Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tow bar? options for bike carrier
ED209

RE: Tow bar? options for bike carrier

Had a quote today of £355 fitted for a fixed bar and landrover electrics. Wating to hear back re parking sensors still working and also if its the properly integrated electrics.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
11-04-2012 07:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PETERH

I followed the instructions supplied on this forum and found them to be most helpful.I fitted a Witter swan neck (not detachable) that required no cutting at all, supplied by PF Jones in Manchester total cost £233 for bar and 7 pin Landrover electrics.It took me longer to fit as I had trouble refitting the 4 bolts but resolved the issue by buying slightley longer bolts from B&Q for £2.
Personally I think the bar looks good,does not interfere with the reversing sensors and saves cutting a brand new car.
11-04-2012 07:57pm
ED209

(11-04-2012 07:57pm)PETERH Wrote:  I followed the instructions supplied on this forum and found them to be most helpful.I fitted a Witter swan neck (not detachable) that required no cutting at all, supplied by PF Jones in Manchester total cost £233 for bar and 7 pin Landrover electrics.It took me longer to fit as I had trouble refitting the 4 bolts but resolved the issue by buying slightley longer bolts from B&Q for £2.
Personally I think the bar looks good,does not interfere with the reversing sensors and saves cutting a brand new car.

That could be useful info. Confirm the parking sensors still work fine? and no cutting at all? Do you have any pics of it fitted? Does it have to go to the dealers for programming?

Can you post me the link of the exact bar you fitted? will normal cyle racks fit?

Sounds good, but would a numpty like me be able to fit it?

Lots of questions i know but could save me a good few quid and make a towbar an option again instead of roof bars.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 09:15pm by ED209.)
11-04-2012 09:07pm
ED209

Got myself a witter zx300 bike rack, took bloody ages to assemble though but it is really sturdy. £159.

Fixed towbar and electrics going on tomorrow £235 including fitting by a very reputable local company.

Most of it is being financed by sale of my own mountain bike, was going to give it to my brother for nowt but because it needed £30 spent on it he declined. His loss! Just sold it for £270

(This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 08:46pm by ED209.)
17-04-2012 08:44pm
ED209

Got the towbar fitted today. its a fixed witter bar with single electrics. Only cost £235 fitted.(cheaper than i could buy the parts for)

On the downside it sticks out a good bit further than i thought it would and as with all tow bars isnt exactly good looking.

On the plus side the fitter didnt need to cut the bumper, it will make my car a lot more practical and it might put off those who like to touch park. I suppose i could also totally remove it in future if i wanted to with no negative effect on the car.

I also cannot see it when i am driving the car!

[Image: imag0739b.jpg]

[Image: imag0740g.jpg]

[Image: imag0741h.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

18-04-2012 05:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Nice not having to cut the rear valance but I think I prefer the demountable LR one as it its almost invisible when the hook is removed.
[Image: d22b33b7.jpg]

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-04-2012 07:03pm
ED209

(18-04-2012 07:03pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Nice not having to cut the rear valance but I think I prefer the demountable LR one as it its almost invisible when the hook is removed.
[Image: d22b33b7.jpg]

Pointing out the obvious!

I would prefer one too. but after paying cash for the evoque, a new bike, an engagement ring, a fancy bike rack in the last fortnight I was a bit skint and went for the cheaper option.

18-04-2012 07:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It helps that the Dynamic's rear valance is black too! Congratulations on all the expenditure.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-04-2012 07:35pm
rvakia

(18-04-2012 05:36pm)ED209 Wrote:  Got the towbar fitted today. its a fixed witter bar with single electrics. Only cost £235 fitted.(cheaper than i could buy the parts for)

On the downside it sticks out a good bit further than i thought it would and as with all tow bars isnt exactly good looking.

On the plus side the fitter didnt need to cut the bumper, it will make my car a lot more practical and it might put off those who like to touch park. I suppose i could also totally remove it in future if i wanted to with no negative effect on the car.

I also cannot see it when i am driving the car!

[Image: imag0739b.jpg]

[Image: imag0740g.jpg]

[Image: imag0741h.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ED209, can you please tell me what Witter receiver you are using? im looking for one where cutting is not required on the rear. thanks
19-04-2012 02:21pm
ED209

Unfortunately i have no idea. The invoice just says R44. I just let the professionals get on with it.

I used hedleys towbars in Durham, if you contact them they might advise you.

19-04-2012 02:25pm