Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
attempted theft
gunner

attempted theft

A fairly professional attempt at 4am this morning to break into my evoque - parked on street and nothing inside to be removed and the guy waited for the alarm to stop and returned to poke around. Not a lout - white male mid twenties in a check shirt looking serious and competent. Working on something under the steering wheel column. I can only think he intended to steal the car. The police came along fairly quickly and said there had been a spate of thefts of valuable cars in the area (South London) Anyone had any attempted breakins? Are there concerns on the theft prevention system - recommended security enhancements?

Indus Silver Dynamic Si4 Coupe
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 08:17am by gunner.)
30-08-2013 08:12am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
funguf

RE: attempted theft

Can modern cars be started by routing wires under the steering wheel? Pretty sure screwdriver in the ignition doesn't work anymore...more so since there is a start/stop button..

Hope they catch the guy

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
30-08-2013 09:18am
Trapdoor

Where is the diagnostic port on the Evoque?

He could have been attempting to clone a key off the system, as can be done on BMW and Audi.

Did he break the window to open the door? Was the car double locked or just single locked? If double, I can't understand how he got the door open.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
30-08-2013 09:47am
gunner

(30-08-2013 09:47am)Trapdoor Wrote:  Where is the diagnostic port on the Evoque?

He could have been attempting to clone a key off the system, as can be done on BMW and Audi.

Did he break the window to open the door? Was the car double locked or just single locked? If double, I can't understand how he got the door open.

It was double locked and he was trying to hack the diagnostic system (just to the lower right of the steering wheel column) to start the car using some gizmo ; according to the police expert that turned up. Entrance was by leaning in through the broken window -Its going off to the dealers via landrover assist who were very helpful - not clear that it is safe to drive and no way it remains outside for another night ... the dealers will look at it.

There is a gang active that are after perfomance cars locally - didn't think the evoque qualified but apparently the si4 does

(This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 11:29am by gunner.)
30-08-2013 11:21am
Trapdoor

Trouble is, the Evoque is a desirable car.

I had considered getting clear anti-penetration window film applied to mine - I had a reasonable quote from Pentagon but never followed it up. That would stop em if there IS a working hack on the Evoque - and you can be pretty much assured there is someone working on one if not.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
30-08-2013 11:31am
gunner

(30-08-2013 11:31am)Trapdoor Wrote:  Trouble is, the Evoque is a desirable car.

I had considered getting clear anti-penetration window film applied to mine - I had a reasonable quote from Pentagon but never followed it up. That would stop em if there IS a working hack on the Evoque - and you can be pretty much assured there is someone working on one if not.

Many thanks for the tip - will discuss with the dealer Smile

30-08-2013 12:24pm
PhilB

We have heard about how high tech theivery is becoming.
The BMW saga where they can programme a new key by accessing the port with a laptop or some other gizmo.
The best way to deter them in the first place is go a bit retro and get a Disklok.
A big visual deterrent that requires an angle grinder to get it off (if they can)
Bulky but I used to pop it into its cover and drop it into the footwell behind the driver's seat.
Keep the key separate for it and its secure.
Sometimes the old ways are still valid and the bad guys don't usually have a battery flavoured angle grinder to hand!

Laughing

Prestige SD4 5 door manual, Firenze, vibe, style 4, adaptive dynamics, privacy, Hybrid tv, spare wheel, grey oak wood finisher, ebony headliner.
30-08-2013 01:53pm
gunner

(30-08-2013 01:53pm)PhilB Wrote:  We have heard about how high tech theivery is becoming.
The BMW saga where they can programme a new key by accessing the port with a laptop or some other gizmo.
The best way to deter them in the first place is go a bit retro and get a Disklok.
A big visual deterrent that requires an angle grinder to get it off (if they can)
Bulky but I used to pop it into its cover and drop it into the footwell behind the driver's seat.
Keep the key separate for it and its secure.
Sometimes the old ways are still valid and the bad guys don't usually have a battery flavoured angle grinder to hand!

Laughing

Thanks for that - I need to something to improve security otherwise it must be only a matter of time before they return and have another go Sad. My dealer has not heard of any other incidents. I posted this in case anyone else had. I would guess they would only go for the petrol Si4 and there don't seem to be so many of those. But if someone inside LR has flogged off access details to the online diagnostics to allow someone hack in and to start the engine then that is really worrying.

30-08-2013 04:55pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I had an attempted break in 2 weeks ago by thieves looking for the car keys to my car - they didn't get beyond my greenhouse that is built on the back of the house as I think they triggered my silent but monitored alarm system and triggered of a very bright strobe light in the greenhouse and another in the hall and scarpered.

(30-08-2013 09:18am)funguf Wrote:  Can modern cars be started by routing wires under the steering wheel? Pretty sure screwdriver in the ignition doesn't work anymore...more so since there is a start/stop button..

Hope they catch the guy

Ummmm Evoque doesn't have an ignition barrel...... At least mine didn't the last time I looked

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 05:12pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-08-2013 05:03pm
gunner

(30-08-2013 05:03pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I had an attempted break in 2 weeks ago by thieves looking for the car keys to my car - they didn't get beyond my greenhouse that is built on the back of the house as I think they triggered my silent but monitored alarm system and triggered of a very bright strobe light in the greenhouse and another in the hall and scarpered.

Ummmm Evoque doesn't have an ignition barrel...... At least mine didn't the last time I looked

Sorry to hear about the break-in! Crime business must be booming. Having trouble coming up with a decent security system - disklok lasts 360 seconds and not convinced that film will add more than that.

(This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 10:07pm by gunner.)
30-08-2013 10:06pm