get at the bonnet release to open that to charge the main battery.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-01-2014 04:58pm
rob1

From the manual ...
KEYLESS START BACKUP
If the vehicle has been unlocked using the emergency key blade or the Smart Key is not detected by the vehicle, it will be necessary to use the keyless start backup to disarm the alarm and start the engine.
The keyless start backup can only be used when the message Smart Key Not Found Refer to Handbook is displayed in the message centre.
Position the Smart Key against the underside of the steering column cover with the buttons facing downwards.
With the brake (Auto) or clutch (Man) pedal depressed, press and release the START/STOP button to start the engine.
When the engine starts, you no longer need to hold the Smart Key beneath the steering column.

Pure SD4 auto, white, sunroof, tech pack, clearview pack, power fold mirrors, elec leather seats, power tailgate, park distance front, rear camera, roof rails/crossbars, mudflaps, rubber loadspace mat.
29-01-2014 08:38pm
Good shot

Sorry to be dumb. Does that procedure work even if the key battery is flat?

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
29-01-2014 08:50pm
MarkA_

Maybe uses induction to juice an NFC chip like with paywave on your debit card?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2014 09:21pm by MarkA_.)
29-01-2014 09:20pm
XFullFatTim

Induction charging keys have been used in Land Rovers and Range Rovers since the Disco 3 appeared in 2001 - Freelander2 had a slightly different system when it came out with a fob more like the Aston Martin chunk of crystal that slotted into a fitting in the dash and that recharged the fob battery, The L322 and RRS both had the flick-knife type BMW fob like Disco3 and they also charged by induction throuh the keyhole - never used to get these problems with them though as they fitted into a convention keybarrel. I think it is only since 2010 that these "smart" keys have been used by LR

30-01-2014 03:31pm
speary

The lithium cr2032 battery should last at least 2 years with normal use. Mine is 22 months old and still ok (that should put the kiss of death on it now) BMW and Audi have used this type of battery operated key for years

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
31-01-2014 09:32am
fam1x

(29-01-2014 04:40pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You get out the 2nd fob and use that.....................

I could Tim if I was home just think what if I'm hiking in the hills in scotland get back to the car and discover the battery has run out Smile

Second Key is back home miles away. I was thinking maybe call the person at home get them to press the unlock next to the phone and my magic it will open the door and start the engine for me. But not tested that theory yet seeing you dont need the key present once the engine is on.

Now I'm lost lost induction charging and crystals think I need to test these theories out. My cars 2 years old I might have an old dead battery in my camera bag.

Just chatting to colleague think easier option would be to just have a spare cr2032 battery in the boot or glove box. because you can always get into the car when the fob fails.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 12:30pm by fam1x.)
03-02-2014 12:16pm