Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tyre Price & Life expectancy survey (Different Sizes) ?
flibberflops

Now that the Evoque has been out a out a while, there must be quite a few who have had to replace the rubber.

I thought it might be good to get an idea of how much a replacement costs on the three main sizes, 18", 19" & 20" and what kind of mileage have you been getting out of them?
23-01-2014 08:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

Had to replace the fronts after one had a nail in it and blow. Cost from a LR stealer was £300 odd each, 20".

Tyres had about 4mm on them and had done 30,000 miles

Somewhere in the North Sea.
23-01-2014 08:58pm
moofish

RE: Tyre Price & Life expectancy survey (Different Sizes) ?

Got about 22,000 miles and will replace them in the fall, probably around 30,000 miles. My LR Dealer has already indicated these tires are in the 'yellow' range for tread wear. They are good tires as far as traction goes, but I have to get something that will last at least twice as long. I've been looking online. At least in the US, there aren't too many choices for a good tire that lasts more than 40,000 miles. I've found two I would consider, so hopefully by fall there will be more choices available. I have the standard OEM 19" Continental Crosstour tires.
24-01-2014 02:45am
HeartbreakRidge

which two moofish? A check at Tirerack shows my likely alternatives as Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
24-01-2014 07:07am
heronb

40,000 miles? I don't have experience of tyre wear on the evoque but I normally get 20000 out of a set on previous cars. 30,000 will be great.
24-01-2014 09:59am
speary

I have used about 4mm of tread in 26000 miles which equates to 6500/ mm and assuming I change them at no less than 2mm tread left I have about 13000 miles of life in them yet. Having said that I will probably change them before they get down to 2 mm as that is a bit low for the uk's wet weather

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
24-01-2014 10:02am
trevd01

(24-01-2014 10:02am)speary Wrote:  I have used about 4mm of tread in 26000 miles which equates to 6500/ mm and assuming I change them at no less than 2mm tread left I have about 13000 miles of life in them yet. Having said that I will probably change them before they get down to 2 mm as that is a bit low for the uk's wet weather

My Evoque is on order, but...

Based on my SD4 auto Freelander, 45,000 miles or more should be possible. That runs on 17 in with Continentals in the summer and Vredesteins Wintracs in the winter, neither are half worn at that sort of mileage, with about 3mm used on each in about 22/23 k miles. The winter tyres are on Oct-March.

4wd vehicles tend to wear their tyres less than fwd, autos less than manuals, in my experience.

I will be keeping the 17in wheels and Wintracs to use on the Evoque in winter
24-01-2014 10:53am
moofish

(24-01-2014 07:07am)HeartbreakRidge Wrote:  which two moofish? A check at Tirerack shows my likely alternatives as Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season.

The Bridgestone is one and the other is Hankook Optimo H725. I stumbled upon the Hankook's at NTB's website. NTB also shows a Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 and a Michelin Latitude Tour HP that have 50,000 and 55,0000 mile rating respectively.
24-01-2014 11:44am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

After rather disappointing wear on Continentals on my first RRS I was delighted when the next one came with Pirellis..................... wear was much better on the Pirellis than Contis. I wasn't very pleased to find the Evoque was delivered on 20" Continentals and I too have to replace a front nearside one when I found I had a massive slash on the inside sidewall just before putting them back on after running on winter tyres. However my fear over poor tyre wear on the Evoque's Continentals was unfounded - I had worn off about 3mm in 23000 miles when I sold it - it only ever had the winter tyres on for the first winter and they racked up only 2500 miles. So all in all was quite pleased with the 20" Continetals apart from the cost to replace the damaged one - £300+ made me glad I had paid for wheel and tyre insurance as the new tyre was covered up to £270 maximum per claim so I didn't spend too much from my own pocket at the end of the day and recovered the cost of the premium.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-01-2014 06:10pm
m_101

Tim I have no idea how you get that sort of mileage! I'm at 19.5k and need to replace the front driver's tyre and have already had to replace the front passenger!
The other two are pretty good, however.
I'm thinking in Feb/March I'll change the rears to the fronts, and change the rears to Pirellis. I too have the wheel and tyre insurance which was invaluable when I had to get a new tyre after a puncture.
£255 for a new Pirelli 20" fitted, on Asdatyres.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
(This post was last modified: 24-01-2014 09:12pm by m_101.)
24-01-2014 09:11pm