babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Sat Nav issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The system does have some strange fits at times - I drive Stirling/London/Stirling 3-4 times a year and always use the routing even if I don't follow the recommended route given by the satnav (although for that trip an autopilot would also be handy!). Two weeks ago driving south the system instructed me to leave the motorway at Lancaster Services (aka Hilton Park for those old enough - the one with the tower!) soon after I had left my overnight stop at Lancaster. Now I haven't been into Lancaster Services in years so goodness knows why it directed me there. The other thing not shown on the mapping yet is the "new" junction layout where the M8 joins the M73 just SW of Cumbernauld and that has been open now for at least 2 years.
MFRR - Hmm, so basically I wonder from what you're saying if the Navteq maps are just a bit old and rubbish, even the updated ones don't seem to have roads on them that have been open for 2 years.
Also, in the Aberdeen to Glasgow thing, did you have "Easy routes" turned on? although can't see why that would skip going up the m80 to Stirling and through - it's all large A roads or motorways.
I have previously defended the satnav as acceptable. However, this past week I have used it more than previous - if there is no traffic issue then all is fine, but the minute there is a hold-up the system kept trying to make illogical re-routes and even if I cancelled the pop-up, the pop-up kept reappearing - towards the end of my journey I was pulling my hair out and wishing that I had my van's TomTom with me. LR need to make serious changes / updates if they want me to purchase it in my next vehicle!
I turn off TMC then the system is fine, with it on I find the same, constant reroutes and changes that drive you crazy.
In addition to the issues mentioned in this thread, my sat. nav. can't even work out how to get me home properly! Whether I input my postcode afresh, or use 'previous destination', it tries to take me past the lane which goes towards my house, round a ten-mile loop, then back to exactly the same point! It thus adds a nonsensical ten miles to every journey home, such that ETAs etc. all become incorrect. I deleted all my saved routes to get a fresh start (losing useful data at the same time) but it still does it.

Another annoyance is that it won't accept that I've ever arrived anywhere unless I actively cancel navigation. If I don't, it starts the next journey by trying to finish the last one.
The sat nav in the Evoque borders on useless. I always had to double-check the best route on my phone and after few months into owning the car I just bought a Tom Tom.

The fact that, when driving from Kingston into central London, it says it'll take 16 minutes for a journey that would take around 40 minutes even at 3am on a Sunday, is laughable.

It regularly routes me the longest/most awkward route. Plus it annoys me that the 'take me home' option doesn't allow you to select the route.

The TMC is even worse as it doesn't appear to be able to decide if the traffic you're in is quicker than taking the alternative route, meaning it'll re-route you on some epic cross-country trip rather than just sitting in traffic for 5 mins.

Terrible!
(23-09-2013 11:19am)Shenley Wrote: [ -> ]Just a few hundred metres......

Some days when we start ours up it thinks its in Belgium! Can never quite catch the street name, then it just says "welcome to the United Kingdom" and I'm back outside our house in Hertfordshire.

Has done this many many times LaughingLaughing

This car has never been to Belgium.......

Hi just had this same problem but I also lost voice control dealer diagnosed a fault audio module this controls both voice and sat nav went in last week new module fitted all fine in fact it is better than before just one point in the P O I you find the range rover dealerships I now have a Volvo logo in P O I mentioned to dealer they think most manufacturers use a number of like parts but have to say this doesn't matter so get yours into dealer before you lose voice as well
Just got mine out of the garage. It thinks I'm in Brussels this morning. That's nice Rolling Eyes
Have a look in the satnav set-up and see which country is set as the default - Belgium is the default I think and you need to change the default to the UK. Unfortunately I'm not near the car so I cannot give you a step by step guide as to how to get into the default country
Many of the issues raised above can be linked back to the Sat Nav set up.

As Tim mentioned check the Country of origin.
If it can't get you home on your preferred route ensure 'learn route' is enabled and after 3 drives on the same route with the same detour it should remember your preferred route and drop the extensive detour.
Also check 'easy route' is turned off as 'easy route' will try and give you a route that avoids turning right across traffic.

TMC relies on accurate up to date information being broadcast over the TMC channel, which in the UK is piggy backed onto Classic FM. If the traffic information is not updated by the TMC Channel the Sat Nav will work on the latest available which could well be out of date, hence giving apparently daft directions.

I agree it's not as intuitive as some systems but set up correctly it works adequately and is an improvement over the previous DVD based systems.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's