Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why Automatic
The Valeter

RE: Why Automatic

With the Si4 you have no choice but to have automatic. On this petrol model I would much rather have a manual. Sports models should be manual!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
14-10-2011 04:11pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

Don't forget the first Range Rovers were manual with high and low range and a gearbox which you had to go fishing in to find a gear! Smile

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 04:15pm by griff.)
14-10-2011 04:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tekno
Banned

If economy/saving the planet was a concern for me, I'd buy some sort of hybrid. For me this car is purely about what I want - I've chosen the engine and options I want without caring about resale, economy, what others think etc.

For me, I chose auto cos it's more relaxing, MUCH easier when in traffic, and it's a range rover. Its a bit odd having a manual range in my opinion (I can't imagine the queen wants to wiggle a gear stick around).
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 05:31pm by Tekno.)
14-10-2011 05:27pm
exigejoe

like they said its a RR; i have an Exige for the pleasure of a mannual and a pleasure it is!

Lotus Exige (aspen white) with VF supercharger kit, 413hp, 366lb/ft
Range Rover Evoque in fuji white and almond/espresso interior
2013 Audi A7 3.0T supercharged
14-10-2011 05:35pm
Tekno
Banned

Whilst on the subject of automatic gearboxes, does anyone know why the order is P, R, N, D? Seems odd to have to go through the reverse gear every time you want to drive away/park.
15-10-2011 05:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I have found this in Wikipaedia, don't know how correct it is:
Quote:Automatic transmission modes

Conventionally, in order to select the transmission operating mode, the driver moves a selection lever located either on the steering column or on the floor (as with a manual on the floor, except that most automatic selectors on the floor don't move in the same type of pattern as a manual lever; most automatic levers only move vertically). In order to select modes, or to manually select specific gear ratios, the driver must push a button in (called the shift lock button) or pull the handle (only on column mounted shifters) out. Some vehicles position selector buttons for each mode on the cockpit instead, freeing up space on the central console. Vehicles conforming to US Government standards must have the modes ordered P-R-N-D-L (left to right, top to bottom, or clockwise). Prior to this, quadrant-selected automatic transmissions often used a P-N-D-L-R layout, or similar. Such a pattern led to a number of deaths and injuries owing to driver error causing unintentional gear selection, as well as the danger of having a selector (when worn) jump into Reverse from Low gear during engine braking manoeuvres.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2011 06:03pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-10-2011 06:02pm
vinda

I chose auto for the first time for the comfort of driving really. Love manuals and when I jump into my manual civic type r I still love the control. No regrets with my decision tho.
17-10-2011 12:03am
MW73

Got the auto, first auto i've owned and it's great especially in sport mode when you want to put your foot down!
18-10-2011 07:24pm
PJ

I've got a manual and it's a very good, slick gearbox - no complaints. Most of my driving is out of town otherwise I think the auto would be the more logical choice. Also went for the manual due to BIK reasons (boring I know).

Arrived! OG 5dr Dynamic, shadow chromes, pano roof and few other bits.
18-10-2011 08:45pm
Token

Driving a Range is about relaxation and lazy driving (on the road that is) so changing gear is unwelcome effort!!

Plus...autos with paddles are so good now I don't know why anyone would buy a manual...other than financial constraints

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
19-10-2011 11:07am