babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Shell Fuel vs Supermarket Fuel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Apologies if I am going over old ground, but does anyone have any stats of proof that branded fuel i.e. Shell performs better in the MPG stakes compared to supermarket fuels?

Philskill, I seem to remember, you had some graphs.

I've been made aware that Shell is performing better in back to back comparisons with supermarket fuel, so just wondered if any of you can back this up.

I've got a near 60 litre fill up due and am tempted to give it a go, irrespective of the 5p per litre difference here.
(05-09-2012 09:13pm)Evo-king Wrote: [ -> ]Philskill, I seem to remember, you had some graphs.

Philskill .... Graphs ...... Never ..... Laughing
Hi Evo-King.

Actually filled up tonight, I'm afraid i've rarely used anything but supermarket fuel... Due to the convenience of a supermarket fuel station to home, If you read my Thread in the My Evoque section it has some comments on supermarket fuel and some other brands but not much, and I am abut to post my latest graph of my cars fuel usage. Which has today had the worst deviation between trip and real mpg and the worst mpg for a while too Sad Maybe it's that supermarket fuel Wink

I'd make a comment cjfp, but you wouldn't understand it Laughing
Well, after this weekends little jaunt, 120 miles, I might be able to get a feel for it, I'm sure I've only used supermarket fuel up to now in the Evoque.
Gotta be worth a try, 5p only makes £2.50 difference for a fill.
I'm now running on BP ultra diesel, have heard it's better than Shell V power. It's only my first tank full so no change as yet!
Made the switch as these fuels are much cleaner than the standard/supermarket stuff.
Still use Tesco diesel soup in my van.
(05-09-2012 09:35pm)PhilSkill Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta be worth a try, 5p only makes £2.50 difference for a fill.

IIRC my local Shell garage which is very local is the same price as the Tesco garage.
Up to May I ran exculsively on branded fuel as in both my TDv8 RRS and 2010MY FFRR ran much better on both Shell and BP regular Low Sulpher diesel. I changed to supermarket diesel when the local Sainsbury garage was 3p a litre cheaper than branded. In my Evoque it made no difference to the mpg. I now buy solely on price and at all costs I avoid buying on the motorway, to the extent that I will fuel up on Friday at the big BP (1.419ppl today) just dwn the road from Lookers, then I'll top up at Gaydon on Saturday (Esson 1.429ppl on the 26th Sept) and then will leave the M6 at Lancaster and venture only 1 mile toward the town to top up again at £1.419ppl which will see me to home with plenty in reserve without paying the 10p mark per litre on the M6 and M74 service areas. In my RRS and FFRR I could get from Stirling to Southampton and back to Warwick on one tank full! Not a hope in hell of even getting 3/4 of the journey on a tankful in the Evoque without worries about actually get there
I filled up my previous SLK mercedes petrol car with my first purchase of Shell superunleaded. The tank was virtually empty so it gave me a fairly reliable comparison. My computer average showed an increase from 37 to 44mpg on a tankful so I never went back to supermarket products. My diesel Evoque has only been filled once but will start looking at Shell next fill.
(05-09-2012 10:33pm)The Valeter Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC my local Shell garage which is very local is the same price as the Tesco garage.

I have an Esso nearby, always 1p dearer than supermarket, they follow eachother exactly which seems rigged pricing to me, I have filled up there the odd time but havent noticed any difference.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's