babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Misty lenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 RRS's had them, 2 FFRR's had them and now my RRE follows the family trait and has condensation inside both rear lamp units.........................
Now FFRR's have been in production for 10 years, RRS for 7 years and LR still don't have a cure. Over on Martin's other forums there are "fixes" such as drilling tiny holes in the units but then you run the risk of them filling up with rain water unless you do it from the back/ inside the bodywork.
I never seem to see other marques with misty light lenses so how come LR gets it wrong with every new car it launches? It is infuriating to see those lovely petal lights all misted up.
I've seen this across a number of marques, including on my own cars, so I don't htink it's a unique problem to land rover.
The rre might be more suceptible to it though as I remember reading a specific passage about the lights misting up and a statement saying it will not impact or impede the light output or beam pattern.
It doesn't impact on anything just that it looks awful on a premium priced car
The brighter the lights the more heat. Moisture will be drawn in like under a vacuum as it cools. More heat means more time to pull in moisture.
Sad
Hmmm, Hubby has/had this problem on his new RRS, I could have sworn he said that they were going to replace the whole unit?

Will double check.....

Ali.
Its very common and dpends a bit on the size (internally) of the headlights.
What happens is that during use the inside air warms up due to the lamps and warm air sucks up water.
When you park your car and it gets cold outside the air in the light cools of and cant hold much less water. If it reaches dewpoint water will form on the coldest places, like the windows in your house can condensate.

The bigger the inside of the housing, the more air is inside and hence the qty of water in it.

Is it something to worry about? Not if the design is prepared for this, meaning there will be air holes and water outlet holes. The same you find in the bottom of your car doors Smile

Its just not a pretty sight.
Reference URL's