Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Transmission Problem
tonydina

RE: Transmission Problem

(18-04-2013 11:19am)scrannel Wrote:  Not sure, but are you Canadians running only the petrol motor like we are in the States? If so, and I were you, I'd have two things checked: battery condition and ignition timing. Not sure of the Evoque tranny is user adaptive (some input user driving habits) but you might try "getting on it" more often. I run my 2013 (which is perfect, BTW) in Sport mode most of the time as that's really the mode the engine was designed to run in. I onlly put it in D when I'm on a freeway. But even if I run it in D, it's great.

Canadians and Americans are glued at the hip. Cars sold in the USA are made in Canada and vice versa. The only glaring difference is that in Canada running lights are on night and day, along with some minor pollution control standards that are different. The British cars, some soon to be made in India, have the same base differences as NA bulit cars. Canada has an aversion to diesel as do the Americans, even though we shouldn't. One of the best cars I have driven is a diesel powered Volks in Italy, great power and torque, and low diesel consumption.

I have tried it in S (Sport) mode. Runs better than in D mode for sure, yet....it has the opposite effect than in D mode. It shifts late rather than shifting when I would shift with a manual gearbox. Its just off. As mentioned the Fort escape with the same engine as the Evoque shifts seamlessly. follow link to a comparison of the Evoque and Escape; http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/...e-changer/

So, if you run it in D and it is great, then my Evoque must have some issue other than ECM software issues and/or timing issue.

Thanks for the heads up.
18-04-2013 08:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

(18-04-2013 08:24pm)tonydina Wrote:  Canadians and Americans are glued at the hip. Cars sold in the USA are made in Canada and vice versa. The only glaring difference is that in Canada running lights are on night and day, along with some minor pollution control standards that are different. The British cars, some soon to be made in India, have the same base differences as NA bulit cars. Canada has an aversion to diesel as do the Americans, even though we shouldn't. One of the best cars I have driven is a diesel powered Volks in Italy, great power and torque, and low diesel consumption.

I have tried it in S (Sport) mode. Runs better than in D mode for sure, yet....it has the opposite effect than in D mode. It shifts late rather than shifting when I would shift with a manual gearbox. Its just off. As mentioned the Fort escape with the same engine as the Evoque shifts seamlessly. follow link to a comparison of the Evoque and Escape; http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/...e-changer/

So, if you run it in D and it is great, then my Evoque must have some issue other than ECM software issues and/or timing issue.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hey Tony, Yeah, when in Italy I love running turbo diesel Alfas... but it still could be your timing too far advanced if not checked after an ECM update. If it is indeed adaptive, stomp it in D and see if ti gets the message!

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
18-04-2013 09:26pm
speary

(18-04-2013 09:26pm)scrannel Wrote:  Hey Tony, Yeah, when in Italy I love running turbo diesel Alfas... but it still could be your timing too far advanced if not checked after an ECM update. If it is indeed adaptive, stomp it in D and see if ti gets the message!

Its very unlikely that timing would be out on a modern ECU driven car. The timing of modern cars is dynamic to deal with varying fuels and conditions. Also not sure how engine timing would make the tranny release late or cause juddering. Ignition timing only affects petrol cars as diesels dont spark, they squeeze
Its more likely to be a problem with the torque converter lock up mechanism as lock up occurs at much lower speeds and in lower gears than it used to

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
19-04-2013 09:12am
PhilSkill

Indeed speary the timing will be based on the crank sensor and controlled by the ECU, no adjusting a set of points these days Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-04-2013 09:51am
scrannel

(19-04-2013 09:51am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Indeed speary the timing will be based on the crank sensor and controlled by the ECU, no adjusting a set of points these days Laughing

Correct -- but that doesn't mean the software update didn't mess it up. If my engine were making "pinging" sounds I would suspect timing, ie, pre-ignition. (petrol only, naturally). Of course, it could also be the result of using lower octane fuel. But if you are getting pre-ignition, then you still have to do something about it. If that means they have to reflash your ECU, then they have to.

In the US cars are set to run as "lean" as possible for pollution standards. This generally means ignition timing set "toward" advanced. However the entire "pollution" system can affect this. Thus on motorcycles, like my K1200R, disconnecting the O2 sensor will allow the bike to run "richer", and many people feel, run better. As an example.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 03:24pm by scrannel.)
19-04-2013 02:58pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Poor combustion could also be damaging your catalytic converter

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-04-2013 04:51pm
cutter7

Engines require a delicate balance of gas and air in which to function normally.

Any time that the air/fuel mixture is compromised in a car's engine, a whole host of problems can occur, including overheating.

A bad catalytic converter, by altering the combustion properties and ratios of a car's engine, can alter the correct air/fuel mixture, thus leading to an engine that overheats and performs poorly.

19-04-2013 06:23pm
RVA

I'm not having any engine performance problems, no overheating, no pinging, etc. When you push the car, it responds beautifully. I just have a transmission that, in the words of Car And Driver Magazine, "doesn't like to downshift". And I agree with "scrannel", going from D to Sport mode has the opposite effect, a car that "shifts late." I love everything about the Evoque, except for the occasional engine strain caused by a transmission that does not like to downshift soon enough. Apparently, other people are having the same experience, which makes me wonder why there is not a software update/fix.
19-04-2013 07:19pm
cutter7

(19-04-2013 02:58pm)scrannel Wrote:  Correct -- but that doesn't mean the software update didn't mess it up. If my engine were making "pinging" sounds I would suspect timing, ie, pre-ignition. (petrol only, naturally). Of course, it could also be the result of using lower octane fuel. But if you are getting pre-ignition, then you still have to do something about it. If that means they have to reflash your ECU, then they have to.

In the US cars are set to run as "lean" as possible for pollution standards. This generally means ignition timing set "toward" advanced. However the entire "pollution" system can affect this. Thus on motorcycles, like my K1200R, disconnecting the O2 sensor will allow the bike to run "richer", and many people feel, run better. As an example.

I own the K1200S, the O2 sensor is narrow-band only -- just a small range right around stoichiometric, or 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.

It also only functions at very light throttle, under about 15%, in other words it's useless for air/fuel tuning under many conditions, esp performance-related scenarios.

The ECU operates "open loop" (without O2 sensor feedback) much of the time. The bike will run fine with the O2 sensor disconnected completely -- no check lights, no "limp home"..

19-04-2013 07:44pm
tonydina

(18-04-2013 09:26pm)scrannel Wrote:  Hey Tony, Yeah, when in Italy I love running turbo diesel Alfas... but it still could be your timing too far advanced if not checked after an ECM update. If it is indeed adaptive, stomp it in D and see if ti gets the message!

Wish Chrysler would bring over some Alfas' here. They are great, especially in hilly areas. A true drivers car.

I will have try the stomping on my next highway trip.....
(19-04-2013 07:44pm)cutter7 Wrote:  I own the K1200S, the O2 sensor is narrow-band only -- just a small range right around stoichiometric, or 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.

It also only functions at very light throttle, under about 15%, in other words it's useless for air/fuel tuning under many conditions, esp performance-related scenarios.

The ECU operates "open loop" (without O2 sensor feedback) much of the time. The bike will run fine with the O2 sensor disconnected completely -- no check lights, no "limp home"..

I will be showing your post to my dealer. I am curious to see what he will say the next time I am in the area. I will also ask for a test drive of their current Evoque to see if its endemic to all the Evoques.
(This post was last modified: 20-04-2013 02:22pm by tonydina.)
20-04-2013 02:18pm