Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very Poor Economy
e11smt

Very Poor Economy

Another quick question Smile

I've been driving the TD4 very economically and still can't average above about 38mpg, which is ridiculous compared to the claimed figures.

I have got around 54mpg on a long run before.

However, I find that the engine sometimes lags and then the MPG figures drop significantly and economy becomes poor. I also noticed that when this happens the Start/Stop stops working as well.

Land Rover updated the ECU software but I'm still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Elliot
31-01-2014 06:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Very Poor Economy

This happens when the DPF regeneration occurs, it burns extra fuel to heat the filter up to cleanse it...

I can only get above 40mpg when driving 50-60mph constantly on the motorway and other driving faster or in town return 34-36.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
31-01-2014 09:04pm
e11smt

You having a laugh -.-

How can they claim these MPG figures when it will never get that due to this DPF thing?

Is it possible to fix this/disable this DPF?

Cheers for the info
31-01-2014 09:50pm
rchrdleigh

MPG figures are based on an EU specified test and sadly bear little relation to what is achievable in real life. There are a number of sites where you can find real world figures posted by users of your particular vehicle.

DPF is mandatory on all EU spec vehicles and it cannot be legally disabled.
31-01-2014 11:02pm
e11smt

I've seen loads of places that offer a DPF removal and remap for about £200. I find it strange that it is required by EU although it's actually causing my vehicle to use more fuel??? Surely thats NOT good for the environment?? haha

Strange though, cus I also drive a corsa VXR and manage to get the claimed figures & more on that haha. I'd never get a diesel ever again, fully hate them.
31-01-2014 11:51pm
Bugblatter

38mpg? You are lucky! If you want mega fuel economy, you should not have bought an Evoque!

We get around 26mpg.

2017 Range Rover Evoque SE Tech Auto Firenze Red .
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 12:38pm by Bugblatter.)
01-02-2014 12:50am
Stadt Panzer

Very Poor Economy

Or buy the 9 speed (48mpg on the run home last night, 500 miles) [WINKING FACE]

Somewhere in the North Sea.
01-02-2014 08:41am
rchrdleigh

(31-01-2014 11:51pm)e11smt Wrote:  I've seen loads of places that offer a DPF removal and remap for about £200. I find it strange that it is required by EU although it's actually causing my vehicle to use more fuel??? Surely thats NOT good for the environment?? haha

There is an interesting response by Honest John in the Daily Telegraph today in which he clearly states that removing the DPF will result in an MOT fail as it is an illegal modification under the Construction and Use Regulations.
DPF only affects fuel consumption when it is regenerating which it doesn't do that often and even then it only adds 1 or 2 mpg to the overall figure for that period of time.
What has more effect is driving style and in particular if the vehicle is used for lots of short journeys or lots of journeys in stop/start traffic. If your use of the car is predominantly on these type of journeys then the Si4 petrol version is probably a better choice, if on the other hand you do predominantly long journeys on fast A roads or motorways then the diesel will be better and also get closer to the advertised figures.
I've never managed to achieve the combined fuel consumption figures in an Evoque but have in a Freelander SD4 auto!!!
01-02-2014 10:05am
Bugblatter

Quote:Or buy the 9 speed (48mpg on the run home last night, 500 miles)

We haven't had ours long enough to take it on a run but I would hope to get plus 40 on the motorway.

2017 Range Rover Evoque SE Tech Auto Firenze Red .
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 12:39pm by Bugblatter.)
01-02-2014 12:29pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I have to agree with Richard, I came to Evoque from 3.6ltr V8 Diesels in Range Rover and RRS and all my previous Land Rover vehicles have met the Official Fuel Consumption figures almost spot on, Evoque on the other hand has been my first one not even to get within 20% of the claimed consumption figure. Even my Defender on Mud Terrain tyres, with a heavy winch stuck out the front can manage to get 28-30mpg in local driving - it normally doesn't do motorway trips as it's somewhat painful on the ears at anything over 65mph. I'm really looking forward to being able to get my new Evoque from London to Stirling on a single tank of tractor juice, just like the Range Rovers and RRS's (OK they also had 100ltr tanks.....).
Have you had the dealership look to see if your parking brake is binding on slightly, it isn't an unknown problem?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-02-2014 02:15pm