Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
my pure order without nav
ED209

RE: my pure order without nav

Looks like thats a none uk spec, not seen a head unit like that on the RR site.
07-08-2011 07:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LP

Yep - All models in the UK come with the 8 inch touch screen.
07-08-2011 07:19pm
vinny

Re the retro fitting of privacy glass,I also thought I would retro fit the tints and save myself £250+.This wasnt advisable according to my dealer because the heated elements in the rear screen and the radio antenna built into the side windows (coupe) would effect the adhesion of the film because the wires are quite pronounced so the surface of the glass isnt totally smooth and flat.
When I checked with my local tinter he told me that over time the film over the wires would seperate from the surface of the glass and start to look shabby.Have never had aftermarket tints so not sure about this??
Ordered the factory fitted privacy glass to be on the safe side as a £250 saving isnt much on the grand scheme of things.

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
07-08-2011 07:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Vinny, what you were told is true - the factory fitted isn't film, it's tinted glass with the antennae stuck on top and it is dead easy to tell any LR/RR that has aftermarket because it looks cheap and nasty where it doesn't stick to the antenna elements

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 08:06pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-08-2011 08:04pm
mark_n

The great problem with built-in SatNavs is the function they provide is frozen in time with little opportunity for functional upgrades. I have a Mercedes SL55 AMG which is a great car but the SatNav is ancient. A £300 TomTom runs rings around it. That said, anyone buying an Evoque in the future will expect to find SatNav.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
07-08-2011 08:42pm
Ezandania

Mark...i agree. Alternatively, you could also opt to get an iPad/iPhone holder, and use your iOS devices as your GPS/SatNav system...

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
07-08-2011 09:24pm
XFullFatTim

Ezandania, I already do in my Defender - there are several ipad and iphone mounts now available online. Mounting one in the 90 is esy as it doesn't have a dashboard as such so no drilling and screwing is necessary to mount it but in any other car with a padded dash you would have to make holes.
[Image: DSCF3066.jpg]
[Image: DSCF3065.jpg]
[Image: DSCF3063.jpg]

The other great thing is the iPad can transfer MP3 files by cable or wireless to the Parrot radio I have in the 90 as well so i can use it as a music player while getting satnav and UK OS maps on the screen

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-08-2011 09:38pm
andyuk

I personally don't feel a Sat Nav is a must most people I know prefer to use their own Tom Tom or IPhone Sat Nav which tend to be much better with regular updates all for well under £100. Save yourself £1400!

I currently have Navigon on IPhone/IPad cost me £15 & it is much better & easier to use than any inbuilt car satnav I have ever used.

In the future I predict most people will have access to sat Nav on their phones so it won't be needed to have a built in one!

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 11:28pm by andyuk.)
07-08-2011 11:26pm
XFullFatTim

The problem with IPad and iPhone is that they use GPS(A) and once you loose 3g they can get lost easily and that is a problem up here 450 miles north of London where 3g signals are only available in important towns and not at all out in the wilds. Proper GPS gives a good signal everywhere until you get under trees or close to tall buildings. Built in GPS also will continue to route by dead reckoning using it's built in electronic compass and the signals from the transmission pickup for speed input even when you loose the satellite signals.

08-08-2011 12:30am
J77

I also have gone without sat nav, I personally don't trust them. Much prefer the old fashioned way never let me down yet and if I need an update it's just a few quid from the petrol station.IMO sat nav has replaced common sense few drivers of large vehicles have got themselves into tricky situations, ignoring signs that say "unsuitable for large vehicles" just because their sat nav told them that was the right way to go.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
08-08-2011 05:10pm