Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UK Snow - Feedback on the Evoque's handling
j7david

RE: UK Snow - Feedback on the Evoque's handling

(19-01-2013 12:23am)Bodlyfunctions Wrote:  I just don't feel the need for winter tyres in the UK - sorry, not intending to offend anyone here who has them.

It's not that you/we *need* winter tyres, it's just that they do provide more and better grip and make life easier and safer (and in a few situations you'll be able to move -- or more importantly, stop -- with them but not with summer/"all weather" compounds).

We could all drive on slicks in the "summer" - it just wouldn't be the best idea.
19-01-2013 11:45am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdiamond

We partly bought the car (arrived last weekend) to cope with bad weather because of where we live. When the UK gets snow it is always worse down our road where there is a hill you have to go up one way and partially down one of the other sides. I have a BMW 520 and we also have a Mercedes 220 CLK and when snow hits we are stuck in the house sometimes for weeks.

Well all I can say is that the Evoque is brilliant! It went up and down the hill on packed snow as though it was normal tarmac. Didn't even use hill descent. Didnt slip or slide once and as we have only had it a week we have the standard tyres on (they are new of course).

Fuji White Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe Automatic, Black Interior, Panoramic Roof, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights, All Round Cameras, Meridian 825w Surround System and......spare wheel

Ordered: 25th November 2012
Delivered: 12th January 2013
19-01-2013 12:04pm
Urban Splash

I have factory fit 20's. Been up some steep hills in very deep snow this morning no bother at all...... The tires are Continental but not sure which type....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
19-01-2013 12:31pm
J77

Just took mine over the Lomond hills, plenty of snow, car handled brilliantly. Still has summer tyres on but coped better than I thought.

[Image: 6655b6d892101570287b23d522ed938c.jpg]

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2013 03:19pm by J77.)
19-01-2013 03:04pm
leveller

(18-01-2013 03:55pm)Big G Wrote:  With all the snow in the UK , just wondering what peoples experience of the Evoques handling in these real world conditions was like? Those with summer tyres v all weather, off road settings helping etc?
Thankfully no snow here - yet - Just wondering what people thought ?

I took mine out in the snow for the first time today. In all fairness the snow was very compacted but not very icy. Also the roads were relatively flat. The car handles extremely well and I felt confident she could handle a lot more. The drive left me wanting more!

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
19-01-2013 04:30pm
markwiggy

Car was superb in the snow, running 20'' Michelin summer tyres. Floored it up a local hill which was covered in snow and ice, car just dug in and flew up it, other vehicles couldn't get half way up.

Mark

Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Auto 5 door Orkney Grey Black Roof with Panoramic and Privacy Glass
19-01-2013 06:20pm
50dwill

Standard car out in 3/4 inches snow in the peak district no problem at all like how the dash changes to show where the wheels are pointing and i am no winter driver but will go where i would never have gone in the Audi A4/Laughing
19-01-2013 08:26pm
ED209

Mine on 18s has been awesome in the snow, theres a good 10-12 inches up here and it just keeps going, not a hint of wheels spin or loss of traction. Its soo good i havent even bothered clearing the snow off the drive.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
22-01-2013 12:49am
timhum

We live about 1/2 mile off the tarmac road with access via an undulating gravel track which can be quite an obstacle to getting out in the winter. As a result we've owned 4x4s for many years. Now we're on to an Evoque which has 18 inch wheels with Pirelli tyres and as you would expect no problem with 3 or 4 inches of snow and ice. As a comparison I fitted our Golf GTi with Continental winter tyres this year to see how it would compare to the 4x4. A very interesting result in that the Golf went anywhere that the Evoque did with no slipping and sliding whatsoever. Do we really need four wheel drive for these type of conditions and is it just overkill. I'm prompted to ask this question as my son and his wife live close to Geneva, over the border in France, hence loads of snow. Interestingly very few 4x4s over there but everyone has winter tyres fitted and there're don't seem to be any serious problems with driving around. admittedly the roads are ploughed but there is mostly a covering of snow on them and they are hilly. I would recommend anyone who has the chance to try winter tyres on snow and ice in a 2 wheel drive to give it a go, I reckon you will be very surprised, I certainly have been.
Tim
SD4 Pure, auto, Techpack, panoramic roof, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers
22-01-2013 11:49am
j7david

You don't need 4-wheel drive if your two driven wheels in a 2WD drive car can obtain traction, which they usually will on a smooth-ish road with winter tyres fitted.

4WD obviously will get you moving (or keep you in control) when your two front wheels are stuck spinning on ice.
22-01-2013 12:47pm