Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worrying Water Trap
speary

RE: Worrying Water Trap

(15-10-2013 09:04am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Took a swab of the offending brown lines, and did an Iron-X test, unsurprisingly they immediately went purple, showing iron content.

I had the tailgate re-aligned last year, think this may be related...

You can see where I took the swabs.

Will be on my service List of items...

Hells bells. That's worrying. It might be worth popping the trim off for a look behind. I think it is only attached with 1 clip. I am going to insert some sort of plastic wedge under my trim to leave a permanent gap so the water can drain away

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
15-10-2013 12:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I may have a go and remove the cover, not sure I want to go too far as to not affect the Warranty, if I do i'll be sure to get some Photo's.

I guess there's no sign of any brown staining around the base of the rubber on yours speary, just dirt and water?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-10-2013 02:08pm
doug

That's not good news. Something is rusting away, lets hope it's just a spare metal clip or screw floating around under the plastic cover. It's interesting that you had the boot lid adjusted by the dealer, I don't know that work is done for this realignment, but it could be that they have used bare steel washers.

I did check mine yesterday after it was washed & I know mine is Grey, but I've not got any staining or even any dirt around that area.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2013 02:51pm by doug.)
15-10-2013 02:32pm
PhilSkill

Had a quick look, but it's more than 1 clip, as the other end goes under another section which doesn't have any obvious fixings, so since it's under warranty i'll leave it for them to look at in a few weeks. Only danger is they'll clean the rust up and say it's was something simple, but at least i'll have it recorded it was rusting while under warranty.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
15-10-2013 06:32pm
speary

(15-10-2013 02:08pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I may have a go and remove the cover, not sure I want to go too far as to not affect the Warranty, if I do i'll be sure to get some Photo's.

I guess there's no sign of any brown staining around the base of the rubber on yours speary, just dirt and water?

No staining or dirt. Having said that I am a bit anal about cleaning it

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
15-10-2013 06:46pm
PhilSkill

Mines gone in today, showed the mechanic, both sides were full of water so it flooded out in front of him when I pushed the rubber, let's hope they can find why it's doing it, and what's rusting behind there and hopefully do something about it, the trim between the 2 sides is loose 1 side too, which they have in stock to replace. They've allowed 2 days so they can have a good look at it.

04-11-2013 12:59pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I wonder if this has anything to do with the panoramic roof and the channels each side of it not draining properly

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-11-2013 04:12pm
PhilSkill

It looks like water off the roof is managing to get behind these seals and then get trapped inside. They seal against the back of the glass... or not in my case.

04-11-2013 04:27pm
jjgray

More basic problem: has anyone left the tailgate open for a few minutes in heavy rain - it collects like a baby bath where the numbe plate sits and soaks you when you shut the lid Smile
07-11-2013 10:56pm
doug

Phil,
What's your dealer doing or not doing about this & where was the rust mark coming from?

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
07-11-2013 11:09pm