babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Sat Nav issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all
So I've been having intermittent sat nav problems over the past couple of months or so - sometimes my sat nav doesn't appear to know where it is!
It still gives a location, but the location is wrong, typically a couple of hundred metres away from where I actually am. Makes it pretty useless both as a "moving map" and for actual turn by turn. Weirdly the problem only seems to be intermittent. I think it might be to do with satellite pickup but on this system I can't seem to see how many satellites it's connected to. Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Also since being in at the stealers mine has developed an odd rattle from the passenger side speaker, which is particularly evident when dialling the phone. Again, anyone else's do this? Think I'm going to have to go to the dealers and get one of the service engineers to come out with me on a drive and listen to all the rattles I'm getting, before it goes in to get fixed! Smile
Does the satnav problem happen in only town or anywhere? GPS can loose it's accuracy if you are near tall buildings, beside a double decker bus or under trees. The signals from the satelittes is a very weak VHF transmission and is very easily inteferred with by higher powered radio transmitters as well
Hi XFFT - no it happens in various places, yesterday it was while going along the m80 but I live out near the north edge of Glasgow so not too close to town. It's an intermittent issue so I'm considering going back to the dealer and seeing if there's some sort of software fault.
I wonder if you have a loose connection in the antenna system?
Good point - hadn't thought of that! I'll raise that with the dealers, going to speak to them about it when it goes in to get rattles sorted, ask if they can re-load the software / maps to see if it's a mapping error.
Just a few hundred metres......

Some days when we start ours up it thinks its in Belgium! Can never quite catch the street name, then it just says "welcome to the United Kingdom" and I'm back outside our house in Hertfordshire.

Has done this many many times LaughingLaughing

This car has never been to Belgium.......
Sounds like a poor GPS receiver unit or a poor connection to me too.
We had problems when we were in glasgow, satnav doesn't seem to have the M74 from rutherglen to Pollokshields. Maybe there are other areas not correctly mapped. I reported it to my dealer in April and again a few weeks ago, no updates available. Worth checking in case it's a wiring issue as suggested by others.
MFRR have you got a 2012 or 2013 evoque? I'm wondering if the maps were updated in 2013 to include the 'new' M74 (which opened in 2011, before my 2012 car was built). There have definitely been two maps updates released by navteq (2013 and 2014) for our sat nav systems, so I'm wondering if the 2013 cars' maps have the M74 on it.

Shenley is your region set to the UK? That might be the reason for defaulting to Belgium?

Mine did it again the other night, stopped at home and the sat nav was in the right position, started again a couple of hours later and it was about 400 metres or so to the north, thing is I live in a pretty open area with no high rise buildings anywhere near me. It resolved mid drive though, so no idea what's going on!
(24-09-2013 12:16pm)m_101 Wrote: [ -> ]MFRR have you got a 2012 or 2013 evoque? I'm wondering if the maps were updated in 2013 to include the 'new' M74 (which opened in 2011, before my 2012 car was built). There have definitely been two maps updates released by navteq (2013 and 2014) for our sat nav systems, so I'm wondering if the 2013 cars' maps have the M74 on it.

I have a MY13 Evoque, delivery Dec12. When I asked the dealer re map updates they told me there were none on their system. I'll ask again next time I'm in. Wasn't initially impressed with the satnav, our first trip from Aberdeen to Glasgow it kept directing us via Edinburgh no matter what options we selected, we ignored it and went direct to Glasgow and found no road works or other reason to go on the suggested huge detour. Used the satnav for 1500 mile road trip in the summer, seemed to work really well and didn't do any more crazy routes.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's