Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Width restrictions
Tosh

Width restrictions

In their infinite "serve the public" wisdom, one of my regular routes is being narrowed to 6'6" in old money (Rotherhithe tunnel)

I've checked the car width from the LR site and it's wider than that but.... Depending on the layout of the width restriction (height if posts vs door mirrors) am not sure

Anyone got a nice little 6'6" restriction near them that they use or find they cannot use?

Thanks

Prestige 5dr SD4 auto. Lux pack. Ipanema sand/Spirit. Privacy glass. Ordered 10 Sept, delivered 6 March 2012
19-03-2013 05:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Width restrictions

Apparently the Rotherhithe restriction has been causing complete havoc today !

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
19-03-2013 05:44pm
Tosh

Duh! Never underestimate the stupidity of road planners!

Prestige 5dr SD4 auto. Lux pack. Ipanema sand/Spirit. Privacy glass. Ordered 10 Sept, delivered 6 March 2012
19-03-2013 05:46pm
griff

Never underestimate Transit Van Drivers who don't recognise 6'6' Laughing
Anyway fold the mirrors in and I think you scrape under the limit!

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 05:48pm by griff.)
19-03-2013 05:47pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My garage entry is 2100mm - which is just under 7ft and it's a tight squeeze with the mirrors folded in, like 10mm each side which is why the car sits outside (there's that and the fact that the garage is full of stuff I don't want to part with just so I can get a car inside it!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-03-2013 06:00pm
Frp1

I have got my transit past every width restriction that I have come across, but the mirror tend to be above the posts on each side.

Ben
19-03-2013 11:56pm
mark_n

If the width restriction is only at wheel level, I can recommend the surround camera system which looks down from the two mirrors and allows you to guide the car through. Going to slow everything down though. Ridiculous.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
20-03-2013 07:39pm
doug

(19-03-2013 11:56pm)Frp1 Wrote:  I have got my transit past every width restriction that I have come across, but the mirror tend to be above the posts on each side.

Ben

+1 on that.

Some people just can't gauge the width of there car Wink

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
21-03-2013 12:12am
Tosh

In case anyone is inerested... the restriction at Rotherhithe is set up at 6'6" with high kerbs but essentially it's that width at the wheels rather than at door or mirror height

Certainly if the intent was to stop panel vans, transits etc going through it has failed as the traffic through their last night was the same as normal. Meaning they've spent a bunch of money, created a load of traffic jams to achieve absolutely nothing other perhaps than disuading Aston and Lambo drivers from using the tunnel (not that you see many of them in SE London anyway!)

23-03-2013 12:32pm
scrannel

OK, resident Yank here -- what the hell is this all about anyway? Not really understanding...

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
23-03-2013 03:57pm