babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Cracked windscreen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have just noticed I have large stone chip in the windscreen with a small crack also appearing. I guess it will need a new screen, never had to change one before in any of my cars, who are the best fitters, anything I need to look out for?
Assuming you will use your insurance then I would go to LR because of the heating element.
Will I be able to state that I want to go to LR?
Hopefully, but there's only one way to find out - F I G H T !!
Just curious how much it cost anyways?

This make me wonder if LR has bug deflector available for evoque?

I think all cars should come with mud flaps aa standard to avoid spinning rocks on windshields, especially the big tyre SUVs. In my old cars it was a recurrent problem till I got the hood deflectors. Solid vinyl only protects windshield, while the bra is good for whole front plus it gives a little sporty touch.

Look forward to have one. Let me know if anyone come accross this. Thx
Your dealer will tell you to go to whoever your insurer recommends/ approves. The dealerships don't usually fit screens themselves they call in a mobile technician from one of the big replacement screen companies. The problem with it being an Evqoue is that there may not be many replacement screens in the replacement system.
I had a large stone chip in the screen of my last RRS and was a bit surprised that the replacement company DIDN"T want to replace the screen as the car was less than a year old they used a repair kit and filler. They may tell you the same thing, even for quite a large bit of damage.
If you do get offered a full replacement then make sure that they remove the old screen properly with the special tool required, failing to do this can damage the paintwork around the screen surround where they have to cut the screen out of the old glue. Also you have to tell them when you book the car in if you have any optional sensors - auto wipers, auto headlights etc and if the screen is heated and if it is one of the special UV reflective screens otherwise you won't get the right one as replacement. Modern car screens are also a critical part of the the body strength so don't be tempted to go to some backstreet place that does cheap replacements, it will be expensive to get it done properly and even if you have screen cover on your insurance you could well loose part of your NCD and you will loose your excess. If they offer to do a bonding repair try it, as usually they are free and if it doesn't work then you go through the process of a replacement screen. One thing to check after either the bonding or a replacement is that your heated front screen still works - even though the bonding on my RRS was across 3 of the fine elements in the screen i was surprised that there were no malfunctioning areas when I tested it.
Tim, many thanks as usual for your in depth knowledge. I will ask for the repair first. Just checking my insurance it fits the criteria in terms of diameter size and location, and also I note the chip is just outside the heating elements.
Much better to go to someone like Autoglass than the dealer who will only sub it out to the cheapest contractor. The dealers may be good a giving you coffee and a large bill but I expect everything in between is pretty useless.
The clip has to be more then 2inchs from any edge & not along the bottom black area. A repair can be done as long as the clip is larger than a pin head & smaller than a pea.

I found this out the hard way. I have a very small clip under the wiper blade, which can't be repaired Crying
(14-04-2012 09:39pm)doug Wrote: [ -> ]The clip has to be more then 2inchs from any edge & not along the bottom black area. A repair can be done as long as the clip is larger than a pin head & smaller than a pea.

I found this out the hard way. I have a very small clip under the wiper blade, which can't be repaired Crying

I'd have thought a substantial crack would also have made a repair difficult or inadvisable. As regards the longer term, when it comes to the MOT, it also depends whereabouts any chip is. You don't want to saddle yourself with a repair now and have a potential MOT failure down the road, (whether it's you doing the MOT or someone you're selling it to worrying about having the problem in due course), when you've got no come-back on the insurance).

As regards 'no claims', if the insurance pays only for a repair your no-claims is usually unaffected.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's