Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tow bar? options for bike carrier
ED209

Tow bar? options for bike carrier

Sorry if this is a repost but struggling to find what i want to know via search.

Basically i am consdiering the tow bar mounted bike rack option instead of roof bars. As i am a numpty fitting the bar myself isnt really an option.

So can any of you give me the best options/companies that will be able to fit me a tow bar. Preferably one that avoids a hole being cut in the bumper and has a detachable ball to maintain the cars looks.

Im also looking at value as I have just paid for a car and a new bike so i am a bit skint at this point in time!!

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
06-04-2012 10:20am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Tow bar? options for bike carrier

I don't think it is possible to fit a tow bar to the Evoque without some minor cutting, even on the Pure the rear diffuser is lower than the rear chassis part that the bar gets bolted into.

Regarding the bike rack http://www.roofbox.co.uk has some options that you might like for tow ball mounted racks (unless you already have that bit of the system) .

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 12:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-04-2012 12:03pm
ED209

(06-04-2012 12:03pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I don't think it is possible to fit a tow bar to the Evoque without some minor cutting, even on the Pure the rear diffuser is lower than the rear chassis part that the bar gets bolted into.

Regarding the bike rack http://www.roofbox.co.uk has some options that you might like for tow ball mounted racks (unless you already have that bit of the system) .

I had already looked at that site. Some of them look good value.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
06-04-2012 12:57pm
robc1738

(06-04-2012 10:20am)ED209 Wrote:  Sorry if this is a repost but struggling to find what i want to know via search.

Basically i am consdiering the tow bar mounted bike rack option instead of roof bars. As i am a numpty fitting the bar myself isnt really an option.

So can any of you give me the best options/companies that will be able to fit me a tow bar. Preferably one that avoids a hole being cut in the bumper and has a detachable ball to maintain the cars looks.

Im also looking at value as I have just paid for a car and a new bike so i am a bit skint at this point in time!!

Hi Ed

I have had my last two tow bars fitted at Hedleys at Drogonville Industrial Estate, Durham and they have made an excellent job and its local.
Let me know how you get on as mine is due for collection next week and thats where I will be getting mine done

Pure SD4 manual, Fugi, Ebony leather, black contrast pano roof, 20" black wheels, tinted windows, xenon lights, fogs, front parking sensors
06-04-2012 06:18pm
ED209

I emailed hedleys today actually,, not sure if they will be in being a bank hol. Might try and give them a call in the morning.

What sort of price did you pay for your last tow bars?? I am thinking 300 to 400 quid, but then again I am a towbar virgin!

06-04-2012 06:51pm
robc1738

(06-04-2012 06:51pm)ED209 Wrote:  I emailed hedleys today actually,, not sure if they will be in being a bank hol. Might try and give them a call in the morning.

What sort of price did you pay for your last tow bars?? I am thinking 300 to 400 quid, but then again I am a towbar virgin!

I paid about £300 on both cars, but I enquired with them when I first placed my order and if I remember right it was about £460 for a detachable tow bar!
Im not sure if they will need to cut any of the bumper at all but on one of my cars they had too but it was real tidy

Pure SD4 manual, Fugi, Ebony leather, black contrast pano roof, 20" black wheels, tinted windows, xenon lights, fogs, front parking sensors
07-04-2012 11:11am
ED209

£460 a bit more than i had hoped.

Been thinking. On the normal flange type bars I would assume you can still unbolt the towbar ball piece?

this would make it a bit tidier when not in use.

07-04-2012 11:22am
ED209

Got a quote from a landrover franchise that doesnt have a sales dept. Its as below, i am suprised with both the price and the fact they state a detachable towbar isnt compatible with a bike rack. Unless i find cheaper it looks like roof bars will be the way forward.

"Hi my colleague has asked me to look into the tow bar query. Unfortunately there is only the fixed tow bar that is equipped to take a bike carrier. The quick release tow bar will cost including 13 pin electrics £ 787.80 inc vat. Where as the fixed tow bar including electrics is £493.80 inc vat. Both tow bars require the cutting of the rear bumper cover."

10-04-2012 06:06pm
ED209

I have had a few quotes for tow bars now and to be honest i am thinking about scrapping the idea.

A towbar and a good towbar mounted cycle carrier comes in at £650-700.

A set of thule roof brs which the cycle carriers i already have will fit on about £140. (plus i will probably get £50 for selling my old bars)

Too much extra considering i will probably never actually use it to tow.

10-04-2012 10:04pm
ChuckieB

When I investigated at a local fitter I was quoted around £1100-1200 for a system. Detachable bar and Thule tilting rack. Looked good but I'll make do with what I've got for as long as I can!

I just wish I could more easily reach to get my bikes on. Can't do it without a set of steps which I then have to carry with me!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
10-04-2012 10:22pm