Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running in
heronb

Running in

Now I realise that you don't need to run in cars these days with the tight tolerances in engine manufacture but I did read somewhere that its a good idea to give the engine a work out to loosen it up and improve fuel economy.

Any thoughts?
24-04-2013 10:44pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Running in

Don't labour the engine, and vary the rpm initially rather than just stay at a constant speed on the Motorway. Diesels will often still be bedding in 10000 miles later!

Giving it a good workout is more likely to shorten the life of your engine, and is sometimes used on race engines that want tighter tolerances, but don't need to live for 100's of thousands of miles.

Don't listen to me listen to the AA they say much the same...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/gen...w-car.html

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-04-2013 11:36pm
heronb

Thanks for the tips, will have to pick a nice twisty road this weekend to give it a gentle work out and see what it can do.
25-04-2013 12:54am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Just take it easy and avoid extremes of both high and low revs for the first 1000. -1500 miles. Remember Evoque doesn't have a remote reading dip stick so watch the oil consumption - Evoque has a high carbon content engine block in the diesel engined cars and this does act a bit like a sponge so you may well ( but not always! ) see a consumption of between 1/2 & 3/4 of a litre of oil in the first couple of thousand miles. I was also warned to avoid heavy braking in the first few weeks of ownership to let them bed in easily.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-04-2013 07:26am
heronb

Thanks Tim, I didn't realise that low revs where a no no and I tend to change gear quite early so will have to watch this. Haven't had too many diesel cars (this is the second) so must remember at the pumps, the anti petrol flap will help as well.
Put a couple of litres of petrol in a D3 once, oops.
25-04-2013 12:25pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It's low RPM in. High gear that isn't good as stem as high revs in a low gear!
Mine is an auto and when it was new I thought it was changing up way too early, but that's the way the gearbox ECU is programmed. I used the paddies to shift down a gear if I thought it was better to be in a lower gear. With. 17500 miles on the odometer I don't bother anymore!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-04-2013 01:15pm
Donny Dog

Plus you should run in the tyres (avoid exceeding 70 mph).
25-04-2013 01:51pm
heronb

(25-04-2013 01:51pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Plus you should run in the tyres (avoid exceeding 70 mph).

Now that's not going to happen is itWink
25-04-2013 02:38pm
timhum

Over the years I've generally followed all of this advice when taking delivery of a new car but wonder whether it is really necessary going to these extremes. On the higher performance cars I've owned the advice has been to generally drive it as per normal but avoid using the last 1000/1500 revs until 500/1000 miles are on the clock. I have used a lot of hire cars and I'm pretty sure they don't get any special running-in treatment yet they all seem to go pretty well and are as reliable as any other car.
Tim
26-04-2013 09:27am
heronb

hhhmm I suppose its about longevity, hire cars have a short lifespan and usually very regular services and inspections.
26-04-2013 04:48pm