babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Am I being foolish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had my Evoque (Si4) for 6 months now, and whilst it is great and does everything I ask of it, I am struggling with gearbox/engine combination, and like it rather than love it. Contemplating changing for a nearly new RRS (V6 Diesel) - am I mad...will I lose lots of money on the Evoque....what do others think of the RRS, I am new to Land Rover so any comments very much appreciated!
(28-08-2012 01:11pm)timslim Wrote: [ -> ]Had my Evoque (Si4) for 6 months now, and whilst it is great and does everything I ask of it, I am struggling with gearbox/engine combination, and like it rather than love it. Contemplating changing for a nearly new RRS (V6 Diesel) - am I mad...will I lose lots of money on the Evoque....what do others think of the RRS, I am new to Land Rover so any comments very much appreciated!

IMHO good as the Evoque is, the RRS is still in a higher class though it depends what you want out of a car. But if you're looking at engines, then I think the TDV6 in the current RRS is great and from what I gather not much more expensive to run - I could get about 38-40mpg out of mine. Certainly enjoyed owning mine, but the amount I had to fork out annually for the VED (road tax) was a bitter pill to swallow.

If you're thinking of getting rid of your Evoque, I'd do it now rather than in another 6 months time as current residuals are very good due to demand. Take a look on a site like Autotrader to get an idea of how much you might get selling privately.
Thanks for the advice NightFox - I had my eye on an '11 plate TDV6 HSE Luxury, and dealer says it would be 3k to change - which sounds reasonable (RRS is up for 41k, which means 38k for my Evoque) - only issue with this RRS is it has the 6sp not 8sp gearbox, and I worry that it sill wont be that smooth, guess its just a case of trying it!
I am changing back at the minute....back to a TDV6. Gearbox is fine.
I would like to know who your dealer is if he is only charging you 3 k to change!
strangely enough I nearly posted the exact same message last week, although I like the Evoque I'm just finding that the ride is a little bumpy at times and the rear always seems too small (limited what I can buy or transport). Had a RRS HSE TDV8 back in 2008 and had issues with it BUT been told they're lots better now Smile
Had a test drive in a 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE last week and was pretty much as I remembered (although not as quick off the line as the V8 ) it's tempting BUT not sure I want to part with the extra dosh to get into a new one - looking at options for a low mileage 12 plate to see what I need to add to my 2012 Evoque Dynamic (Lux Pack).......
(28-08-2012 04:28pm)defender_uk Wrote: [ -> ]I am changing back at the minute....back to a TDV6. Gearbox is fine.
I would like to know who your dealer is if he is only charging you 3 k to change!

Dealer is Marshalls in Cambridge - but its against a 2011 RRS HSE Lux, with 30k on the clock (ex-LR car)
what mileage is on the RRE?

Mine is also a 2011 ex LR HSE...
Not foolish at all if it means getting into a car you prefer and I agree to an extent re the engine/gearbox in that it isn't perfect but don't believe there is a better combo within the LR range - unless the V8's are significantly better, not tried those.

Personally, the TD/SDV6 in a near 2.5 tonne vehicle is not as nice as the Si4's engine in a far lighter, more nimble vehicle in my experience but then I keep the car in Sport mode and enjoy the nippy performance - especially cornering and general handling. I didn't find the TDV6 a great engine coming from BMW's (like the Si4 not nearly as smooth and refined as those sublime German engine/gearboxes) and the RRS still wallows too much for my tastes and is nowhere near as fun to drive on the tarmac as the RRE. That said, I did prefer the road holding ability of the RRS to my Disco 4.

If, like my Dad, you prefer to waft along sedately with the ability to move along in a straight line on the motorway quite briskly on occasion in an armchair environment with a commanding viewpoint then the RRS/FFRR/Disco 4 are the one's to have.

Equally, if you need the additional off-road prowess. Otherwise, for me, the RRE is the better car; more fun on the road and equally as luxurious to me. If space is an issue then the FFRR or Disco 4 are better than the RRS in my opinion.

I guess the RRS looks ok but other than that holds no appeal to me whatsoever since albeit I'd prefer it to any of its competition from other Marque's, I'd take a Disco 4 over the RRS any day of the week. Or a FFRR if I wanted the extra luxury. But I prefer the RRE to all of them at the moment as it suits my needs and driving preferences better - just wish it had a BMW engine and gearbox!
RRS's biggest drawback is the unreasonable amount of weight it is hampered with - 2.8 tonnes. The RRS's boot isn't that vast either. Unfortuantely the best engine that LR put into the RRS is no longer available - the 3.6TDv6 and the youngest one of those you will find will be a 2101MY car
The RRS will be slower than the Si4 and it is slower than I would like. The higher versions of the Macan are going to wipe the floor with it.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's