Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Xenon Headlights
Jeroma

RE: Xenon Headlights

(01-05-2015 05:16pm)pacemaker1000 Wrote:  Resurrecting this thread in case some are still monitoring
Using oem Xenons would something like this get around the can bus problem by inserting between the oem ballast and harness?
Or is it current draw that triggers a failure?

http://britelightleds.co.uk/index.php?ro...uct_id=334
-------------------------------------------
Unfortunately there is some kind of overlap concerning the same subject.
Some time ago I posted my experience when I replaced the complete Halogen light units by Original LR Xenon units.
Just removed the Halogen and fitted the Xenon's.
The only problem I had was extracting the units as they the lower lips were stuck under the bumper edge.
All lights worked perfectly at first attempt and no warning was triggered.
In the other thread I posted a picture of the light pattern at night

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
07-05-2015 08:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aeromac

I think it's the current draw that's the problem.

I fitted OEM xenons that initially seemed to work fine on my 2015 pure.
But after some testing they proved temperamental.

Usually they were fine, but sometimes either one (or both of them) would fail.
It was too unreliable so I replaced the ballast with a non OEM canbus type and they've worked 100% since.
My major problem was getting the ballast to somewhere in the very tight light/bumper area.

I suspect that a simple coding change would sort this but unfortunately we don't have any options for the Evoque.
08-05-2015 08:39pm
Jeroma

(08-05-2015 08:39pm)Aeromac Wrote:  I think it's the current draw that's the problem.

I fitted OEM xenons that initially seemed to work fine on my 2015 pure.
But after some testing they proved temperamental.

Usually they were fine, but sometimes either one (or both of them) would fail.
It was too unreliable so I replaced the ballast with a non OEM canbus type and they've worked 100% since.
My major problem was getting the ballast to somewhere in the very tight light/bumper area.

I suspect that a simple coding change would sort this but unfortunately we don't have any options for the Evoque.
------------------------------------------------
In general Xenon lights draw around 50% less current than Halogen lights. But a correct ballast is the prime feature to operate the lights.
It's purpose is to generate the high tension to ignite the gas and after that to stabilize the current to keep the light going. Also notice that the lens for Xenos is different as the high light output has to be distributed in a different way.
At start the light goes very bright and then dims to normal output. I thinl the best is to find a complete original Xenon unit for conversion. They should give no problems.
As far as I understand the canbus itself has no influence on the light itself, it's just a gate to communicate with the ECU concerned.
But I'm not " THE " expert

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
10-05-2015 11:51am
bangsters

I bought a pair from ebay that i never got to install and test. If anyone is interested let me know. I will also throw in a 3rd piece, one that had some broken tabs when delivered.

The pair I have has no broken tabs, and xenon with signature drls.

I'm in NJ so if anyone wants it let me know.

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
02-06-2015 06:59pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jim NI

New here after buying 2013 Evoque, long time member on Freelander 2 forum and have recently done this conversion on my 2011 FL2. After reading through 15 pages here and noticing that numerous members have tried this and have a problem with lamp switching off after a short period I am suprised that CCF has never been mentioned once. Retrofitting sig strip HIDS to a FL2 will result in lamp flicker which is cured by updating CCF. In other words you need to tell the BCM that HIDS are fitted and not Halogens. I plan on doing this mod in near future and will edit CCF and confirm if all works as expected.
13-06-2015 10:23pm
Aeromac

Nail on the head re the ccf, but how to do that on the RRE?
13-06-2015 10:36pm
Jim NI

(13-06-2015 10:36pm)Aeromac Wrote:  Nail on the head re the ccf, but how to do that on the RRE?
I'll change mine using my IID BT tool, if you don't have a suitable diagnostics tool then find a garage with Autologic or LR Dealer can do it although I would expect you will need to tell dealer tech where to find setting Smile
13-06-2015 10:53pm
Aeromac

Had looked at the IID BT ok but it seemed to have limited CCF editing capabilities on the Evoque.
Their functionality chart listed just the audio control module (ACM) and body control modules (BCM), which made me think that this route was a dead end.
But if as you point out from the FL2, the BCM allows the modification of the Xenon CCF then I'd say you've probably solved this retrofit issue.

Let me know how you get on, as I'd be interested in re-fitting my OEM ballasts.
14-06-2015 02:22pm
Jim NI

Aeromac - IID BT is still in development for RRE same as for FL2 however my experiences with the guys at GAP when retrofitting things like electric leather, premium audio Sig HIDs etc to FL2 was great. I tell them what I want to do, they add it to software, update my tool and it's done. Will certainly let you know how I get on with this and other items on wish list such as TV, Camera etc. just starting to poke around RRE so determined to find out what's possible.
14-06-2015 02:36pm
Aeromac

Jim, sounds like a really good bit of kit with great back up...damn it. Keep us posted on the CCF files
15-06-2015 08:29pm