Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I being foolish?
timslim

Am I being foolish?

Had my Evoque (Si4) for 6 months now, and whilst it is great and does everything I ask of it, I am struggling with gearbox/engine combination, and like it rather than love it. Contemplating changing for a nearly new RRS (V6 Diesel) - am I mad...will I lose lots of money on the Evoque....what do others think of the RRS, I am new to Land Rover so any comments very much appreciated!

Dynamic Si4 Santorini Black, with Ebony interior. Collected 24th March Smile
28-08-2012 01:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightFox

RE: Am I being foolish?

(28-08-2012 01:11pm)timslim Wrote:  Had my Evoque (Si4) for 6 months now, and whilst it is great and does everything I ask of it, I am struggling with gearbox/engine combination, and like it rather than love it. Contemplating changing for a nearly new RRS (V6 Diesel) - am I mad...will I lose lots of money on the Evoque....what do others think of the RRS, I am new to Land Rover so any comments very much appreciated!

IMHO good as the Evoque is, the RRS is still in a higher class though it depends what you want out of a car. But if you're looking at engines, then I think the TDV6 in the current RRS is great and from what I gather not much more expensive to run - I could get about 38-40mpg out of mine. Certainly enjoyed owning mine, but the amount I had to fork out annually for the VED (road tax) was a bitter pill to swallow.

If you're thinking of getting rid of your Evoque, I'd do it now rather than in another 6 months time as current residuals are very good due to demand. Take a look on a site like Autotrader to get an idea of how much you might get selling privately.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 01:26pm by NightFox.)
28-08-2012 01:24pm
timslim

Thanks for the advice NightFox - I had my eye on an '11 plate TDV6 HSE Luxury, and dealer says it would be 3k to change - which sounds reasonable (RRS is up for 41k, which means 38k for my Evoque) - only issue with this RRS is it has the 6sp not 8sp gearbox, and I worry that it sill wont be that smooth, guess its just a case of trying it!

28-08-2012 01:49pm
defender_uk

I am changing back at the minute....back to a TDV6. Gearbox is fine.
I would like to know who your dealer is if he is only charging you 3 k to change!

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
28-08-2012 04:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colski1961

strangely enough I nearly posted the exact same message last week, although I like the Evoque I'm just finding that the ride is a little bumpy at times and the rear always seems too small (limited what I can buy or transport). Had a RRS HSE TDV8 back in 2008 and had issues with it BUT been told they're lots better now Smile
Had a test drive in a 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE last week and was pretty much as I remembered (although not as quick off the line as the V8 ) it's tempting BUT not sure I want to part with the extra dosh to get into a new one - looking at options for a low mileage 12 plate to see what I need to add to my 2012 Evoque Dynamic (Lux Pack).......

2012 62 Porsche Cayenne Diesel - Black (eveyday use)
2012 61 Porsche Cayman R PDK - Peridot Very Happy (for weekend joy)
2011 Landlegend Compact Tractor (for doing tractory types of things)

Gone :
2012 (1st March) Evoque S4D Lux pack - Firenze Red & Verve interior - traded Nov 12 - sorry folks Sad
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 04:39pm by colski1961.)
28-08-2012 04:38pm
timslim

(28-08-2012 04:28pm)defender_uk Wrote:  I am changing back at the minute....back to a TDV6. Gearbox is fine.
I would like to know who your dealer is if he is only charging you 3 k to change!

Dealer is Marshalls in Cambridge - but its against a 2011 RRS HSE Lux, with 30k on the clock (ex-LR car)

28-08-2012 04:54pm
defender_uk

what mileage is on the RRE?

Mine is also a 2011 ex LR HSE...

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
28-08-2012 07:55pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

Not foolish at all if it means getting into a car you prefer and I agree to an extent re the engine/gearbox in that it isn't perfect but don't believe there is a better combo within the LR range - unless the V8's are significantly better, not tried those.

Personally, the TD/SDV6 in a near 2.5 tonne vehicle is not as nice as the Si4's engine in a far lighter, more nimble vehicle in my experience but then I keep the car in Sport mode and enjoy the nippy performance - especially cornering and general handling. I didn't find the TDV6 a great engine coming from BMW's (like the Si4 not nearly as smooth and refined as those sublime German engine/gearboxes) and the RRS still wallows too much for my tastes and is nowhere near as fun to drive on the tarmac as the RRE. That said, I did prefer the road holding ability of the RRS to my Disco 4.

If, like my Dad, you prefer to waft along sedately with the ability to move along in a straight line on the motorway quite briskly on occasion in an armchair environment with a commanding viewpoint then the RRS/FFRR/Disco 4 are the one's to have.

Equally, if you need the additional off-road prowess. Otherwise, for me, the RRE is the better car; more fun on the road and equally as luxurious to me. If space is an issue then the FFRR or Disco 4 are better than the RRS in my opinion.

I guess the RRS looks ok but other than that holds no appeal to me whatsoever since albeit I'd prefer it to any of its competition from other Marque's, I'd take a Disco 4 over the RRS any day of the week. Or a FFRR if I wanted the extra luxury. But I prefer the RRE to all of them at the moment as it suits my needs and driving preferences better - just wish it had a BMW engine and gearbox!

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
28-08-2012 09:22pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RRS's biggest drawback is the unreasonable amount of weight it is hampered with - 2.8 tonnes. The RRS's boot isn't that vast either. Unfortuantely the best engine that LR put into the RRS is no longer available - the 3.6TDv6 and the youngest one of those you will find will be a 2101MY car

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-08-2012 09:47pm
mark_n

The RRS will be slower than the Si4 and it is slower than I would like. The higher versions of the Macan are going to wipe the floor with it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
28-08-2012 10:26pm