babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Cracked windscreen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Got a cracked windscreen whilst driving up M4 on Thursday morning. Not such a good end to a lovely week in Cornwall. Having just read Ali's 'disaster' thread I suppose I have to be grateful that the stone hit the windscreen and not the pano roof.

On initial glance chip/crack looked repairable (could cover it with 5p coin) and the man sent to inspect (via insurance company) had a go and well wouldn't you know -oops, it's got bigger (cracks radiating from 3 sides). As it's in the 'a zone' (drivers vision area, half way between top and bottom and 20cm in from right edge) repair couldn't continue and proceedure was abandonned.

So a new screen required. Having never had a screen replaced before is there anything I need to watch for whilst they're doing it? LR dealer was only as helpful as far as to say 'make sure it's a LR screen', when I asked for advice. Am I right in assuming that the numbers printed on the screen bottom left corner which say 'Range Rover' followed underneath by 'Saint Goban Sekurit' then a few numbers will be the same on the new screen? How else will I know it's the right one for a car that's got auto lights and auto wipers, the wavy lines for the heated screen I hope I'll be able to spot before they place it so long as I get close enough! Don't want them glueing it in only to find extras I specced no longer work.
Hi, I had exactly the same questions. The guy from Auto Windscreens was really helpful checked all the numbers before fitting, and was really careful to cover all the body work and interior with special pads and protective sheets. He also made sure that auto lights/ wipers and heated screen worked before he left.
(08-09-2012 09:06pm)toothfairy Wrote: [ -> ]Got a cracked windscreen whilst driving up M4 on Thursday morning. Not such a good end to a lovely week in Cornwall. Having just read Ali's 'disaster' thread I suppose I have to be grateful that the stone hit the windscreen and not the pano roof.

On initial glance chip/crack looked repairable (could cover it with 5p coin) and the man sent to inspect (via insurance company) had a go and well wouldn't you know -oops, it's got bigger (cracks radiating from 3 sides). As it's in the 'a zone' (drivers vision area, half way between top and bottom and 20cm in from right edge) repair couldn't continue and proceedure was abandonned.

So a new screen required. Having never had a screen replaced before is there anything I need to watch for whilst they're doing it? LR dealer was only as helpful as far as to say 'make sure it's a LR screen', when I asked for advice. Am I right in assuming that the numbers printed on the screen bottom left corner which say 'Range Rover' followed underneath by 'Saint Goban Sekurit' then a few numbers will be the same on the new screen? How else will I know it's the right one for a car that's got auto lights and auto wipers, the wavy lines for the heated screen I hope I'll be able to spot before they place it so long as I get close enough! Don't want them glueing it in only to find extras I specced no longer work.

Needed a new screen on my FL2 last year, heated, dipping mirror, auto wipe etc. etc. I had LR insurance, one phone call to LR insurance, phone back from Autoglass within the hour to fix date, guy turned up on specified day and hour, I asked a few questions, answers convinced me he knew what he was doing - first class job. I live in a remote area, nearest LR dealer is 125 miles away, all I can say is first rate service from Autoglass coming out to do the job on an island and doing it well. No issues with new screen, no damage to paintwork, interior, car left spotless, courteous and professional service.
Thanks guys that's reassuring to know. A bit unnerving having to trust your 3 month old 'pride & joy' to some bloke you've just met 5 mins previously. Given that I do upwards of 18K miles a year some would say I've been lucky to escape having a new screen before now.
I had a stone chip repaired on my front screen by Autoglass a couple of months back and I am not that impressed because if you run your finger over the repair it feels rough and it has marked the wiper blade!
(14-04-2012 09:39pm)doug Wrote: [ -> ]The clip has to be more then 2inchs from any edge & not along the bottom black area. A repair can be done as long as the clip is larger than a pin head & smaller than a pea.

I found this out the hard way. I have a very small clip under the wiper blade, which can't be repaired Crying

The clip has to be more then 2inchs from any edge & not along the bottom black area. A repair can be done as long as the clip is larger than a pin head & smaller than a pea.

A couple of months ago I had a chip/crack about 2 inches from edge of the screen and auto windscreens came out and said that if the area effected was less than 2 inches from the edge and the area affected was no larger than a 10p coin, then they would repair this with the resin and UV laminate cure.

Perfect job and cost £10

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
(09-09-2012 07:39pm)cutter7 Wrote: [ -> ]The clip has to be more then 2inchs from any edge & not along the bottom black area. A repair can be done as long as the clip is larger than a pin head & smaller than a pea.

A couple of months ago I had a chip/crack about 2 inches from edge of the screen and auto windscreens came out and said that if the area effected was less than 2 inches from the edge and the area affected was no larger than a 10p coin, then they would repair this with the resin and UV laminate cure.

Perfect job and cost £10

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Was your clip in a black area? which again I was told by there call centre that no repair could be done. She even double checked this with her manager.
Looks like I need to call round to one of there drive in centres to have it looked over
(09-09-2012 09:30pm)doug Wrote: [ -> ]Was your clip in a black area? which again I was told by there call centre that no repair could be done. She even double checked this with her manager.
Looks like I need to call round to one of there drive in centres to have it looked over

My chip was above the black shaded part of the screen and about an inch above the mesh pattern that runs along the bottom of the screen on the corner of the drivers side.

The technician did say that while he was doing the repair,that the crack could get worse by applying the jig that sits over the damaged area to cure the resin into the laminate, and if so a new screen would be needed but it worked perfectly.

After the repair was done it's impossible to see where the crack was.
(10-09-2012 07:37am)cutter7 Wrote: [ -> ]My chip was above the black shaded part of the screen and about an inch above the mesh pattern that runs along the bottom of the screen on the corner of the drivers side.

The technician did say that while he was doing the repair,that the crack could get worse by applying the jig that sits over the damaged area to cure the resin into the laminate, and if so a new screen would be needed but it worked perfectly.

After the repair was done it's impossible to see where the crack was.
Good to know, and encouraging. I'd always want to stick with the original windscreen wherever possible.
Sticking with the original screen is always preferable, too many things can be damaged removing a broken screen and replacing it. The chip repair that was done on my RRS was right in my line of vision but it was never a problem and in a car only 11 months old was the preferable route to replacement
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's