babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Can any Evoque Owners comment on the Meridian stereo system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm a slight audiophile and I was curious if any new owners could comment on their meridian stereo system (particularly the 825w upgrade if you have it).

Such as:
Interface/menu operating system?
Sound presets?
Acoustics or music playing with background noise at various speeds?
Frequency response or distortion?
Sound quality based on where you are in the vehicle (front or rear)?
iPhone/iPod interface?
Uploading music/films - various formats and track display interface?
Anyone tried messing with some tracks to check out the bass response, and can you set parameters to the sub woofer response?
Is their much of a front stage to the sound set-up (i.e. If applicable does the singer sound like they are coming from the front centre with sound filing in from the rear?
Has anyone really pumped up the volume on a track to check out all over quality (say on a flat preset level)?

Thanks

Alex
Haven't a clue what most of your questions mean.
Simple - It's brilliant, far better than the HK Logic7 system I had in the FFRR and RRS

It's even better when I turn up my hearing aid.................
I've tested the normal 380W system, here are some thoughts:
- General frequency response is very good. Maybe a little too bright in the high tones, and I felt I needed to add some more bass to make it sound completely natural, but I prefer this to a system that has an unnaturally boosted bass response by default. It was easy to correct with the equalizer.
- Couldn't notice any distortion unless I cranked it up to painful levels (50 and up in the Evoque's scale).
- The controls were quite limited. Just front-back, left-right and a basic 3-way equalizer. Maybe this is better in the upgraded system.
- I had the feeling the sound system is set up a bit too "spacious". With my Lexus Mark Levinson system I feel more connected and surrounded by the music. But that system has full 7.1 surround which is only available on the premium Meridian system afaik.
- I think the interface is a bit disappointing, with too many big buttons drowning the actual content like track titles, radio presets, etc. It feels cluttered and I think I'll be using the central drivers screen to read this content and the steering wheel buttons to take control most of the time.
- I still think the volume button is way too small, a couple of times I messed with the airco temperature when I wanted to control the volume.
- Playing music from external sources was great. From a USB key packed with many different file types, it quickly picks out the files it can read, even from subdirectories, and reads them as one long playlist in which you can easily go forward / backward. Didn't try the iPod connection.

In the end I prefer the Evoque's basic system to the upgraded Mark Levinson of my Lexus. I didn't feel the need to check out the upgraded system, it's an expensive upgrade in the EU and I didn't think it could be justified given the high quality of the basic system.
I'm no audiophile, but it's brilliant. Sound is completely distortion free. Bass gets in your bones. With 17 speakers, you simply cannot tell where the sound is coming from - it's truly surround sound.
Not very scientific, and I wouldn't be able to begin to answer your questons, but in basically it's superb. Better than Harmon Kardon in my RRS as you would expect.
ANT
I like British High-End, my home system is Audiolab and Spendor 75/1 A. I think I am an audiophile and I share the Meridian philosophy. Here is a link with more information:

http://212.188.179.212/datasheets/automo...-A4-ds.pdf

I checked the big Meridian system last weekend.: it is phantastic. BUT - when I read your questions, I have some doubts whether you will be happy with the system, because some of your questions do not correspond with the Meridian philosophy. The sound of the system is absolutely natural and brutally honest. The source you are using ist the key for the sound: FM radio with compression sounds as horrible as is is, Ipod sounds limited as it is. A well produced CD sounds brilliant. Here are reference CDS (both oop): Procol Harum - The long Goodby and Händels Young Messiah - A Soulful Celebration.
The sound system is excellent, I have been blasting out U2 tunes all day at a volume of 27 and it's brilliant, distortion free, it's a great system and i haven't really played around with it yet.
I cant wait to try out my U2 Live DVD!
Kwacka try it at volume 67............................. ear damagingly loud but distortion free!
For those audio buffs out there.
If I download my i-tunes to my ipod for permanant use in the car, what settings would you suggest to transfer the best quality music replay?

I buy all my music from Itunes so I guess they download as CD quality?
Any assistance would be useful.
Cheers
i buy a lot of music in full original quality digital files i.e. Wav and Aiff does anyone know if these file formats can be played or is it just limited to mp3?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's