babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Running in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now I realise that you don't need to run in cars these days with the tight tolerances in engine manufacture but I did read somewhere that its a good idea to give the engine a work out to loosen it up and improve fuel economy.

Any thoughts?
Don't labour the engine, and vary the rpm initially rather than just stay at a constant speed on the Motorway. Diesels will often still be bedding in 10000 miles later!

Giving it a good workout is more likely to shorten the life of your engine, and is sometimes used on race engines that want tighter tolerances, but don't need to live for 100's of thousands of miles.

Don't listen to me listen to the AA they say much the same...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/gen...w-car.html
Thanks for the tips, will have to pick a nice twisty road this weekend to give it a gentle work out and see what it can do.
Just take it easy and avoid extremes of both high and low revs for the first 1000. -1500 miles. Remember Evoque doesn't have a remote reading dip stick so watch the oil consumption - Evoque has a high carbon content engine block in the diesel engined cars and this does act a bit like a sponge so you may well ( but not always! ) see a consumption of between 1/2 & 3/4 of a litre of oil in the first couple of thousand miles. I was also warned to avoid heavy braking in the first few weeks of ownership to let them bed in easily.
Thanks Tim, I didn't realise that low revs where a no no and I tend to change gear quite early so will have to watch this. Haven't had too many diesel cars (this is the second) so must remember at the pumps, the anti petrol flap will help as well.
Put a couple of litres of petrol in a D3 once, oops.
It's low RPM in. High gear that isn't good as stem as high revs in a low gear!
Mine is an auto and when it was new I thought it was changing up way too early, but that's the way the gearbox ECU is programmed. I used the paddies to shift down a gear if I thought it was better to be in a lower gear. With. 17500 miles on the odometer I don't bother anymore!
Plus you should run in the tyres (avoid exceeding 70 mph).
(25-04-2013 01:51pm)Donny Dog Wrote: [ -> ]Plus you should run in the tyres (avoid exceeding 70 mph).

Now that's not going to happen is itWink
Over the years I've generally followed all of this advice when taking delivery of a new car but wonder whether it is really necessary going to these extremes. On the higher performance cars I've owned the advice has been to generally drive it as per normal but avoid using the last 1000/1500 revs until 500/1000 miles are on the clock. I have used a lot of hire cars and I'm pretty sure they don't get any special running-in treatment yet they all seem to go pretty well and are as reliable as any other car.
Tim
hhhmm I suppose its about longevity, hire cars have a short lifespan and usually very regular services and inspections.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's